How did you get on?

bullet

Reaction score
A reasonble week fishing wise, I've been concentrating on the Fly of late, and a rare mid week day off saw me heading up to the lake I fished a few weeks back as the daytime river fishing has been very poor.
I'd heard it had a good head of Wild Browns as well as the Stocked Rainbows, so I thought I'd focus on those.
Very sensible ticketing up there, catch and release on the Browns compulsory, then either a 5 fish limit on the Rainbows, or 2 fish limit and catch and release.
I opted for the latter, as a couple of Trout are more than enough for me, and they stock decent sized fish of 2.5lb plus.
On arrival I could see a good number of Garden Chafer beetles in the bushes and buzzing about, ( I'm not even going to try spelling their proper name, which is Welsh!)
If these get on the water they can trigger a very good rise, and they did.
I headed off to a nice piece of the lake with willows lining the bank and started wading gently along the margins, fish were rising here and there to the beetles and it wasn't long before I had a decent brown on..

IMG_20210630_110841373.jpg

I caught a good few more, all within a few yards of the bank, some really nice ones showing and also a couple of Rainbows which were getting in on the action.

About 4 pm I decided to head home, and walking back to the Van I passed a nice bay on the Lake where the wind was obviously blowing the Beetles onto my shore judging by the swirling and rising going on.
It seemed churlish not to have a bash and I ended up with 3 Rainbows in about 20 minutes, all on a foam beetle and just yards from the shore....

IMG_20210630_163211305.jpg

Good fun, and nice to get a few fish that pull the string a bit!

flightliner

Reaction score
Had a bit of a trip down memory lane today.

For many years I fished the river Idle around Bawtry and the Chesterfield canal around Everton, Misterton etc.
But that was fifteen years or more ago.

I have a new fishing buddy who expressed interest in the same venues so tackle loaded we set off on an exploratory journey to find what is available.

First port of call was the tackle shop in Bawtry to ask about local venues only to be told by the young lad on duty he knows nothing about local waters or who has the fishing rights.

Then off to see the canal at Everton and Drakeholes then Clayworth but it was very shallow and weedy as well as gin clear with about 18 inches of water. Plenty of fish to be seen though.

Backtracking we ended up at Gringly Carr on the Chesterfield canal, with around two feet of depth, but still weedy and gin clear but hundreds of small roach.

Set up a 14' ultralight and Sheffield 'pin with a very short two number 4 insert waggler at about 12inch deep fished to hand whip style.
Just fed a few maggots per put in and it was a bite a chuck from roach and rudd of 1oz to 3oz in the top layers occasionally the bait would get through the hordes to a slightly better stamp at around 6oz to 8oz but no real netters.

Fished from about 2pm until about 8pm and managed around 94 (miscounts are possible) fish, but probably missed/ bumped off another 30.

All in all a very enjoyable day seeing old venues and feeling like a kid catching nothing but bits, because every fish was a fin perfect specimen and glinted like jewels in the sun.

There is pleasure in knowing you're the first to catch these fish.
Soggy, I fished the Chesterfield canal at Wiseton, maybe late october last year.
Skip back a bit on this thread to find it if you can.
Lovely day and a lovely place!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Not having fished during the close (although have been ‘fish spotting’ most days) I have now had a few sessions during the past couple of weeks on the flowing water in the fields over the back. Most have been a few hours either side of midday armed with the 2000 Microlite or Titan, pin, bag, net and either a few slices of 50/50 or some reds. Mainly targeting the roach and dace, with a couple of chub sessions. No monsters yet this season but enjoyable sport in a peaceful environment…………….
july2021stream.JPG
isejuly2021.JPG
roachrijuly21.JPG
chubri.july21.JPG

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Well....that was rubbish.

I had a gut feeling this morning not to go but the car was packed and I was up so I went. Lake looked lovely and I got the same swim that gave me 20 crucian a week ago. Today I managed 1 crucian and 1 bream ( plus rudd) and I had to wait until nearly lunchtime before I got a proper bite from a proper fish. I had a couple of crucian like nudges after a couple of hours but only 1 other possible proper bite. It was the same for everybody.

I wasn't too concerned at first as it can take an hour sometimes before bites start but after a couple of biteless hours I was beginning to fear the worst. I've been done like this down there before.....for no reason that anyone can fathom the entire lake just switches off and all you can catch is the odd bit.

I gave it until 2pm and then retired defeated.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Sally wanted a camping trip to Entraygues-sur-Truyère for her Birthday celebrations. Some of our friends would be there so a party was a certainty!

I have a very understanding wife, she knew fishing was a certainty for me!

Sally was happy for Alistair and I to head off fishing for a few hours whilst she would explore Entraygues-sur-Truyère one afternoon.

So we headed upriver to Estaing where we had spotted a barbel from the bridge the day previously.

Barbel from bridge.jpg

Unfortunately the heavy rain on Friday night was finding its way down in mountain rivulets and the muddy water stained the previously crystal waters of the Lot.

So we fished, but not in great expectation!

I decided barbel were unlikely in the conditions. Perhaps a half stewed worm on a very small hook would bring me a gudgeon for bait? The idea being that a catfish (silure) might not be put off by murky waters and a little gudgeon bait might temp leviathan!

The silure helped me out by eating the worm on the tiny hook! At least the gudgeon was "let-off-the-hook". But now I had the problem of getting a belligerant silure to my landing net, on a very thin line and tiny hook!

Luck was with me and after several minutes of a very dirty fight, Monsieur Silure was in my net. Embarrassingly landed to cheers from a group of tourists above me! The line to my little hook had nearly been cut through on the submerged rocks, I had a lot of the fishing Gods smiling on me this day!

Silure top of lake.jpg

Alistair was not so lucky, but still smiling fishing such a marvellous river!

