Anglers urged to put salmon back for the future

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

"If it dies you let it float away."

That to me goes right against the grain. To do that is morally wrong and is pure waste.

Andy Fielder

Reaction score
I totally agree. However, rules are rules...

As for salmon stocks declining - I think that the majority of salmon rivers are just holding their own, but a few are doing better, mainly due to netting reduction or elimination, combined with conservation policies and restocking. For Wales and the SW, the best thing to happen recently has been the Irish Govt decision to stop West Coast netting. Shame it took them so long to see what damage it was doing.

With all the measures now in place, (specifically for the SW), I think that the salmon has its best chance for a long time to recover in terms of numbers, and that has got to be to the benefit of the fish and all us anglers alike. More salmon in your river means one for the pot won't be an issue. You've just got to keep the measures in place for the required length of time, and enforce them!

If you, as an angler, truly have the interest of the salmon at heart, then adhering to these measures really isn't a problem.