Aldi rechargeable led head torch.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
About 14 months ago I bought one of these, I thought it would be rubbish but would be OK as a spare, it cost if I remember rightly around £4.75, now its highest strength isn't super bright, but more than bright enough, it has three white light settings, plus flashing and two red light ones, I thought it might just break as obviously its made of cheap plastic but as yet remains as new, if I ever see them again I will defo pick up another couple.

Just to add I always keep my head torches in small clip up lunch boxes that they just fit into, works for me...

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
That seems very good value.

I bought one from Amazon back in March this year. It’s been very good too. I like the fact that it can be switched on and off by passing your hand in front of s sensor built into the lamp. It’s better than fumbling about for a button on the dark. It has several modes, but it remembers where it was last set and you don’t have to be cycling through the settings to get the light you want, which is useful.

IMG_5264.jpeg

I will keep my eye out for the Aldi one for a spare or for my granddaughter who wants me to take her night fishing.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
The thing with the Aldi one I speak of it's very compact too, as I say it surprised me, a lot, another good thing which others may not appreciate is as its not as bright as some it doesn't have the Blackpool illuminations affect which winds me up so much, when down at Christchurch at least three or four times anglers forgot themselves in respect that where their heads go, so does their light, meaning others fishing have their swims illuminated, something that irks me as my intent was to fish in the dark, so when I turn my light on I aim it down or along the bank and never onto the water and only would I do that to ensure safe netting in awkward swims(again aimed downwards....).

flightliner

Reaction score
I have several Alan, including, I think, one that's the same as yours, I found it about six weeks ago in the "camping" section that was set up for the summertime.
I've only used it about three times atm, twice just to open locked gates on stretches of the river Trent and once when I stayed on into dark for an hour.
Its prooved to be a good purchase, one that I would reccamend.
I do have one that was much more expensive that I've had for about 5/6 years now that I also like using.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Well my other main rechargeable head torch was bought from toolstation I believe around £10 or 12 if I remember correctly, I liked it a lot but after two years the green light mode(not red) stopped working, not that I use it, I have another Aldi rechargeable one that I might be muddling up with the one I'm reviewing, price wise, works well but bulkier...

Philip

Reaction score
I have a Lenser head torch complete with the powerpack & all sorts of settings which are top end and supposed to be one of the best however I hardly ever use it and use a cheap one from Decathlon that I picked up for a small amount and its been brilliant.

I dont like unessecery straps and boxes and whatever else dangling round my head. I just want something thats simple to use, works all the time has a long battery life and survives being knocked about in the tackle bag....I need it for a bit of fishing, not pot holing or exploring Amazonian caves. :)

Last edited:

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I has an Led Lenser, cost a fair bit and was brilliant for walking back in the pitch black, even at it's lowest setting it's seemed to bright for my baiting and rig changing duties, I don't like the red light function, my eyes obviously don't get on with anything but white light....

Philip

Reaction score
Like you I prefer the white but I do use the redlight function (which my decathlon cheapo also has) as its less conspicious to other anglers when I am trying to stay out of sight...which is most of the time..

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Price definitely doesn’t mean quality with headlamps. I bought a very expensive Petzle headlight for sea fishing and it was the worse one I’ve owned. It was bulky, awkward to use and unreliable. I ended up binning it.

Philip

Reaction score
Funnily enough probably the worst hand torch I ever owned was a Petzle...it had one of those sort of twist the front to turn on / off and it never quite engaged correctly so you ended up having to shake it to try and get the thing to turn on and then attempt not to touch it again as even the slightest vibration would turn it off. Plus it was bulky, slippery to hold and, well, basically all round naff !

...that also found the bin.