How did you get on?

seth49

Reaction score
Back on our club water again yesterday, it’s fishing quite well at the moment, usual set up margin rod which blanked again, and my pole for tench silvers etc, cupped some ground bait in with chopped worm, and my first fish was a barbel, and then F1s roach and skimmers, if the bites stopped I just put some more chopped worm in, and the bites started again,really finding this an effective way of fishing.

Did catch a few tench later plus a couple of small carp as well, around three the carp started turning up in the margins, so switched to them, not easy these were some of the bigger carp, and they had seen it all before, did hook one on paste and played it on the pole for around ten minutes, had it going around in circles but it stopped deep and wouldn’t come up in the water, tried to lift it up a bit and the hook pulled,?

Tried to get another as they were still coming into the margins, but couldn’t get a bite of them, tried everything I could without success, they just fed on the 2 mm pellets and nothing else, still it was an enjoyable day, with plenty of smaller fish, some nice roach as well.
5698AAC5-91DC-49DC-908C-FCF997E25E4D.jpeg
9D0C4BEF-770E-4910-A8FE-A4283879B56A.jpeg
0FC7303E-F14A-4AD2-9C9A-32C24093175B.jpeg
74CECBED-6FD3-4AFF-B419-0F65CE9C493D.jpeg

nottskev

Reaction score
Fishing is an afternoon or evening game for me, and has been for a good while. I'm out of the morning habit, with not working; some of the meds leave me vaguely stupefied on waking, and everything works better after a leisurely breakfast. Lunch, too, come to that. Still, I enjoyed fishing for chub on a little river the other afternoon, so I rashly decided to get up early and have another go for them on a bigger local river, the Derwent.

I thought I was handling the get up and go pretty well, but finding I'd left the bag with keepnet, side tray and any baits larger than hemp and caster at home took the shine off things a bit. I was tackling up a block-end feeder when these stopped by, something I'd not seen before

Es.jpg

The pic's a bit out of focus but so was everything else. It was soon clear that there were just too many small fish - dace, roach, chublets - about, and not enough chub to push them out. So I fished away, catching a dozen bits and missing half a dozen bites and every now and then the rattle on the tip turned out to be a proper fish. I was fishing across a wide section to trees, 35-40m away, so I seemed to spend all my time filling a feeder, casting and reeling in.

I ended up with three chub

Es 2.jpg
Es1.jpg

Es3.jpg

And one colourful roach

Es4.jpg

I think I'll go back to afternoons/evenings.

lakhyaman

Reaction score
It’s been a while since I fished. But I was finally able to get up to the tea estate for a long overdue inspection.

The largest water had been off limits for fishing for the last ten years or so as it was maintained as a mixed tilapia, carp and catfish commercial fishery (for the market). But the fish have been netted and a decision has been made to leave it as a cyprinid fishery in a non intensive manner. Whatever netting is done there are always a few left over. As it is a pleasant place to fish as well, I immediately opted to fish there on completing the inspection of the estate.

Jibon and Gang, who look after the estate waters and accompany me while I fish, set up a platform under a young Ficus (Ficus benghalensis) tree which provided much needed shade. It is just the beginning of the monsoon and very hot and humid. They did so by the simple expedient of draping a wooden charpoy over a bamboo frame which they had tied up in the shallow margins.

8B00DFDF-32A0-4157-9423-B542C8D9DFAB.jpeg

In the shade of the Ficus

The tree hangs quite low over the water so I was limited as to the length of rod I could use. The shortest rod I had in the battery I had taken up with me was an old Hardy 4/5 weight fly rod. I am sure the makers of the rod will roll their eyes if they ever see the use that I put their product to, but rods are meant to catch fish with.

No doubt I will be preaching to the choir in trying to explain the technique I used, but basically it is float legering with the casting done by the coiled line method.

Lacking the water that comes in with the monsoon the depth was pretty shallow throughout the pond. I only was looking to put the bait out twenty or so feet from the end of the rod, so ground baited the area with rapeseed oil cake wetted with sugar syrup and scented with lesser galangal, fenugreek and white flag. A fly reel loaded with twelve pound fluoro (excessive I know, but when casting by the coiled line method you need some thickness of line to swing it out by hand). I slid a 2 bb Crystal waggler on. The rig including the end tackle is better shown than explained - just a simple running leger.

94EA7E94-DBEB-4B6C-AA4B-91360D1C19DD.jpeg

The hook length is 2 1/2” of braid for flexibility given the stiffness of the heavy fluoro retied later for the photo with the old rig components.

To counter the shallowness of the water and to help trap the float in the angle of the line I sank the rod tip about six inches under the water, using a tackle box to rest the reel on , thus increasing the angle of the rod into the water. I slid the float to the sunken rod tip, coiled the line neatly on the platform and cast out pendulum fashion, by hand.

