Waterproofs

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
What do you guys wear on your tootsies during the winter?

Wellies, fur lined boots, hiking boots? Been so long since I fly fished, my wellies no longer fit (and I only wore them in summer for shallow wading), so I was thinking about some neoprene toped ones, like the ones below, or I could just wear my Goretex/leather hiking boots:

Screenshot 2022-09-26 at 21.37.53.png

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
It depends what the critical factor is. If it's warmth, anything neoprene/fur lined is a good bet and for being in deeper water. But if it's movement you need, go for the walking boots. The thing about the above is they trap air up a greater part of the body, so more heat is retained, which helps with better circulation. Walking boots are great for moving around, but if you're stationary, anything above the ankle line has a lot less protection, meaning greater heat loss. For heat retention, I reckons fur still beats neoprene, but neoprene's a good substitute and probably a heck of a lot cheaper!

mikench

Reaction score
I wear Preston/ Muckboots when it’s very muddy and Wychwood boots the rest of the time it’s wet. Since may I have worn my Crocs on most occasions. I should add that if it’s cold and if the rain is heavy and unrelenting, I stay home. I’m not that keen.😉

mikench

Reaction score
I have these and have had for 10 years. They are not just warm and waterproof but extremely comfortable for walking miles in as I did with the dog.

my daughter bought me an earlier pair of these about 4 years ago but mine are higher and just below the knee. They too are comfortable and waterproof and provide good grip on wet peg decking and muddy slopes.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I have these and have had for 10 years.

That's good... those are the ones I bookmarked.

Check out Aldi neoprene wellies . Just as good as branded makes .

Yes, but I'm a Tackle Tart, so for four times the price 😆 Muckboots have:
  • bioDEWIX™ Dry antimicrobial footbed insert topcover
  • NZYM™ for odour control and moisture management

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I've two PI suits the DF12 for spring and autumn.Had it around 7 or 8 years.
The DF30 for winter , rated at 20000,and breathable, can sit in pouring rain and stay dry if needed.
Had a Sundridge matchwinner similar to the Celsius and drifish . Very warm and waterproof but not breathable. , more of a really cold day. fishing outfit.. Less than £100 at the time , The Daiwa winter suits are Sundridge made .

Keith M

Reaction score
Does’nt Sandra Halkon Hunt still make some of the DIAWA goretex winter wear?

Keith

Aknib

Reaction score
I saw those and they looked very sturdy with a good thickness to them, not cheap by Aldi standards (around £24 iirc) but very cheap in comparison to many brands. I'm still on my old faithful, neoprene lined Le Chams and they do me fine.

Going back to the coat thing someone mentioned Hoggs of Fife and i've had clothing from them (but not coats) and it's always been very good for the money, I would take a punt on something in that category if they do anything suitable in your price range.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I saw those and they looked very sturdy with a good thickness to them, not cheap by Aldi standards (around £24 iirc) but very cheap in comparison to many brands. I'm still on my old faithful, neoprene lined Le Chams and they do me fine.

Going back to the coat thing someone mentioned Hoggs of Fife and i've had clothing from them (but not coats) and it's always been very good for the money, I would take a punt on something in that category if they do anything suitable in your price range.
I don't need any coats etc , may take a look at the Sundridge Hot Foot boots ,
I had the Welly style, they have brought a boot style out as well .

Steve King

Reaction score
Depends on how severe the weather is and whether there is a lot of mud, but either lightweight boots or walking boots. If the conditions dictate walking boots as well, then it normally means that I’ll be wearing bib and braces too!

The bad one

Reaction score
I bought Aldi's neoprene wellie boots two years ago after wearing out a pair Muckboots and granted they haven't been worn anywhere near as much as the Mucks, but so far, they are performing as the Mucks did and about a third of the price......What's not to like about them?

I've 3 padded waterproof jackets from them (2 green and one camouflaged for birding) all warm and haven't leaked on me yet. Only slight quibble is the torso length is a bit on the short side.