Lack of improvisation

rayner

Reaction score
It appears we have one or two anglers on this forum who are more than a little highbrow verging on snobby regarding how they fish as opposed to others. It really does make me howl with laughter when they spout their objections or distaste to how and where other anglers fish.
They would get more credibility by just keeping their gobs firmly closed. Of course, they are entitled to an opinion no matter how misguided it is but to put in print how miserable they are is not good in my book.
It's not good thinking their way is the only way and everyone else is of lower ability when it's probably their ability that's lacking.
So far as innovation goes why worry when companies employ folk with far more knowledge than any of us. Just pay for the effort they put in and enjoy your fishing whichever Jandreau.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Some of you may have missed the point? If you go fishing knowing that you are going to catch and knowing what you are going to catch then that is not fishing! If that's what you want then why not - there is obviously a market for it! If you enjoy sitting around a carp puddle facing each other then why not!? Or maybe it's a case of all the gear but no idea?

Off subject but it was previously mentioned that someone earned £160000 last year. Nothing new in people making money from fishing but is that what fishing is really about?

Enjoy your fishing, do you own thing, don't be fooled into thinking that you need the latest everything. Find the quiet places - they really still exist. It's now 4.21am and I am going fishing somewhere quiet!
So if say a salmon or trout angler goes to a water that only holds salmon or trout.He knows what he is going to catch , You are saying that is not fishing ,?
Well I know one thing ,its not playing golf or rugby.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fishing (some) commercials does remind me of the old saying "like catching fish from a barrel".
On such waters there are few or no snags, they are highly stocked so the fish are always willing to oblige because they are starving hungry to the point of loosing their fear of being caught.

These places serve a purpose and each person can pick their poison, me personally, I prefer a bit of a challenge, but, I have been known to frequent the odd still water where the fishing is quite easy. After yesterdays session I think i'm due to have a easier days fishing, both fish wise and access wise, walking in this heat is a passion killer!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Fishing (some) commercials does remind me of the old saying "like catching fish from a barrel".
On such waters there are few or no snags, they are highly stocked so the fish are always willing to oblige because they are starving hungry to the point of loosing their fear of being caught.

These places serve a purpose and each person can pick their poison, me personally, I prefer a bit of a challenge, but, I have been known to frequent the odd still water where the fishing is quite easy. After yesterdays session I think i'm due to have a easier days fishing, both fish wise and access wise, walking in this heat is a passion killer!
Ian if I can get up near wigan ,I will take you on a commercial that can be be feast or famine fish wise, and they know every snag in the place.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
20200810_145623.jpg
20200810_145727.jpg
I bought a Guru 190 Fusion float cube today for various sized pellet wagglers.
Looking at it when I had put a few floats in it , gave me an idea,
Remove the floats on a day like today ( hot and sunny) and put them in original container I was using.
In there place ,a couple of small ice packs and a tin of pop, and some chocolate as well if fancied some.
The float cube is waterproof and has a full zip around the lid. It would be used when fishing to save me keep going to main cooler bag for my drink.
20200810_145633.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ian if I can get up near wigan ,I will take you on a commercial that can be be feast or famine fish wise, and they know every snag in the place.

Ok Mark, i'm not sure my tackle can hadle ewt of any size though ?.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can lend you a rod that will do both silvers and carp, reel as well,

Thanks Mark, good on ya bud, but I was only jokin', I have plenty of stuff.
Very kind of you to offer though, yer a gent :).
I'd rather try for something decent sized and get a decent bend in my carbon ?.

peterjg

Reaction score
Markcw: steady! You could be accused of improvising!

Seriously though if you fellas enjoy fishing commercials then why ever not? Possibly the commercials keep my favourite spots nice and quiet.

Back to subject. Along with commercials, if some anglers are happy just to thoughtlessly copy others then why not? Or if some anglers want to do their own individual thing then they can try alternative ideas. Some ideas are rubbish, some work.

mikench

Reaction score
Most aspects of life involve convenience, availability and cost effectiveness. Why try to reinvent the wheel?

On the many waters I try my hand, the pegs are all different, the swims are different. I had a little trip today where I could use a 13' float rod without fear of overhanging and close tree branches. Often it's a 10'6"" rod and I still get snagged

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Markcw: steady! You could be accused of improvising!

Seriously though if you fellas enjoy fishing commercials then why ever not? Possibly the commercials keep my favourite spots nice and quiet.

