A Great Young(ish) Angler

John Bailey

Feature Writer
Reaction score
IMG_3739.jpg

I’m not going to say too much about this stunning pike caught by Robbie Northman yesterday, as I don’t want to steal his considerable thunder over the capture. It’s enough to state the obvious, and simply label it a fish of a lifetime.

But the point is to emphasise that this was a fish well deserved. When I can, I like to highlight anglers who truly deserve praise, because it does sometimes seem we live in a world of sniping and stinging criticisms. But, with Robbie there are many of the very best things to highlight.

I admire his devotion to lure fishing immensely. I’ve known the lad six years now, I guess, and during that time he has become ever better in this angling art form. I realise there are many dedicated, younger lure anglers out there, but I’ll wager few show Robbie’s complete dedication to his craft. Robbie and his peers are bringing lure fishing to the fore in the UK angling arena, and making it accessible to tens of thousands who are intrigued by its complexities.

Robbie has caught great fish throughout the time I have known him, notably chub, perch and pike, but it is the scope of his imagination I also like. He doesn’t pursue the obvious targets, but is constantly plotting new challenges – not easy in the internet world.

His commitment is right up there too. I compare him in some ways to my great mate Alan Blair. Both are consumed by passion for what they do, Alan in the carp world, Robbie on the stage of lures. Nothing is too arduous for them, their energy is limitless. I’m penning this now at 6.00am on a stormy morning, but my guess Robbie is already out there somewhere, or at least on the way, so he can be on a perch lie at dawn.

But best of all, it is Robbie’s genuine, 100% sincerity and generosity I admire the most. Yes, the lad is driven to succeed, but never at the expense of those around him, anglers he is always happy to help in every single way he can. I’ve never known him do an underhand deed. I’ve never known him refuse a request for whatever assistance is needed. Robbie reminds me of myself and my fishing partners thirty, even forty years ago, but we had none of Robbie’s concern for others, and that is what, in my view, sets this considerable young angler apart.

Well done on this fish, my friend. It is richly deserved indeed.