Best recommended Hooks ! So many out there. Help !

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Which water bans barbless and what’s the reason ?

One that I'm aware of is Ashmead in Somerset. The reason being the owner believes barbless hooks cause more damage to carp mouths by moving around in the course of landing instead of staying put as a barbed hook would.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Anybody remember Preston Innovations Pinch Barb hook, these were brought out as a compromise to barbed,Instead of a barb they had small raised profile, They were easy to unhook, most commercials allowed them.

Richox12

Reaction score
Anybody remember Preston Innovations Pinch Barb hook, these were brought out as a compromise to barbed,Instead of a barb they had small raised profile, They were easy to unhook, most commercials allowed them.

Be amazed if any fishery did ban them as they didn't have any barb

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Bit mad - they were totally barbless. But it's their fishery and their rules.
I know, I ended up showing packet to club secretary , and how easy it was to remove one from clothing, Next committee meeting they were allowed,
In the end the commercials allowed them,
I think it was because they were a new idea, and a few people didnt realise they were safe hooks.

Richox12

Reaction score
I know, I ended up showing packet to club secretary , and how easy it was to remove one from clothing, Next committee meeting they were allowed,
In the end the commercials allowed them,
I think it was because they were a new idea, and a few people didnt realise they were safe hooks.

Maybe it's a name thing ? Calling them Pinch Barb (is that correct ?) people focus on the word Barb. If they were Pinch Barbless maybe peoples thinking would have been the opposite. Essentially they were a barbless hook which had been forged below the point causing a large flat (and a weak part).

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Maybe it's a name thing ? Calling them Pinch Barb (is that correct ?) people focus on the word Barb. If they were Pinch Barbless maybe peoples thinking would have been the opposite. Essentially they were a barbless hook which had been forged below the point causing a large flat (and a weak part).
Rich they were called" pinch barb"
I found I had to strike a little bit harder to set the hook when I used them. Also I thought they were only good for sweetcorn ,segments of worm etc, I am sure I still have a packet somewhere.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Guru LWG is a good hook for all round fishing including silvers though in Winter I go down to Gamakatsu Green which are a finer wire.

General mixed fishing I like the Kamasan B911 but didn’t like the F1 version a single bit, found a lot of hook pulls from skimmers. Guru MWG also good.

I’m happy to use the pre tied gurus.

If you’re feeder fishing a circle pattern hook is required in my opinion.

Keith M

Reaction score
Rich they were called" pinch barb"
I found I had to strike a little bit harder to set the hook when I used them. Also I thought they were only good for sweetcorn ,segments of worm etc, I am sure I still have a packet somewhere.

I think I’ve still got a packet or two of these too; and I can’t see why they ever got banned by some fisheries.
Perhaps the should have named them ‘Pinched Barbless’ instead; for those that had never seen or heard of them.

Keith

rob48

Reaction score
If I had to choose just one of these it would probably be the B560 as they go from 22's to 10's not heavy but also not too fine.

^This^
Excellent all round hook for silvers, although I pinch the barb occasionally if I start to bump a few.
Previously I found the Middy T73-13s good for maggot and caster on running water and the t63-13s very good for pole-fished punch, caster and seed.
Sadly, the Middy's no longer seem to be available, although I'm sure they're still out there under a different guise.
Produced by Owner I think.

sam vimes

Reaction score
My go to hooks in smaller sizes for any maggot fishing, even for good sized fish, are Drennan Wide Gape match. Not much use for barbless only venues, but bob on for river anglers and decent lumps in stillwaters that still allow (micro)barbs. They have an excellent balance between strength and finesse.

For bigger hookbaits, or multiple maggots, I've taken to using Browning Sphere Beasts (also available in a barbless variant).

All of the forty tench I've had post lockdown have been on one of these two types of hook. IIRC, the 7lb 15oz fish was on a size 16 Drennan Wide Gape Match.

Reaction score
Amazing,Chris do you trot bunches of maggots like Ian,Down here i've found the only species(of any size) that take a bunch trotted are perch,chub in particular rarely take more than two grubs,when I saw Ian's picture of a chub with a mass of maggot on the hook I was stunned,different venues,different habits???

sam vimes

Reaction score
Amazing,Chris do you trot bunches of maggots like Ian,Down here i've found the only species(of any size) that take a bunch trotted are perch,chub in particular rarely take more than two grubs,when I saw Ian's picture of a chub with a mass of maggot on the hook I was stunned,different venues,different habits???

Yes,I was trotting three or four maggots on a size 14 Wide Gape Match the other night. It dissuades the minnows a little but I can still find the dace, chublets, grayling and trout. I even had a solitary roach. I've never had one this far up the river.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes,I was trotting three or four maggots on a size 14 Wide Gape Match the other night. It dissuades the minnows a little but I can still find the dace, chublets, grayling and trout. I even had a solitary roach. I've never had one this far up the river.

Three or four, i'd put that many on for baby minnows! :).

Alan, I squash at least 7 to 10 maggs on a 14's hook, very often 14 maggs and it nevers seems to stop my hitting the fish at all, they don't mask the point as is often said.
Dace and even minnows take them easy enought. I've found even small fish can squash soft baits like maggots and get them into their mouths, so long as the hook insn't too big. I mean, if I use a 14s superspade stuffed with maggots small rudd (for example) will take them no problem, but, if up the hook size with the same number of maggots on it those smaller fish very often can''t get it in their mouths because of the width of the gape, they can't squash the maggots any further than the width of the hook, if you get my meaning.

Check out this breams gob full...

This little tiddy barbel..

You can just make out the maggs in this daces gob, you can see it's got a propper gob full..

Here's another...

Last edited:

silvers

Reaction score
tigger, Sam viMrs,

out of interest - how do you feed? How much, frequently etc?

also, when you’re stuffing a relatively small hook with multiple grubs ... do you suffer lots with maggot doubling back over the point of the hook? Ie. Bumped fish due to point not penetrating?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
tigger, Sam viMrs,

out of interest - how do you feed? How much, frequently etc?

also, when you’re stuffing a relatively small hook with multiple grubs ... do you suffer lots with maggot doubling back over the point of the hook? Ie. Bumped fish due to point not penetrating?

When on the river and float fishing I just feed maggots and corn by hand or with a catty and feed nothing else at all. The ammount and frequency I feed depends on how things are developing, no point chuckin' expensive maggots in if there's no rewards.
If I was to leger I often do exactly the same, unless i'm out and legring when I might use pellets, meat etc, but again I try to feed by hand or catty and guesstimate where my freebies are going to hit bottom, then cast onto or as near to them as possible.
I try to avoid using a feeder and use as light a weight as I can get away with.
I never have a problem with maggots doubling over and masking the hook.
This is typicaly how I load a 14's hook baited with maggots for a lot of my fishing....

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
When on the river and float fishing I just feed maggots and corn by hand or with a catty and feed nothing else at all. The ammount and frequency I feed depends on how things are developing, no point chuckin' expensive maggots in if there's no rewards.
If I was to leger I often do exactly the same, unless i'm out and legring when I might use pellets, meat etc, but again I try to feed by hand or catty and guesstimate where my freebies are going to hit bottom, then cast onto or as near to them as possible.
I try to avoid using a feeder and use as light a weight as I can get away with.
I never have a problem with maggots doubling over and masking the hook.
This is typicaly how I load a 14's hook baited with maggots for a lot of my fishing....

Very similar to how I fish the margin dead maggot. Fish simply can't resist.