Best recommended Hooks ! So many out there. Help !

Just Paul 1

Reaction score
What are the best hooks for fishing for Roach, Rudd, Perch and Skimmers etc when using maggots or bread punch. . So many out there. A good all rounder would be great.

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
Sensas 3405 Hooks
Needle point sharp, fine wire but surprisingly strong.
Wire gets thicker as the hooks get bigger.
Ideal for hooking hard mouth perch and they hook and hold dace really well.
You can buy these pre-tied too.

rayner

Reaction score
For roach, 20s to 16s I use colmic nuclear WN501, a silver hook that's barbless I use WN401s in winter they are a finer wire, perfect in sizes 22s and 20s. Last time I looked for them they weren't available in the shop I use, If they stopped producing them I don't know. I only have a few packet left so need to find a replacement. In the tackle shop they recommend Tubertini to me, I haven't tried them yet but sometime I will.

steve2

Reaction score
Its one of those questions with no real answer it is all down the personal choice. I suggest you try a few patterns and see what suits your style of fishing. I couldn't even tell you what hooks I use it's usually the ones that match the size of the bait I am using.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I like b911 f1 or standard for general fishing but a nice strong hook with a wide gape is the b611 and is probably more suited to silver fish style of fishing.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm the opposite and never use barbless for anything.

Keith M

Reaction score
I have no choice as barbed hooks have been banned on nearly all of the venues I fish for years; except one venue where microbarbs have been allowed for the Carp Angler.

Keith

Paste paul

Reaction score
I have no choice as barbed hooks have been banned on nearly all of the venues I fish for years; except one venue where microbarbs have been allowed for the Carp Angler.

Keith
I once had a barbed hook imbedded in my finger ...... and it hurt having it removed I’ve never used a barbed hook since ........ as it happens a lot of places do tend to ban barbed hooks anyway....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I once had a barbed hook imbedded in my finger ...... and it hurt having it removed I’ve never used a barbed hook since ........ as it happens a lot of places do tend to ban barbed hooks anyway....

I have had both in my hands and would prefer the barbed, the barbless went in to the shaft!
Whichever goes in it has to be pulled out, difference is the barbless goes way deeper!

silvers

Reaction score
I like tubertini serie 2 , even better for caster than maggot. It’s strong enough in. 20 to catch chub to 3 pounds in clear swims, but light enough to catch finicky roach.

steve2

Reaction score
I believe that most of my hooks are micro barbed I stopped using barbless when I stopped fishing commercials carp ponds. But when I looked at the carp mouth I am sure that barbed would have been better and caused less damaged.
None of the waters I now fish ban barbed hooks in fact ones say no barbless hooks.

chevin4

Reaction score
For the larger species eg Tench Carp Bream I like the Pallatrax Grippx they are a hybrid hook with serations on the shank. I tend to use these where there is a barbless rule as less fish are lost (particularly in weedy water ) compared to a standard barbless hook. They are expensive but of very good Japanese quality. They are too heavy in the wire for perch fishing for perch I like the Kamason 983.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I believe that most of my hooks are micro barbed I stopped using barbless when I stopped fishing commercials carp ponds. But when I looked at the carp mouth I am sure that barbed would have been better and caused less damaged.
None of the waters I now fish ban barbed hooks in fact ones say no barbless hooks.
Not sure about less damage but I have heard this said before......
Another reason I stopped using barbed was when you got one caught in your trousers jumper nets whatever they usually ended up with holes in them barbless just slip straight out.
I will say I did switch to micro barb and do feel these are a good compromise though but when I started commercial angling I had to use barbless.
Which water bans barbless and what’s the reason ?

Richox12

Reaction score
Depends on size of bait etc but for punch B511 for small silvers (but B611 in bigger sizes for a big punch for chub). Maggot depends on whether it's pole work or running line work. Longer shank on pole work to make unhooking faster whereas short shank on line as they hold better. Both with curved points to help with swinging fish and not dropping them. Carbon Match and B560.

If I had to choose just one of these it would probably be the B560 as they go from 22's to 10's not heavy but also not too fine.