2A2581AA-E625-4AE1-91F6-2F801555AC5D.jpeg

Float at rod tip, before the line was cast out.

Tightening up to the leger weight cocked the float right over the rod tip.

A64E812F-F63D-4C23-91A1-F66156F7837F.jpeg

Float cocked over the rod tip.

This meant that the float had plenty of space to dive down if a fish ran with the bait and the fish running also straightened the line to the rod tip making for a much more effective strike. The float being up close and the relatively short hook length meant every nibble transmitted up the taut line was very visible and allowed one to strike at bites you would not see with the float further out.

The major Indian Carps, as they are called, all grow large but remain the most adept bait thieves. Striking at a series of tiny jigs of the float worthy of the puniest minnow will see your rod suddenly bent double and you wondering if you had broken your wrist on the strike as the line screams away into the distance.

However, I was not fishing for anything huge. Fish in the one to two kg class and Tilapia in the size that the American’s aptly call panfish were expected. But they fight hard even at that weight, especially on a light single handed fly rod.

81ACDC99-DBD1-4D2E-A083-E965FD247726.jpeg

Jibon netting a feisty fish.

Bait was a paste of bread and red ants eggs.

B5895437-A0F2-496F-970A-B53A4CBA7720.jpeg
E736752C-BDB1-47E5-B7F5-F439BD5E22A8.jpeg

It was the night of the full moon so using one of those cheap rechargeable torches to see the float by I fished on into the night.

Tilapia, Kalabans (Labeo calbasu), Rohu (Labeo rohita), and the odd small yellow tailed catfish made up the bag.

8AB7E299-6013-47BB-AF5B-E25965012E5B.jpeg

Tilapia
B3EF3826-2A0D-4EE0-9C9A-424BD295EBB5.jpeg

Kalabans

Apologies for having been so long winded but I am thrilled to have something to report.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Attachments

• A857EC04-5D28-48E3-94F7-FFCB339A4EFE.jpeg
    A857EC04-5D28-48E3-94F7-FFCB339A4EFE.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Well worth the wait and fascinating to read. You take improvisation to another level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lakhyaman

Reaction score
The Sogster

Drop by Bangladesh the next time you come to India. I would be delighted to host you.

All the Best

Lakhyaman
Fantastic report Lakhayman.

Reminds me in these dark times of the amazing adventures I've been fortunate to experience on the Indian sub continent.
Can't wait to go back.

Loving the ant eggs and bread paste.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When this flashed up on my Iphone last night, the last thing I thought I'd be doing is going fishing this morning.

ED832028-C996-431B-80D9-685D6DC8E0D8.jpeg

The rain started about 1am and was torrential for a couple of hours. I woke at 5-30am and all was calm and the wind was slight but importantly a southerly.

High tide was at 8am, a quick cuppa and a slice of toast before heading to the beach for 7am. The sea was lovely and calm and for the first time in weeks free of weed thanks to the rare southerly winds.

Chucked a variety of lures, metals, plastics, top water, shallow divers, Dexter's, you name it, not a touch. Last roll of the dice was a Fiiish Black Minnow, a universally acclaimed lure but not one I'd had any success with. This lure I'm assured is most effective if reeled back in so slowly it's almost stationary just bumping along the bottom, first cast....bang, rod is solid, heart is pumping, a decent fish taking line and putting a nice bend in the Tailwalk rod. A few moments later and safely landed, not the biggest bass but a great deal bigger than the tiny schoolies I've caught to date. The fish was right on the minimum legal limit but I'm a catch and release angler (mackerel being the exception) and was pleased to see it swim away to fight another day.

C44FB4D7-B020-4AD1-B6C2-6C99C8A82736.jpeg

A swimmer watched my moment and congratulated me for returning the fish, so many are taken and often below the legal requirement.

I arrived in misty conditions, then some rays of warm sun, by the time I left the rain had started, all in all a perfect 2 hour session on what I hope continues to be the perfect day. ?????????????????????

Weather warnings and photos courtesy of the amazing IPhone 11. ?

