Acolyte feeder breaking strain

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Okay guys, not worth another thread, but what weight would you guess a chunky 14" perch comes in at? I had one that size last week and three between 11"-14" within about 10 minutes today - measured them off against the markings on my rod, but I've no idea about weights.
Impossible to say with any degree of accuracy I’d say. I had several carp yesterday that I thought could be doubles which were around 6lb, length or even overall appearance are, in my humble opinion, not a good indicator of weight.

rob48

Reaction score
In the caravan park? No ... but I know Colin Perry, who does, and catches lots
First time I stayed there was in September 2012 in one of the lodges. After one of the wettest summers we'd had for years the river was just about in it's banks and like chocolate when we got there. I had a look around and saw a bloke fishing in the rain on the opposite bank so walked over the footbridge to see how he was doing. When I got to him I saw it was Colin. He was fishing a long, 17', rod with a flat pole float over a feeder and catching bream up to 4lb and been seen off by a barbel. We had a chat and a laugh and I reminded him of seeing his JS win at Evesham off I think peg 3 on the boards one year, when my mate had drawn a couple of pegs away. He was quick to remind me he'd won three of them.
I ended up catching quality roach off the rod end later in the week while there was still colour in the water.
I've been back there twice since and stayed in the cottages which have their own stretch of river outside the back door, but the river's been low and clear both times so I've only managed small fish but plenty of them.
I've booked in again for this September so I hope the rain arrives before then.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Impossible to say with any degree of accuracy I’d say. I had several carp yesterday that I thought could be doubles which were around 6lb, length or even overall appearance are, in my humble opinion, not a good indicator of weight.
Going by your carp comment , I have done the same ,thinking it was a double and finding out the bloody thing was hollow and weighed in at around 5lb and 6lb.
Yet on another venue had carp of the same length and similar girth or broader shoulders and they have been low doubles .
The hollow ones were on a commercial , the others on gravel pit and a lagoon .
My theory as daft as it sounds is , the commercial ones basically are feeding and crapping, or competing for bait and not putting the pounds due to possibly being caught a few times a day and end up rushing round the water either on the end of a pole and elastic or the end of a rod n line .
The gravel pit and lagoon ones don't have to compete for food, they can graze without fear of competition therefore put weight on easier.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Going by your carp comment , I have done the same ,thinking it was a double and finding out the bloody thing was hollow and weighed in at around 5lb and 6lb.
Yet on another venue had carp of the same length and similar girth or broader shoulders and they have been low doubles .
The hollow ones were on a commercial , the others on gravel pit and a lagoon .
My theory as daft as it sounds is , the commercial ones basically are feeding and crapping, or competing for bait and not putting the pounds due to possibly being caught a few times a day and end up rushing round the water either on the end of a pole and elastic or the end of a rod n line .
The gravel pit and lagoon ones don't have to compete for food, they can graze without fear of competition therefore put weight on easier.
Yes I agree, number of mouths looking for food and I think this is also why tench don’t seem to do so well in many commercials.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Had three more big (for me) perch on Wednesday. Measured about 14-15", but these were all really chunky and one fought like crazy... although once they give up, they give up. I feel like I'm inviting Sods Law, but I'm going to buy a set of scales.

ian g

Reaction score
It’s always nice to know, I don’t weigh every one just helps you to have an idea. When you catch a big one you’ll know