Alcohol duty

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Today sees the increased duty on alcohol across the country.

Beer sold in pubs will reduce slightly while it increases on wine, beer and spirits sold elsewhere.

There will, of course, be another cost increase in October this year when the new post Brexit import charges are introduced.

Personally I rarely go into a pub these days but do enjoy my wine so yesterday I ordered two cases to be delivered today.

Leaving the politics aside will the higher costs affect you?

@Clive

Reaction score
Not much Peter. A bottle of red a week at the most, maybe 6 cans of beer between the two of us per week and a couple of bottles of gin lasts us until the next annual holiday to Spain.

I would rather see duty increase on alcohol than fuel.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Speaking as an 'insider', it's a full-on PITA... currently up to my neck in price changes on the shelf having had to requote all of my wholesale customers in the previous months, and when they say that wine is "going up by 44p", it's not - duty is going up by 44p on all wines between 11.5 and 14.5% (so the majority of regular table wines), but add on to that, the retailer's profit margin and VAT and you are looking at more like 80p+. £5.99 will mostly become £6.99 because £6.79 isn't a regulation price point. Grrrrr

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
It effects me little as though I love a drink I would never drink more than a pint, or a malt whisky, once a week, unless on holiday, then one a day, this is because I don't drink with mates anymore, so it's with a meal, or at home...

nottskev

Reaction score
I accept the duty. It's a tough job but someone etc.
The extra cost either won't affect me or will be something I'm not bothered about, unlike many other rising costs.
I prefer quality ale/beer to wine, in the 6.5 - 7.5 range (the Belgians know the score here) and a pint or two at the right time, early evening, is enough put a pleasant complexion on the rest of the night and doesn't need topping up.

mikench

Reaction score
I’m the same. Someday has to pay taxes to fund services and at least with alcohol duty I know what I’m getting and that I am getting it at my convenience.😉
Lefe blonde my beer of choice.

nottskev

Reaction score
I’m the same. Someday has to pay taxes to fund services and at least with alcohol duty I know what I’m getting and that I am getting it at my convenience.😉
Lefe blonde my beer of choice.

That's a nice one, Mike. Have you tried Leffe Bruin? That's a tasty brew and comes in man-size 750ml bottles.

mikench

Reaction score
I have and really like it. My local Sainsburys don’t sell it or the Ruby but I buy it in France together with Pelthorpe Brun.

nottskev

Reaction score
I have and really like it. My local Sainsburys don’t sell it or the Ruby but I buy it in France together with Pelthorpe Brun.

I get it through Ocado with an online shop every couple of weeks. I've not seen it elsewhere, although Blonde beers are widely available. They do the 750 ml bottles at £3 if you buy six, which is a pretty good price.

barbelboi

Reaction score
25% off 6 bottles of wine (or more) at Sainsburys from Wednesday and £8 off the JD miniatures (70cl). Beer - can't beat a couple of pints of ESB or Peroni............

seth49

Reaction score
Will hardly affect me as my medication says avoid alcohol, if only I had that warning years ago it would have saved me a fortune.🥳

I am allowed one drink according to my practice nurse, I do like a bottle of old speckled hen, or a small brandy and coke very occasionally but hardly ever nowaday.