Alistair Estaing.jpg

The Runner

Reaction score
Got old mate staying for a few days fishing, first two days have been a bit slower than expected.
Went to Kilmaluag yesterday, small tide and the pollack were fewer and smaller than usual. Tony had three about about 2 to 3 lb and I only had one smaller one and a few coalies. A couple I know who are regular visitors to the island turned up later , their pollack were all small as well but they had two codling of about 3lb each on lures and oddly a couple of Ling about 2lb each. Not seen that before...
Over to Ullinish today and slow without the usual dogfish . I had one doggie second chuck, added a dragonet of all things, before finally getting a Thornback, my first here. Added a second , a bit bigger, two hours later but no pic of that as by that time it was chucking it down.
Staffin probably tomorrow and then last weeks spurdog mark if mate feels up to the loooooong walk.
One of Tony’s pollack, and my Ray...
6EA16ACC-8100-4FB3-8611-3D5B4A1B46FC.jpeg
29039474-8614-4597-B9FB-E36A2D2563CB.jpeg

seth49

Reaction score
Late start yesterday because of the rain, raining when I got up at 7am, and carried on till about ten before stopping, quick call to mick and Neil and we decided to set of at eleven as it was forecast to be dry for the rest of the day, arrived in light drizzle which last about an hour, one chap who was leaving said it had been dry all morning typical.

Usual set up one rod in margin on alarm, with method feeder and set my pole up for the tench and silvers, worm not as good today, more tench and roach on corn,
First fish a tench on feeder, and then a few tench and roach on my pole, also foul hooked a carp when I struck at a bite of something else, gave me a run around till the hook pulled just leaving me with a scale.

With the late start the day went very quickly, it was soon 5 pm and a few carp started coming into the margins, and I did catch a small ghostie of about four pounds, on the pole, was going to stay till dusk but the rain started again at seven and got very heavy as well, so packed up in the rain, everything was wet as well, did get a good take on the feeder rod but it came off.

Loaded in car in heavy rain and set of home, and would you believe it two mile down the road it stopped and everything was dry, when I got home it rained again as I unloaded the car, at least it’s forecast to be dry on Thursday,
So now the dehumidifier is working hard drying everything out for the next time.
1D5BD1A0-873F-45A9-915A-6E7BE0FF0137.jpeg
28C5A5A8-BE17-47F8-8DE5-78EB6712F921.jpeg

chevin4

Reaction score
Following a very relaxing couple of days at Wooda Lakes near Bude I spent Monday and Tuesday fishing the Trent near Newark. It's the first time I have fished the river but with a rising river good swims were at a premium. My mate who fished a nice slack caught barbel to 10lb 6oz with several nines. He proved that Trent fishing is not just about 3lb tc rods and 6oz leads as he used a centre pin and an 10ft Mark 1V Carp rod and 1oz lead. I blanked the first day but avoided a blank on the second day by catching a barbel approx 5lb. I enjoyed the experience the swims we fished were tight and served as a reminder to bring along an 11ft rod next time

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Following a very relaxing couple of days at Wooda Lakes near Bude I spent Monday and Tuesday fishing the Trent near Newark. It's the first time I have fished the river but with a rising river good swims were at a premium. My mate who fished a nice slack caught barbel to 10lb 6oz with several nines. He proved that Trent fishing is not just about 3lb tc rods and 6oz leads as he used a centre pin and an 10ft Mark 1V Carp rod and 1oz lead. I blanked the first day but avoided a blank on the second day by catching a barbel approx 5lb. I enjoyed the experience the swims we fished were tight and served as a reminder to bring along an 11ft rod next time
How did you get on at Wooda, ?
I was there last year and again in May this year, booked for October as well.
I had some decent fish from the first pool you come to, the tench pool was also fishing well at the time.
I was going to have a go on the Bude canal and Tamar but never got round to it.

chevin4

Reaction score
How did you get on at Wooda, ?
I was there last year and again in May this year, booked for October as well.
I had some decent fish from the first pool you come to, the tench pool was also fishing well at the time.
I was going to have a go on the Bude canal and Tamar but never got round to it.
Hi Mark didnt fish the first lake but my brother in law fished with bread and caught 5lb plus fish for fun. We only fished after dinner but I caught small tench from 2 and decent carp from 3 fishing next to lily pads. Spoke to an angler the morning we left who had 3 carp to 14lb from 5.

mikench

Reaction score
The dynamic duo, well Gordon and I went fishing to the pool Gordon had a great day on last Friday.

IMG_0342.JPG

There are very few pegs, maybe 2 , which are not a float casting nightmare and I got the best one. We both struggled for anything of any size . We caught consistently on maggot but all small roach and perch. There was little sign of any fish activity and I left Gordon still pursuing a bend in the rod. On reflection a 15' rod and pin with just a flick out of the float might have been a good idea on the other pegs. It rained a little and, being in shade, felt just a bit chilly. We enjoyed the fresh air, a good chat on adjacent pegs and catching even though nothing requiring a net. Thanks Gordon and I hope you pulled it off after I left. I have family to stay from tonight for a couple of weeks so no fishing for a while. I hope the fish will be waiting eagerly??

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Another morning on the town pit with gb method feeder and Size 16 QM1 hook with treble maggot. Casting out about 75 yards.
Had first pull round after an hour, a tench which fell off close in. This was followed by another one shortly after ….

26F33124-AB32-481B-97AE-860B48BC5C10.jpeg

Next tug on the tip and a 7:8:0 slab which put up a proper fight …

27457E50-5EB9-4EC8-82D6-55D50653E9B7.jpeg
27457E50-5EB9-4EC8-82D6-55D50653E9B7.jpeg

Very quiet and peaceful today for a public Nature reserve cum park.