A DIFFERENT KIND OF AVON

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score
THE BEGINNINGS

When I first met John Bailey we were working on Hardy Marksman rods and I remember he was particularly passionate about Avon designs, which he uses a lot, particularly on his favourite River Wye. Many years later I joined John on the Wye near Hereford at the famous Red Lion Hotel. The plan was to test out a new Thomas Turner Classic+ prototype Avon, which was aimed at being part of a natural progression from the Marksman concept. The Thomas Turner Classic+ Avon rod was very interesting, made from high modulus carbon and a new breed of nano resins, which provides better strength and durability. The blank felt very responsive but became surprisingly forgiving under pressure.

John Bailey at the River Wye

STRAIGHT INTO THE ACTION

It didn’t take JB long before he was putting a healthy bend into the new two-piece 11ft Avon, and I could see immediately it had a beautiful action when under pressure. Unlike previous 1lb test curve blanks I had seen, which tended to be a bit on the soft side and less responsive, this new weapon had John purring straight away. He told me the blank had a great feel factor and was incredibly fast to use, but surprisingly forgiving when something big and angry was attached. John was so keen, I noticed he hadn’t removed the factory sample stickers from the blank and handle. He was totally oblivious to all that, playing a big chub that had snaffled up his Scopex boilie on a touch legering rig.

John Bailey with bug chub

ANOTHER WORLD

This was the first time I had visited the River Wye and what an experience it turned out to be. The scenery was stunning and the fishing superb. John quickly had a decent chub on the bank and was already engrossed by the new rod, saying it definitely had better feel factor when touch legering, something he does a lot on the Wye. I reasoned this was due to its 1lb test curve, because a lot of Avons tend to be on the heavy side these days, basically heaving with power. The Thomas Turner Classic+ model is no lightweight when it comes to traditional river fishing, but it isn’t aimed at launching huge loads.

John Bailey

SPREAD EFFECT

I was immediately interested in John’s unusual rig, which consisted of four strung out swan shot and a hair rigged boilie. When he cast out the whole lot sounded like a handful of big baits hitting the surface and the fish were homing in almost instantly. The other clever aspect was by using a spread loading, less weight was needed to hold bottom in the strong flow. Combining all this with feeling the line for takes, was working a treat and the chub were coming thick and fast.

avon5-594x400.jpg

THE B WORD

The River Wye proved it’s an anglers paradise when a barbel broke the surface, giving the Thomas Turner Classic+ 11ft Avon rod yet another good testing. It’s not designed for hammering out massive feeders, or extracting fish from snag-pits with tackle as strong as a crane, but it is perfect for touch legering and gently rolling baits down normal glides. It’s certainly ideal for chub and I can see anglers using it on smaller rivers where some finesse is required, maybe trotting a big loafer float. It also suits laying on style float methods, presenting baits down the margins in lily fringed lakes for tench.

Thomas Turner Classic+ 11ft Avon 1lb test curve

WEIGHING THE OPTIONS

I’m already working on stepped up specimen rods to add to the Thomas Turner Classic+ range, so this delightful 11-footer is just a starting point. It’s recommended for use with 4 to 8lb reel lines and casting up to 60g loadings. The blank has a fast recovery for a through action design, being made from superior modern materials and is pleasantly forgiving when playing and controlling big fish. It bends beautifully, never wanting to lock up, with plenty of lower set power in reserve. John says this is the best Avon he’s ever had the pleasure to use and has well proved that point, catching loads with it.

Dave Coster using the Thomas Turner Classic+ Avon rod

A DIFFERENT WAY

Many miles away from the River Wye and the sound of running water, I decided to test the 11ft Avon with something completely different on one of my local lakes. The carp in this deep venue run into double figures and are a real handful, well known for destroying pole and conventional feeder rigs. All I did on this occasion was ping a few 6mm pellets around a pellet waggler, using a hard banded hook bait set three feet deep. It wasn’t long before my float bobbled and shot away. I was suddenly attached to one of the torpedoes that inhabit this popular day ticket water.

HEADING FOR HOME

A big overhanging tree to my left is a known haunt for the feisty carp that live in this place. The powerful fish I hooked was heading straight for the tangle of roots and branches underneath it. Normal pellet waggler rods often can’t cope with this peg, which is why I thought it a good idea to test out the Thomas Turner Avon in it. I was using 8lb reel line and a 6lb hook length, which from my match fishing standards is more like specimen gear! I had to slam the brakes on the fish and the rod took the pounding easily within its stride. I never thought I would end up using an Avon for a tactic like this, but it doesn’t feel that much different from my normal pellet waggler rods, only more powerful.

WELLY TIME

Having given this fish some serious stick, it was nearly ready for the landing net. You can just see the overhanging tree to my left, which is a graveyard for many sets of tackle these crafty street fighters like to leave tangled in its roots and sunken branches. Although I was using a 6lb hook link, it felt like it offered more like 8lb strength wise, thanks to the cushioning nature of this lovely 11ft blank under pressure. I prefer to test rods by having unpredictable fish attached, because they push everything to extreme limits, unlike factory testing that’s far more sedate.

Dave Coster with a mirror carp

MUSCLE POWER

This power-packed carp must have been running on special batteries because it just didn’t want to give up. I don’t think my normal pellet waggler rod would have kept it away from the snags it was trying to get into. I have tried using Avon style rods before for this strenuous type of float fishing, but they felt too heavy. With this new 11-footer I could happily use it all day, even when regular casting is required. I can see why JB likes it when he’s constantly holding a rod while touch legering on flowing water. I did try that technique on this lake by the way, using a banded pellet, with a light 1/2oz bomb and caught a decent bream, which gave a weird trembling sensation down the line.

NEW WAYS

Float tactics similar to the pellet waggler are even used on rivers these days, where chub and barbel have shown a liking for hard pellets. I must give it a try with this new rod as some stage. The carp here certainly go for bigger pellets, although I’ve had a few skimmers take them too, surprisingly close to the surface. Although not a recognised way of catching bream, during the summer months match anglers were landing some proper big slabs on this method while targeting the cruising carp.

HAPPY WITH THAT

I don’t normally use Avon rods with my match orientated tactics, but will definitely have a go at this again, also trying something similar when the first frosts clear out the weed from small local rivers. There’s something nice about using a traditional rod, even with newer methods and baits. You might not see me going back to a wicker basket and bait apron, or quill floats and metal bait boxes, but I totally get the current huge interest in antique fishing tackle. I hope the new Thomas Turner Classic+ rods can fill a gap for those who love the concept of using high quality rods, but without all the bling. Just something that’s pleasing to look at and a sheer delight to use.

The post A DIFFERENT KIND OF AVON appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Continue reading...