Waterproofs

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I know quite a few who have bought the Aldi bib n brace suit, A lot of them are fishing weekly matches , They reckon the suits are brilliant value for money considering Drennan 24K and PI DF30 are £200.
I bought the soft shell jacket two years ago for fishing , £20 .
Put a brand name on it and it would be at least double the price .
Same with the angling luggage from Aldi.
The Crivit reels from Lidl are brilliant value as well .

The bad one

Reaction score
A point on stuff Aldi sells. Me and my wife have been doing some of our food shopping there for the last few weeks to try and reduce the shopping costs somewhat. As some of you know, I worked for 20 years in the food/meat industry, so I've seen how processed food is turned out.
I'll be honest here I'm impressed with a lot of the food they sell. Their meats whilst not having a huge selection of cuts, what they sell is as good as most supermarkets.
I like a tin of Chunky Beef and Veg soup before I go fishing around lunchtime, it really sets you up for cold evening on the river. I have to say their own Chunky soup is thick tasty and has as much beef in it as any other soups around. And in my view, it wipes the floor of Heinz Watery big soup which has really gone down the pan in recent years.

On the plus side by doing the bulk of our shopping there, we're saving between £20-25 a week which for people who are on a fixed income that's one big saving per month. If you have never given it a go give it a go and unless you're a real foody snob I think it will surprise you!

billy_know_baits

Reaction score
I have a couple of Crivit freespool reels which I use for carp fishing, much to the consternation of the other tackle tart club members. All I can say is that I can not believe how good they are especially for 15 quid each. I also have pair of crane neoprene wellies from Aldi which cost 24 quid which are as good as any branded ones at three times the price. If you are looking save a few pence on some of your food items then why not save a few quid on your fishing tackle.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
If you have never given it a go give it a go and unless you're a real foody snob I think it will surprise you!

Surprise? More like shock! I'd never been to Aldi until last week. I don't know if they are all the same, but the new Aldi in Evesham is like shopping in a third world country - talk about basic. Put me down as a Waitrose snob. It depends on your attitude to food (and cooking, maybe), but I'd rather pay a bit more to actually enjoy my food shop and the variety on offer (and the Totty is better looking in Waitrose, especially Cheltenham 💃).

As for saving money. I stopped buying a newspaper except on Sundays, which saves me about £65.00 a month. If that means I don't have to step inside another Aldi, I'm happy. I await the inevitable abuse. 🤪

PS. In case anyone is offended by the above, I hope the last paragraph demonstrated that I'm not belittling the need to save money. But also, we do get stuff from Poundland and B&M - the benefit of those over Aldi is that you can get branded products, like Gillette razor blades.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
What a disgusting attitude and comment Green Man. As I said I worked in the food /meat industry and many of the "posh brands" are made in the same factories to the same recipes and sold to the Posh Snobs at a premium price. Take pies, sausages bacon etc I've seen the same product wrapped up in Walls (makers), Tesco, Waitrose, Morrisons, Huy Fay and many other wrappers. The only other sellers of such products that were made to a different recipe was Marks and Sparks, they gave and probably still do, the makers a recipe to make them to and spot checked the makers were sticking to it.
Perhaps not as smug now you know about that for your hallowed brand and purveyors eh!
As to your comment about stores being like a third world country, beyond contempt!

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
What a disgusting attitude and comment Green Man.
As to your comment about stores being like a third world country, beyond contempt!

You've really got one huge chip on your shoulder, matey.

We all know that stuff about white label, own brand and so on, but if a belief that you have some kind of special insight makes you feel better, then that's fine with me. I still prefer to shop at Waitrose - bring your class-warrior placard to protest if you like.

But FWIW, I grew up on a council estate on Merseyside. I know what it's like to have no money, no central heating, certainly no double glazing. My mum didn't even have a washing machine, just an old gas boiler, a pair of wooden tongues to lift out the load and a mangle* to dry it (*those of a certain age might want to Google now). First thing I did when I earned some money (and after my old man died) was to buy her a house, a new-build, with all the 'mods cons' we now take for granted.

Since then I've been lucky enough to create a life for myself and family that I could only dream of when I was growing up. I'm not apologising to anyone about any of this, let alone you. 😉

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Nor should you. We don’t have an Aldi near so it’s not a supermarket i frequent. We do have a Lidl which i visit occasionally. However it requires a car journey so prefer to pay a bit more at Sainsburys for the convenience and the planet. I don’t use the local Waitrose very often for the same reasons. I also agree that Aldi shopping is not an experience i find really enjoyable although there ain’t nothing wrong with their products and i have plenty of their fishing gear. My late Dad liked Aldi for some of his shopping and Booths for other bits so a once weekly foray to both was made. I doubt you will find two supermarkets with more contrasting demographics. I also found Aldi’ s cash only offering unacceptable in the past because i always bought more than I planned. I never shopped at Tesco because I disliked the guy in charge years ago. Similarly our nearest Asda only sell Halal meat and I object in principle to this along with loads of other people i know. I am sure we all have our preferences and for diverse and somewhat unusual reasons. It’s my money though and I will spend it where i want and on what I want. I reckon i spend £500 a month on groceries including wine etc. I don’t spend money on petrol though to go and get it.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
No chip on my shoulders! I treat everybody with equal respect rich or poor and irrespective of where they shop. And I don't look down on anybody unless they try as you have done, laud it over people with a whiff of racism.
And the products I referenced to weren't white packaged goods, they were being sold as premium products. So yes, over you I do have a special insight and knowledge as I made the sodding products for over 20 years.
It must be a rarefied view on us minions from the hight of your snobbery!

