Angling Times and the Wensum

J

John Bailey

Roach.jpg

I had a call from AT yesterday. It seems that they were struck by the fact they had not had a single report of a good fish from the Wensum for over three years. Their question was, ‘What has happened to this iconic river?’

Well, let it be said that occasional big fish have been caught in the Wensum these last three years, but that the captors kept quiet or reported them to the Angler’s Mail before it collapsed. However, the thrust of the question is a true one. I would think in 1972 that hundreds of noteworthy fish would have been caught already, even though the year is only a few weeks old. Those fifty years ago, there would have been anglers everywhere, and probably plenty of matches too. A two pound roach would not have raised an eyebrow, and a dozen more ounces would have been required to get an angler excited. Huge perch also existed that year… I saw two four pounders get caught in consecutive casts by old maestro Terry Houseago around that time. Today? Half a century on? I doubt if there have been more than half a dozen anglers on the river, outside Norwich city limits, so bad have things become.

The AT told me that they were going to interview all the usual suspects, from the Environment Agency to the very last of the groups that have sprung up these last few years, all styled to save the river. As far as I am concerned, the only one of these organisations to have made any impact whatsoever was the now-defunct Norfolk Anglers Conservation Association, and that was probably back in the Eighties and Nineties. Since then, an army of fishery “experts” have made an appearance, and sometimes a living, and they have all preached this and that, done bits and bobs, and achieved a total of nothing.

I don’t want to steal the AT’s thunder, and this is hardly a spoiler alert as you know my answer already. Of course, habitat and water quality are important, as the hundreds of experts claim. Of course, the Wensum could do with less pollution and abstraction, but what it REALLY needs are fish, and fish that are protected. I’m not saying that there is a silver bullet that would make the Wensum an ecological paradise, but there is one that would allow us to catch two pound roach again. The trouble is that while there is data to collect, madcap schemes to pursue, and money to be earned, the experts don’t want to know. The Wensum has been milked for hundreds of projects that have done nothing but keep fishery scientists in work. The worse my dear river becomes, the more money can be wrung from her.

Angry? Disillusioned? Me? Damned right I am!

There are still some crackers in the Wensum… but getting fewer by the year

The post Angling Times and the Wensum first appeared on FishingMagic Magazine.

Continue reading...

John Aston

Reaction score
Is JB actually Michael Gove , operating under cover ? I am always sceptical when an angler identifies a simple solution to what is almost certainly a set of complex , and probably inter--related problems .Here in Yorkshire I hear the usual simplistic solutions from the usual suspects - 'otter control', 'restock' , 'bloody East Europeans ' , ' we know what the real problem is , but there's a conspiracy covering it up ' and so on , ad nauseam .

I'm no scientist but I respect those with ecological expertise . From my own experiences , and from having done a little work with the Wild Trout Trust , I think that absolutely key is getting the habitat right - including river topography , cover and water quality . Do that and the battle can be won. But chucking stock fish into a river which cannot support them is folly .

Last edited by a moderator:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thanks for that-Even though I have never fished the Wensum, I found that very interesting, the first few parts anyway, I got a bit lost further down, not that it was not understandable, I just got lost with so many statistics and what I did read was understandable enough. I wish we could see more reports like this, it is one thing what anglers say, not disputing their value but just good to see an in depth scientific report like this, something more reliable and if done regularly would give an actual indication of rivers declining or stable or getting better.. I have no idea how many the EA do or where but good on them for doing so, credit where credits due. I would like to see more of them especially my local unfashionable rivers.

steve2

Reaction score
After reading this report it strikes me that it is a river in decline infested with signal crayfish that are affecting fish numbers.
I have read similar fish survey reports in the past on river I have fished, I have never fished the Wensum, and the conclusion I get from all these surveys is none are getting better.
When I have told them about the fish stocks these rivers use to have I have been told that was then this is now. The rivers will never go back to how they were.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
After 50 years of living here in Metroland I am moving to North Norfolk later this year. I will be situated on the Broads and look forward to fishing rivers like the Thurne, Yare, and Ant etc, maybe I’ll give the Wensum a miss ? There’s so many other waters up there it’s heavenly…I’m going up for a recce later next week. I’ll see what the locals say…

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
After 50 years of living here in Metroland I am moving to North Norfolk later this year. I will be situated on the Broads and look forward to fishing rivers like the Thurne, Yare, and Ant etc, maybe I’ll give the Wensum a miss ? There’s so many other waters up there it’s heavenly…I’m going up for a recce later next week. I’ll see what the locals say…
I did intend to move to Norfolk where my brother lives and within a short distance of fishing. My son is moving to Evesham so that is where we are now going we don't fancy the 200 mile drive from Norfolk to see them.
According to my brother the fishing isn't what it was but still a lot better than most.