Advice for reel size

john r stockburn

Reaction score
I have an eighteen /twenty foot bolo rod and am having trouble finding a suitable reel to compliment balance the rod , ideally I am looking for a front drag type
what suggestions do people have
thank you

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I will say my shillings worth on this, a 4000 size reel would be best imo purely based on spool diameters, your manufacturer of choice, spend as much, or as little as you please.... Awaiting scathing replies from those peering in, lol....

Keith M

Reaction score
I have an eighteen /twenty foot bolo rod and am having trouble finding a suitable reel to compliment balance the rod , ideally I am looking for a front drag type
what suggestions do people have
thank you
Which actual rod (make/model) is it John?

I have used my Shimano-Aero-4000FA front drag reel with my older Shakespeare Annexe 18/20ft Float rod (which isn’t a bolo rod) but I have also in the past used my Shimano Stradic 4000 rear drag reel with it too.

But I think that what reel is likely to be suitable for use with your Bolo Rod depends on your rods weight/balance.

Keith

Last edited:

john r stockburn

Reaction score
Which actual rod (make/model) is it John?

I have used my Shimano-Aero-4000FA front drag reel with my older Shakespeare Annexe 18/20ft Float rod (which isn’t a bolo rod) but I have also in the past used my Shimano Stradic 4000 rear drag reel with it too.

But I think that what reel is likely to be suitable for use with your Bolo Rod depends on your rods weight/balance.

Keith
Balance of an 18/20 ft is hard especially when long trotting, I may have to take it with me to the tackle shop and try different reels seated
I just wondered if anyone on here had any recommendations

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
If you hold the rod at the reel foot this point becomes the fulcrum point. A heavier or lighter reel won’t make much difference to the balance of the rod, it just makes the whole assembly lighter or heavier. If the rod feels tip heavy then you need to add weight as far away from the fulcrum point as possible. The downside is the whole assembly will feel heavier, though easier to use.