Advice needed

Old fisher

Reaction score
Hi all. For various age and health reasons my fishing will have to be just a few hours each time. I wanted some advice about which tactic would give me the best chance of my first Barbel, I've been looking at videos of people fishing on the Trent and nearly all use feeder/ledger and build up the bait in the swim. I am wondering though if Trotting a float and feeding the swim regularly would be a better option in my case. Thanks.

bullet

Reaction score
Depends where you are fishing, on the whole I would think you were better off fishing a feeder or lead.

Old fisher

Reaction score
Depends where you are fishing, on the whole I would think you were better off fishing a feeder or lead.
Hi bullet. Thank you for the reply. Being 75 years old and serious health problems I need the advice as experimenting with what would be the best way would take the whole of my time on the bank. When one is young you take all these things in your stride, but when age etc. catches up with you learning new fishing methods take time. I appreciate help from other people like yourself.

mikench

Reaction score
I am sure Kev will be along later with his words of wisdom and deep knowledge of the Trent and of catching barbel. I would have thought regardless of the pegs you are likely to frequent trotting involves standing up for long periods holding a rod and reel and repeated casts as opposed to feeder fishing with you sat down and the rod(s) in a rest. I accept the prevailing conditions might dictate one method as preferable to the other but your health situation dictates whichever method works for you.

keora

Reaction score
I've caught barbel from the Wharfe, Nidd and Swale. I've never fished for barbel on the Trent, it's too far to travel.

I normally use legering techniques when barbel fishing, I don't float fish much. I think barbel fishing can be very unpredictable, and I often have a blank day. I'd concentrate on legering, perhaps with a swim feeder.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I am sure Kev will be along later with his words of wisdom and deep knowledge of the Trent and of catching barbel. I would have thought regardless of the pegs you are likely to frequent trotting involves standing up for long periods holding a rod and reel and repeated casts as opposed to feeder fishing with you sat down and the rod(s) in a rest. I accept the prevailing conditions might dictate one method as preferable to the other but your health situation dictates whichever method works for you.

Blimey! A whole paragraph of waffle which basically states the flaming obvious! Lol, Mike…

old fisher, in my opinion you’re better off ledgering with a big pellet for barbel.

Old fisher

Reaction score
Hi. That's very useful info. Thanks

Old fisher

Reaction score
I've caught barbel from the Wharfe, Nidd and Swale. I've never fished for barbel on the Trent, it's too far to travel.

I normally use legering techniques when barbel fishing, I don't float fish much. I think barbel fishing can be very unpredictable, and I often have a blank day. I'd concentrate on legering, perhaps with a swim feeder.
OK Thanks for your input

mikench

Reaction score
Blimey! A whole paragraph of waffle which basically states the flaming obvious! Lol, Mike…

old fisher, in my opinion you’re better off ledgering with a big pellet for barbel.
Accepted. However as we age, me included, we do things we perhaps shouldn't and forget some basics . For an example of that read the recent post by Pete( John Step) in your own thread. There are many things we like to do, think we can but , in truth, cannot any longer. It does no harm to be gently reminded of that from time to time. John's little adventure could have ended very badly for him and thus his wife and all for a length of pole.?

bullet

Reaction score
Ok, so definitely ledger, For ease/convenience,I'd go for PVA bags of pellets and a lead, if I were you, with a boilie/ pellet on the hair. You can tie these up in advance so it's less fiddling about on the bank filling a feeder. Either that or a piece of meat straight on the hook.
I don't know the Trent at all, but if it's anything like the Wye, choice of stretch will be very important for you, some stretches have pegs you can drive up to and just stroll onto a 'beach', but on a lot its parking some distance away, a steep descent down the bank and a precarious little shelf to fish from, and everything in between.

Philip

Reaction score
I guess it depends how old & ill you are. E,g if you cant hold a rod very long then trottings out.

The more old and ill the more static an approach you will need to choose.

I am surprised you are asking this question tbh. Sorry if that sounds rude but its common sense.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Pernally I'd opt for a static bait approach, either leger or feeder . . . . it is no fun holdiing a rod even for just a few hours at an advanced age unless you have arms like Arnie.

Obviously avoid any form of "tether rig" and you should be fine . . . . .

Old fisher

Reaction score
I guess it depends how old, ill you are. E,g if you cant hold a rod very long then trottings out.

The more old and ill the more static an approach you will need to choose.

I am surprised you are asking this question tbh. Sorry if that sounds rude but its common sense.
I asked the question because I wanted to know what would be the better option. To wait un till a Barbel came along and found the hook bait feeder/leger or allow the hook bait to search the river and find the Barbel trotting the float. I have never fished a river before and wanted others advice as to what they thought would be my best chance and not an infirmity question. My problem is the amount of time I am able to be at the water. My wife comes with me and is there in case I am taken ill. I hope that sorts that out for you.

Old fisher

Reaction score
Pernally I'd opt for a static bait approach, either leger or feeder . . . . it is no fun holdiing a rod even for just a few hours at an advanced age unless you have arms like Arnie.

Obviously avoid any form of "tether rig" and you should be fine . . . . .
Thank you Peter

Old fisher

Reaction score
I am very grateful to all who have answered my question and now believe I have all the info I need. Thanks to all who responded.

Old fisher

Reaction score
Ok, so definitely ledger, For ease/convenience,I'd go for PVA bags of pellets and a lead, if I were you, with a boilie/ pellet on the hair. You can tie these up in advance so it's less fiddling about on the bank filling a feeder. Either that or a piece of meat straight on the hook.
I don't know the Trent at all, but if it's anything like the Wye, choice of stretch will be very important for you, some stretches have pegs you can drive up to and just stroll onto a 'beach', but on a lot its parking some distance away, a steep descent down the bank and a precarious little shelf to fish from, and everything in between.
Thanks bullet. A very helpful lot of advice,

Philip

Reaction score
I asked the question because I wanted to know what would be the better option. To wait un till a Barbel came along and found the hook bait feeder/leger or allow the hook bait to search the river and find the Barbel trotting the float. I have never fished a river before and wanted others advice as to what they thought would be my best chance and not an infirmity question. My problem is the amount of time I am able to be at the water. My wife comes with me and is there in case I am taken ill. I hope that sorts that out for you.

Old fisher...on reflection I have been perhaps a little harsh on you. If mobility is not an issue then it just comes down to what are the best tactics for limited time.

I dont fish the Trent but there are some very good anglers on here who do and I am sure you will get some good advice.

Good luck.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Float fishing for barbel needs a couple of things to make it particularly effective in a short time period. You really need a river with a reasonably prolific stock of fish. The other thing is a very good idea of where the fish hold up in various conditions.

In your shoes, I suspect that legering will serve you better. However, if you can find someone to give you pointers on your venue/pegs of choice, that should speed the mission up somewhat.

mikench

Reaction score
Float fishing for barbel needs a couple of things to make it particularly effective in a short time period. You really need a river with a reasonably prolific stock of fish. The other thing is a very good idea of where the fish hold up in various conditions.

In your shoes, I suspect that legering will serve you better. However, if you can find someone to give you pointers on your venue/pegs of choice, that should speed the mission up somewhat.
That would be perfect.