A Zed Fish In

R

Ron Clay

Got another two calls over the weekend. Same thing - number withheld. One of them was someone giggling, the other heavy breathing. Could it be kids?

C

Chris Bishop

We fished it where it meets the Sixteen Foot and The Horseway last night and blanked. Looked promising but there was a lot of floating weed on the drain and it was dead still.

R

Ron Clay

With the rain we are getting now, the 40 foot might, I hope be up, coloured and pulling off. Those were the conditions that I got my zander last Oct. All on mackerel tail.

Will get to Benwick about 11-00 am on Saturday I guess. Then I might pop across to the George in Ramsey 40 ft for a bacon butty made by Sarah before having a go.

C

Chris Bishop

It's neither - or it wasn't last night. We haven't had a lot of rain here and the drains still have that floating weed all over them.

Don't worry, there's always the Ouse.

Plenty of zander in there. I suspect the Old Nene end might have a bit more movement in it.

A

Andy Doughty

I am still trying to work out why we blanked last night. I had two takes that left tooth marks on the bait, and that last one took a chunck out of the pop-up ball.
I think the Ouse will be in some sort of form next week, it only needs a little bit of flow.

R

Ron Clay

Congrats to Chris Bishop for his 91/2 lb zander from the Ouse near Ely. Lovely fish Chris, I'll send you a print when the photos are done.

Nice meeting you Gareth. I'm sure you'll catch many more pike on that little plastic waggling lure.

By the way Chris I recaught that 16 1/2 pounder on Thursday would you beleive.

All in all a most enjoyable week. I caught two nice perch over the pound in the Nene near Benwick. I have a feeling that this water may turn up a few big perch in future.

Thanks for the traces Chris. Looking froward to meeting you in Fenland again.

C

Carp Angler

Where you been Ron, we missed you?

Did you used to fish Billing Aquadrome in the 60's?

R

Ron Clay

Ray Clay, A second cousin of mine and member of the Northants Specimen Group died some years ago.

He caught a 42 pounder from Billing in the 60s. Full story is in Kevin Clifford's Book - "A History of Carp Fishing"

I've caught bigger carp than this but not in UK.

C

Carp Angler

That was going to be my next question.

I haven't read the book but saw some stats about 30lb+ carp before 1974 and his was right up there with Clarissa.

That was some achievement.

Sorry to mug a zed thread with carp :eek:)

C

Chris Bishop

S'alright Rik. I saw a carp while I was zander fishing the other week.

C

Carp Angler

was it your livebait Chris?

Ron, I tried to mail you but it was returned.
Have you another mail address other than your PTI Technologies one?

C

Chris Bishop

No, it appeared right under my feet and just sat there for a minute or two before it swum off. Massive fish.

C

Chris Bishop

No, it appeared right under my feet and just sat there for a minute or two before it swum off. Massive fish.

C

Carp Angler

I'll try again Ron.

Chris, were you ever the opportunist?
Flicking a mackerel tail in front of it?

C

Chris Bishop

No, I saw this huge fish worked out it wasn't a pike and by the time I'd realised was it had sunk slowly out of sight.

The only other thing it could have been that size was a seal but we don't usually get 'em 'till later in the year.