Back to subject. Along with commercials, if some anglers are happy just to thoughtlessly copy others then why not? Or if some anglers want to do their own individual thing then they can try alternative ideas. Some ideas are rubbish, some work.
Thoughtlessly copy in which way, ,?
It's no good trying to copy everyone in a match especially on a commercial,
Pellets may be the in bait for a couple of weeks, so instead of fishing single pellet, try double pellet , Or try corn. Another way is to lash handfuls of maggots in before they become the in bait. Anglers are always looking for an edge in a match. If everyone starts off at 16 metres and potting bait in, cast a small feeder 20 metres while feeding closer in, the fish move away from all the bait going in , so your bait at 20 metres would get picked up. Similarly by fishing the margins for a few fish early on can work.
@peterjg You have not said what type of fishing you do, or if matches are involved.

peterjg

Reaction score
Markcw: in answer to your question. Like most anglers then I started as a general course fisherman with my dad in the late '50s. Fishing mainly the Thames. I started serious carp fishing in 1975 and fished for them until 2013 when I moved to Hampshire. Carp fished in the summer with mostly roach fishing in the winter. I was very lucky in that the two clubs that I was in (at the time) had probably the best carp waters nationally - a good carp was 35lb plus. The waters were quiet, big, very beautiful and secure, even then there was a 10 year waiting list. I even had my own rowing boat and mooring on one 50 acre pit. I know many anglers that have caught lots more carp than I, but I have managed 3 x 40s, 42 x30s and around 300 20s.
Now I try (note the word 'try') to catch big roach. I have some success but they are much harder than big carp. I belong to five clubs and much prefer quiet venues than carp filled holes in the ground. I have managed a few 2lb roach but would love a 3 - no harm in dreaming!
No I don't match fish, I no doubt would be thrashed - but that is not the reason. I like a challenge but will not fish for monetary gain, or choose to sit in a circle around a muddy puddle facing someone and catching over stocked half staved mouth damaged carp.

Everyone to their own I suppose?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Markcw: in answer to your question. Like most anglers then I started as a general course fisherman with my dad in the late '50s. Fishing mainly the Thames. I started serious carp fishing in 1975 and fished for them until 2013 when I moved to Hampshire. Carp fished in the summer with mostly roach fishing in the winter. I was very lucky in that the two clubs that I was in (at the time) had probably the best carp waters nationally - a good carp was 35lb plus. The waters were quiet, big, very beautiful and secure, even then there was a 10 year waiting list. I even had my own rowing boat and mooring on one 50 acre pit. I know many anglers that have caught lots more carp than I, but I have managed 3 x 40s, 42 x30s and around 300 20s.
Now I try (note the word 'try') to catch big roach. I have some success but they are much harder than big carp. I belong to five clubs and much prefer quiet venues than carp filled holes in the ground. I have managed a few 2lb roach but would love a 3 - no harm in dreaming!
No I don't match fish, I no doubt would be thrashed - but that is not the reason. I like a challenge but will not fish for monetary gain, or choose to sit in a circle around a muddy puddle facing someone and catching over stocked half staved mouth damaged carp.

Everyone to their own I suppose?
Fair enough, but you have contradicted yourself, by saying if you know what you are going to catch is not fishing, yet you fished for carp and now roach.
As for matches, there are large canal matches as well as river matches,not just sat round muddy puddles as you call them.
There are some commercials, whose landscaping and layout would put a country park to shame,

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I find these descriptions of commercial so stereotyped I wonder if the describers have actually found and fished these waters. Which would be OK except it would put a lot of people fishing what can be some of the best waters in the county I live. In fact if I had to choose one water over all others it would be a commercial, it has 8 lakes, a mile of river and two ponds. One lake is called the snag lake because you guessed it it is snaggy, One lake is bream and tench only, several lakes of good mixed fishing, one smaller carp lake and one specimen carp lake. The ponds were good as well. It is all set in the beautiful picturesque Weald of Kent. As to easy, it was the same as any water, the fish might be feeding or not and if not you had to work and think hard for them. Unfortunately because of changed circumstances I cannot travel to it any more and have not been for a long time but definitely the best water I have fished.
I came across a few places similar to this at least in some aspects and when you think about it perhaps commercials are the best innovation to come our way in a generation.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know which is worse, a canal, or a genuine carp/ commy puddle ?.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
One of the best looking commercials I fished is Holgan Farm near Tenby, its owned by Ian Heaps a former world champion angler.
Its lawned, has flower beds, plenty of rushes and lilies, it looks like a stately home lake,
Another good set up is Lloyd's Meadow at Frodsham.
A lot of owners of commercials live on the complex, so in some cases it seems as if you are fishing in their garden, the layout is that good.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've always fancied fishing a genuine estate lake for tench, and a genuine chalk stream, two things i'd like to do before I hang me boots up!

bullet

Reaction score
Yes, there's certainly a lot available.
If I wander around the Carp section of my local tackle shop,there are endless little bags of this and that, I don't know what 90% of it is.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oi...!!!! Behave, you have been sniffing packets of Pro Gold again.

Narrh, wouldn't touch fools gold while I can get hold of sensor :).

I really dislike canals, been along a section of canal on the mtb this avvey and fishing it would be like torture for me. There's way to many people, people with dogs and kids, idiots running, mtb's rattling past....i'd finish up inflicting GBH within half an hour and have to get off before the law rocked up!