A Zed Fish In

R

Ron Clay

Good idea. I will be down Benwick all being well 1st week of Oct. Some time during that week.

G

Gareth Lewis

My son Karl and I, as well as a couple of work mates, who are also fishing magic members are up for a Zander Fish-in on the 40 foot. Unfortunataly none of us can make Saturday the 6th, and on Sunday the 7th we are all taking part in the Marie Curie Predator cup at Ely. Is there any Chance of doing the fish-in over the weekend of 29/30th of Sept.
Regards from Gareth.

R

Ron Clay

We could do that, yes. What about the rest of you, Zandering "out of season"?

A

Andy Doughty

29th/30th or what about Mr Bishops idea of Wednesday 3rd October in the evening/night?
There will probably be nobody else down there in the midweek, gives us all a better chance!
What does the zandering out of season bit mean?

R

Ron Clay

Andy I am a traditionalistic old fart. Obviously if you fish for zander you are very likely to catch pike. To me the pike season has been 1st Oct to 14th March. Thats why I broached the subject. Some waters, even in Fenland stick to these dates. Mybe Chris Bishop can confirm otherwise.

A

Andy Doughty

As you say, you will catch pike when zandering, but I think that if you get to know a water then you can target pike or zander. I believe that a pike hotspot is not always a zander hotspot. The bigger pike must scare the food fish away to some degree, therefore the zeds will move away.
I also know that venues can make a big difference. Some drains I fish will produce pike in the day and zeds at night, with a deffinate switch over between the species.
The zander started off as a little light entertainment before the serious piking started. Last season I did get a big zed-head on, and fished mainly for zander, mainly at night. This season I am well up for a winter pike campaign. I will have enough sleepless nights when the nipper pops out of my girlfriends tummy without adding more on the banks of a deserted drain! Saturday/Sunday morning piking sounds much more apealing!

C

Chris Bishop

I reckon a couple hours' afternoon to have a mooch about and pitch up somewhere - I also half get the feeling the river is a whole lot easier to fish but then I would say that because I can't fish the drains for toffee.

There's no season up here on most waters and you see people zander fishing everywhere in summer, probably because it doesn't get as cold at night.

Whether it's the best time of year or not is debateable, but the river seems to fish best late summer/early autumn.

They definitely do take a dim view of disturbance and people clumping around the bank so if a lot of people come it could well make it harder, as the Forty Foot isn't exactly a big drain.

A

Andy Doughty

Silly question, but who controls the fishing and what rules are we playing by? Basicly, are live baits allowed and how much will it be to fish?

C

Chris Bishop

Found this: This small drain begins about 2 miles west of a small fenland village. It flows east, and eventually joins the sixteen foot drain near Chatteris. A smaller arm (the Horseway) continues to the Old Bedford Counterwash drain at Welches Dam. For most of its length a road runs alongside, making fishing and car parking difficult and somewhat dangerous! A small section, however, at the village itself, is separated from the road by a small field, on which you can park. The zander fishing here is pretty easy with fish in the 4-6lb bracket common, and there’s always a chance of a double. Deadbaits work well and runs should always be forthcoming. If someone asked me the ideal place to catch their first zander then this would be the place I would recommend. Ramsey and District AA control the fishing and day tickets are available on the bank.

E

Eddy Garrett

Day tickets are two pounds on the bank and live baits are allowed.

C

Chris Bishop

Fished it yesterday afternoon/night. Two small jacks and a zander, plus several missed takes I assume were eels.

Definitely has potential - virtually unfished around the Old Nene confluence by the look at it. The bit in the village is a bit more used, loads of prey fish about, definitely worth a go.

They started running it off quite hard as it got dark and this seemed to put everything off. Apart from this I'd give it another crack, I've fished the Welches Dam end and had a few in the past.

The Old Nene round Benwick looked good as well, never fished round there.

R

Ron Clay

I shall be stationed in Benwick from 29th Sept for the whole week.

I like the look of that drain you fished Chris how big was the Zed?

R

Ron Clay

Looking forward to meeting you Chris at some time during that week.

I must get myself another Zed double.

Anyone else who wants to contact me during that week can get me on 07769 793556.

D

Dave Johnson

thats dangerous Ron........you will havePETA phoning you all hours now mate....

R

Ron Clay

Dave,

I got two calls last week - number withheld, with heavy breathing at the other end!! No kidding. Was it one of you lot having me on or could it have been something more sinister?

D

Dave Johnson

its all too easy to forget what putting an address or tel no can do Ron. Best bet is ask people to contact you via e-mail then you make the choice if you divulge.
I know a popular guy on this site got some nasty mails and phone calls from a creep on this site for challenging his ideas......

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Just to correct a small point. The creep wasn't on this site but a mailing list that some of us belong to. He did appear briefly on this site but I got shot of him before he caused any trouble.

His problem was that he couldn't accept his theories being even questioned, let alone disagreed with, and became abusive.