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Interesting to hear going to Aldi is like shopping in "a third world country". Aldi has overtaken Morrisons to become the UK’s fourth largest supermarket for the first time, with around 10% grocery market share, as grocery inflation hits a new record of 12.4% last month. Quite a few of us, then, are third world shoppers. I may have this back to front, though; perhaps it meant that Somalia, Niger, Sudan et al are well stocked with grocery outlets on the thrifty German business model based on low operating cost, own brand and limited range.

According to the House of Commons Library, there are over 1,400 Trussel Trust food banks in the UK, in addition to at least 1,172 independent food banks. I'm guessing people who use them would love to be able to join the third world shoppers in Aldi.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
No chip on my shoulders!

No? "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".

I treat everybody with equal respect rich or poor and irrespective of where they shop. And I don't look down on anybody unless they try as you have done, laud it over people with a whiff of racism.

Where did I comment on the people who shop at Aldi? No, I can't find it either. So, apart from the joke about the Totty being better looking in Waitrose (go on, call me sexist), it must exist only in your head.

I can't help with the state of mind of someone who chooses to conflate a description of a supermarket (a supermarket, for Christ's sake 🤣) into a critique of the people who shop there. Nor can I help with your apparent determination to be offended by anything that triggers your grudges. But I'd lighten up a little if I were you and stop jumping on things that are in part said in jest... it's a lot less hard work than being so flipping angry.

The bad one

Reaction score
It's great being a third world shopper Kev and saving 100 quid a month, money that I can now be spend on fishing and/or the grandkids. donate to charity for those less fortunate than I. Even burn it if that is my desire. Bit hard these days as I'm more or less cashless. Only cash I have in my pocket is around 70p and have had that for about 6 weeks.
Bit embarrassing when the Beggers outside Aldi say "Can you spare any change?" I can't as I don't have any! Not an untruth. And I won't give them cash, as you don't know whether they'll shooting it up their arms. So, I'd rather buy them some food.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Interesting to hear going to Aldi is like shopping in "a third world country".

Oh Lordy. 🥱 Again, it was a comment about the environment a supermarket - NOT the people who shop there. I asked the same question of TBD, if you can find the bit where I mention Aldi's customers, please let me know.

I'll leave you keyboard class-warriors to it.

The bad one

Reaction score
Surprise? More like shock! I'd never been to Aldi until last week. I don't know if they are all the same, but the new Aldi in Evesham is like shopping in a third world country - talk about basic. Your words I think!

The bad one

Reaction score
And I haven't even mentioned your misogynistic comments now claiming it was a joke. In the words of that other class warrior Ricky Tomlison MY ARSE!

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Not sure what post 54 was about, but at the time of me writing this it's blank - probably reflective of what's between the ears. 🤣 Here it is, just in case you decide to edit it.

Screenshot 2022-09-29 at 12.42.38.png

Seems like you still can't find where I even mentioned people who shop at Aldi - largely, I suspect, because I didn't mention them.

And I haven't even mentioned your misogynistic comments now claiming it was a joke. In the words of that other class warrior Ricky Tomlison MY ARSE!

Misogynistic? Do me a favour. It was a joke, intended as an indication not to take my post too seriously... or does the word Totty now trigger you? Not only a chip on the shoulder, but no sense of humour.

And, perhaps blinded by anger (or that huge chip on the shoulder obscuring your vision), you missed the bit in the post that caused such offence - where I said I wasn't belittling anyone for trying to save money, citing my own example. Read the last paragraph and the 'PS' in post 44... no, go on, actually read it.

nottskev

Reaction score
if you can find the bit where I mention Aldi's customers, please let me know.

You? Who mentioned you? The Aldi/ third world comment was something crass I heard in Waitrose.
If you can find blah blah

The bad one

Reaction score
Not sure what post 54 was about, but at the time of me writing this it's blank - probably reflective of what's between the ears. 🤣 Here it is, just in case you decide to edit it.

View attachment 23849

Seems like you still can't find where I even mentioned people who shop at Aldi - largely, I suspect, because I didn't mention them.

Misogynistic? Do me a favour. It was a joke, intended as an indication not to take my post too seriously... or does the word Totty now trigger you? Not only a chip on the shoulder, but no sense of humour.

And, perhaps blinded by anger (or that huge chip on the shoulder obscuring your vision), you missed the bit in the post that caused such offence - where I said I wasn't belittling anyone for trying to save money, citing my own example. Read the last paragraph and the 'PS' in post 44... no, go on, actually read it.
You are back tracking because you realised what you wrote has the whiff of racism to it as racists do. Much the same as you've done with your misogynistic comment now being a Joke RT is right My Arse! Now't wrong with my humour but need to give up on the jokes because they just ain't funny!

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
You are back tracking because you realised what you wrote has the whiff of racism to it as racists do. Much the same as you've done with your misogynistic comment now being a Joke RT is right My Arse! Now't wrong with my humour but need to give up on the jokes because they just ain't funny!

How truly sad. 🤣 Reference to my original, unedited, post, is hardly back-tracking. I've tried, but I obviously can't help with your comprehension.

But if you feel that criticism of a supermarket as third world is deemed racist, and use of the word Totty (which you know damn well was said in jest) is misogynistic, then I really do suggest you get a life!

I'd applaud your determination to be offended, but it seems to come from a dark dark place.

nottskev

Reaction score
it seems to come from a dark dark place.

One minute Hamlet quotations; the next, Funnybones. We're a well-read bunch on FM.

"On a dark, dark hill, there was a dark, dark town. In the dark, dark town, there was a dark, dark street. On the dark, dark street, there was a dark, dark house. In the dark, dark house, there was a dark, dark staircase. Down the dark, dark staircase, there was a dark, dark cellar. And in the dark, dark cellar, some skeletons lived."