B65BC12E-704B-4F73-957C-C8F4294B089D.jpeg

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
I'd planned to fish yesterday/Friday but didn't plan to Wake up at 4am! Hey ho I'm up now might as well go. Bait check, GB check, rods nets all done. Breakfast, car loaded ready to go. On route i get to a crossroads where it's about the same distance to three venues, the canal, the dam or the club pool and I'm often still making my mind up as I approach the junction. Opted for the club pool a nice secluded mixed fishery. Unloaded car and on the bank by 5:30am. Start tackling up and put some GB in. Open the bait box (a four compartment 1pt box).

bait_box.jpg

Aaaaargh, forgot to put my carefully turned casters in the box. I've fished the venue before and don't recall caster being particularly successful and I've got maggots hemp corn, bread and tares and some soft hookers. Should be enough. It's as well to arrive early at this venue as there are only 7 pegs and only 3 or four that are fishable with a running line. No-one else about so I get the pick of the pegs:)

BP_20210702_060621.jpg

There were what I assume were Carp thrashing about all round the margins, still spawning maybe? They were thrashing about until about 1:30. Set up plumbed up at 4'3" with a 2.4g antenna with a couple of number tens taking the line down, I think I did a final trim with an 11s. Despite being the pick of the suitable swims there were still some trees overhead but a gap to my left which meant casting over my left shoulder but quite manageable. My right shoulder was aching this morning due to the unusual action.

Started picking up small Roach and a couple of equally small Perch and a small Crucian around 5oz. Nothing doing on sweet corn or bread. I'd been fishing at about 12M on the bottom but decided to cast out checking the line hard to see if anything would take on the drop, more small Roach. Switched to small cube of meat and had three nice Rudd. This was the first and probably the biggest. Bad gash in the side of one of them, probably cormorant damage.

BP_Rudd_20210702_093746.jpg

The three Rudd, Countless small Roach plus 5 netters around 6oz+. Another Crucian which is the first fish I've ever caught on a Dynamite soft hooker (the Krill ones). I was rapidly coming the conclusion the far from stimulating the swim, fish actually dislike the soft hookers. Two commons around the 31/2lb mark. A jolly good day really. The fish kept me busy one way or the other all day.

The Runner

Reaction score
One of my targets for this year (carried over from last..) was to find some decent spurdogs . No sign of them for me or as far as I know anyone else yet at Bracadale or Ullinish so decided to revisit a mark on Loch Bharcasaig which I'd fished once a couple of years ago for little reward but hadn't been back to, not least as it requires a two hour walk each way with half a mile at the sharp end being over horrendous ground, a pathless extremely boggy mix of old clear-felled forestry, heather and bog myrtle with the added amusement of a number of well concealed drainage ditches. Eats into a one day trip a bit too much so decided given a good weather forecast to give it an overnighter and take my one man tent on its first fishing trip since I moved here. Got there about four pm , set up tent on a lovely grassy bit above a small shingle beach and started fishing at 5ish, about an hour before low tide. Shallow, rocky and full of kelp for about 30 yards but then deepened off to around 15ft over a clean bottom.
Bharcasaig 3 7 1.jpeg

Very little, OK, nothing, happened until 9 30ish when hit a couple of tentative looking knocks on the tip. Nothing tentative about the fish, proper spurdog which had me all over the place once it got into the shallower water, and I ended up getting wet feet in landing it...
Bharcasaig 3 7 2.jpeg

Obviously a pack of them coming through, hit three more on next three casts, landed two a little smaller than the first and lost another when it snagged the lead in some rocks about 20 yards out. Activity stopped as suddenly as it started and retired to the tent at 11 30 while still enough light in the sky for the scramble down.
Got up at 6 to a beautiful view across to Meall Greep and Harlosh
Bharcasaig 3 7 3.jpeg

but didn't stand taking it in for too long. Here's why...
Bharcasaig 3 7 4.jpeg

Fishing again by 7 and again nothing for a while, just admired the view south to the distant Cuillins behind Wiay and Harlosh islands and Minginish.
Bharcasaig 3 7 6.jpeg

And like clockwork, at exactly the same stage of the tide as the night before at around 10, four spurs in four casts. Added another an hour later and then pulled out of one just as packing in at 12.30.
A sample of the various fish...
Bharcasaig 3 7 7.jpeg
Bharcasaig 3 7 8.jpeg
Bharcasasig 3 7 11.jpeg

All a good size, they all really woke up once over the shallow water kiting off at pace in all directions. All taken on mackerel strip on a running ledger with 4ft trace to a 2/0 fished at about 60 yards. Rotten at estimating weights but would say they ranged from four and a half to at least eight.
Got an old mate coming up tomorrow for a few days fishing. Hope he fancies a long walk....

Reaction score
I thought spurdogs had been fished out,they used to be so prolific...

mikench

Reaction score
I assume you know that Spurdogs aka Spiny dogfish are venemous with spines which can cause pain and discomfort in humans. I've never caught one.

The Runner

Reaction score
I assume you know that Spurdogs aka Spiny dogfish are venemous with spines which can cause pain and discomfort in humans. I've never caught one.
Yes, I stayed well away from the fins. They try twisting and arching the back to bring the spines into play when first out of water but landed them by grabbing tail with one hand and snout with the other. Easier said than done when on your own...none were deep hooked so a quick forceps job and returned.