6ft Nash Dwarf/Scope in 1lb TC - the reality?

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Soooo I'm looking for something a bit obscure .... A pair of shorter rods (under 10ft) rods to use from my boat on a smallish river targeting quality size silvers, chub (rare barbel/carp) in winter months (general all rounder really). 1lb test curve sounds good all rounder for my needs and I don't really want a quiver rod

Are 6ft Dwarfs/Scopes a genuine 1lb test curve or does the shorter length make them far stiffer when in use (I bought some retractable for my carp fishing in the past and they were like poker sticks in comparison to stated test curve, hence my wariness)

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Maybe look at some spinning rods? I have a variety that were used for barbel, chub and bream when I first moved to France. If you find a spinning rod with a top casting weight of about 30 grams you will find it has a test curve of maybe 1 lb. It will still lob out a feeder or 2 ozs weight a reasonable distance. Of course, not a problem if you are in a boat!

I have a 7' MajorCraft spinning rod that casts up to 21gr. My wife caught this silure (Wels catfish) on this rod using half a cooked prawn as bait. A couple of years later I used the same rod to catch a slightly bigger silure on a large rubber shad bait. Apart from being bent into the water and frequently under our little rubber canoe the rod did the job very well.

IMG_20180710_101931753.jpg
Silure lure 2021.jpeg

Philip

Reaction score
Yes 4lb line is about right for the DV rod....for fish up to about Chub size its ideal...it will struggle with larger Barbel.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Maybe look at some spinning rods? I have a variety that were used for barbel, chub and bream when I first moved to France. If you find a spinning rod with a top casting weight of about 30 grams you will find it has a test curve of maybe 1 lb. It will still lob out a feeder or 2 ozs weight a reasonable distance. Of course, not a problem if you are in a boat!

I have a 7' MajorCraft spinning rod that casts up to 21gr. My wife caught this silure (Wels catfish) on this rod using half a cooked prawn as bait. A couple of years later I used the same rod to catch a slightly bigger silure on a large rubber shad bait. Apart from being bent into the water and frequently under our little rubber canoe the rod did the job very well.

View attachment 28640View attachment 28641
Thankyou ... I hadn't considered a spinning rod .... Can now conside my favoured rod brand

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Thankyou ... I hadn't considered a spinning rod .... Can now conside my favoured rod brand

My MajorCraft Turel is the 5 - 21 gram casting model, it probably has a slightly faster action and finer tip than those Esox rods you linked to.

The Esox is 10 - 30 gram casting and may be a poker tip for chub. I would think it's built for setting treble hooks into bony jaws. You really need to handle and wiggle these rods before parting with cash. I have that problem when buying online frequently!

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
My MajorCraft Turel is the 5 - 21 gram casting model, it probably has a slightly faster action and finer tip than those Esox rods you linked to.

The Esox is 10 - 30 gram casting and may be a poker tip for chub. I would think it's built for setting treble hooks into bony jaws. You really need to handle and wiggle these rods before parting with cash. I have that problem when buying online frequently!
Fair point 👍