A Lot of carp

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Well, I am stuck without car! Screwed by two garages so far and problem not solved! Due to drive back to the UK in 8 days time so praying the 3rd garage does the job in time :eek:

So keeping my spirits up searching YouTube for interesting stuff about the river Lot. As you may have seen in some of my posts I catch a few carp here but I am restricted to accessible swims, between age and trees that limits me greatly!

But this video I found of the boat fishing lower down the Lot cheered me up (a bit!)......hope you enjoy it.

@Clive

Reaction score
I am in a similar, but not as serious position Steve. My car is in for a DPF fault and the first garage I took it to hadn't a clue. The second garage knows what he is doing, but apparently the build up of emmissions in the filter is proving to be more difficult to remove. Hopefully it should be ready in time to go fishing this afternoon otherwise I'm taking up the offer of a free courtesy car as I need a vehicle for work on Monday morning. Hope that yours is sorted soon.

Regards the restrictions to access; I often use my little boat purely as a means of fishing from places I cannot access overland. Frequently I moor to the bank and either fish from the boat or, if possible, set up somewhere close by. As you know, the large carp are often found in shallow, weedy back waters where you can't get to them without a boat. Last week while I was walking the dog at a large lake there were two Belgian anglers loading up a boat similar to mine. It was stacked like a container ship with bivvies, bedchairs, etc. They used a second boat to tow it over to the other bank where access is impossible on foot or by vehicle.

There are no restrictions regards licencing, insurance or competancy courses for boats under 6hp and there are plenty of slipways giving free access.

mikench

Reaction score
The most common reasons for DPF blockages are: Short journeys where the engine doesn't reach optimum operating temperature; Clogged EGR Valve increasing diesel soot passed to the DPF; Faulty fuel injectors sending too much fuel to the air/fuel mixture; Incorrect engine oil upon servicing the car ;. They can be cleaned but I would replace if it’s old.

@Clive

Reaction score
Yes, I have googled it too. But only after the fault became apparent which was 300km into a 660km blast up the peage which had followed a similar 660km blast down the peage so hardly typical of short trips. It seems that the DPF has not been regenerating itself periodically. A new one costs upwards of €2,500 so I will exhaust (sorry) the cleaning options before considering the new clear (sorry again) alternative.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
My car problem is purely mechanical - jammed brake caliper and scored disc. My own joints are passed doing that work now so I entrusted it to a local garage (British chap, in our social circle) who bigs himself up as being above the norm.

He did the timing belt change which was the secondary job, but failed to find the brake problem. When I emailed him that the fault was still there he did not reply.:mad:

So I booked at a 2nd garage (french chap who did those brakes 2 years ago) and he could not look at it for a week. He then had a whole day with the car (probably gave it 5 minutes!) and told us it was the brake caliper but did not have a time slot to fix it (désolée - he said!):mad:

So we rushed to catch the Vulco garage before it shut. It will cost us 621 euros and they are waiting on parts. Holiday weekend now and Wednesday soonest it might be finished.

We (should!) leave for UK on the Saturday :unsure:

If we have to hire a car for 3 weeks we are looking at 1600 euros!:eek:

Nightmare!

I am off to Cajarc in the camper-car now. Two nights next to the river and will wet a line, I had a couple of good barbel there last year about this time.

If it was not for the ferries and tunnel I would use the van for the UK trip, but England, Wales and Dublin are the plan and accommodation already sorted.

Might have to adjust our plans and take the camper anyway!:rolleyes:

@Clive

Reaction score
Hope that you find the fish at Cajarc Steve. We are intending doing Cajarc and St Cirq in September. Might see you then.

Ps If you have to rent a vehicle use the supermarkets, Leclerc and SuperU. They are half the price of the rental companies.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Hope that you find the fish at Cajarc Steve. We are intending doing Cajarc and St Cirq in September. Might see you then.

Ps If you have to rent a vehicle use the supermarkets, Leclerc and SuperU. They are half the price of the rental companies.
I looked on the Leclerk link I found when looking for car hire and it directed me to hire for moving goods.

Thanks for the tip, I will check again.