Any chance of another Grayling fish in this autumn and winter ?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I actually started to walk up for a chin wag.....but having got to the wooden bridge and seeing no one else, returned to my Igloo downstream!

Graham

Good call...at the wooden bridge you probably only had another mile to go ! I made the mistake of walking "up top" first time I fished the LIF...then had to walk all the way back again to get me gear. Never again.

My hands went too...struggled to bait up & couldn't tie a new hook on. It was about that point that I realised how completely bonkers we were.

Skippy

barbelboi

Reaction score
Skippy, never quite made it (on foot) as far as you and Phil. Trotted as far as Evan and then thought I'd like the wind behind me and turned round to call it a day, met up with Graham on the way back and we got back to the car park swim. The bites had dried up (pardon the pun) for me by then and my fingers belonged to someone else. Better weather next time.
Jerry
PS I had most of my chub crossing the foot bridge and trotting the near bank, i.e. right to left, from the bend a about a hundred and fifty yards upstream.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
1737407106_8007bb6731.jpg

Me and Phil trotting during a lull in the weather !

Windy

Reaction score
Well, finally thawed out....

As I set off in the dim early dawn light I should have known better. When the first thing I noticed on getting into the car was that the trip meter was on 13. Which just about set the tone for the day (even though I am not normally triskeidecaphobic).

Half way to the fishery I realised that I had managed to leave my nice hi tech waterproof fleece gloves behind. Oh well I thought, never mind, probably won't need them and if it is a bit nippy then I have my trusty old leather ones in the car :eek:mg:.

I decided to fish the stretch above the Pulpit up to the junction with the side feeder stream. A decision not entirely unconnected with the fact that there is a nice waterproof and windproof hut at the Pulpit.

There then began what I can only describe as five hours of gradually increasing misery increasing all the way up to 11. It would have been more bearable if I had had even the slightest smidgeon of a bite every now and then but not a sausage until ten minutes before I packed up, when I had a half pound Grayling on for all of the ten seconds it took to spin and shed the hook....

I started to realise things were not going my way when it took me fifteen minutes to tie on a spade end size 16. I couldn't hold the 18's any more. Thereafter I switched to eyed hooks, as otherwise impossible to tie.

Ahah I thought, my trusty leather gloves. Not a good idea. Diabetes = poor circulation to start with. Wet leather shrinks. Cutting off circulation further. As I was to find out.

By this stage the rain had stopped playing nicely and turned into white stuff with occasional lumps in.

Plus I realised that there were two different colours of water in the river. Discoloured stuff in the main channel as throughout, but also a brown torrent of clay carrying water of a colour and consistency which would have made Corker proud charging out of the feeder stream and along the far side. Together with half a ton of ripped out weed coming downriver. Over the next half hour the brown took over the whole river and that was, I suspect, that for any self respecting fish's appetite.

It was at this point that I realised, when I took my right glove off to feel in my pocket that "feel" was a word no longer of any relevance. I had absolutely no sensation in my fingers at all, about as much use as a collection of Birds Eye fish fingers grafted on to my stumps. A really quite scary experience.

So after managing to turn the pocket inside out and recover my car keys from the mud it was time to go home after having stuck it out til two pm.

Even with the car heater on full blast I didn't warm up significantly until later that evening after the hot bath from heaven.

And yet.... Lord help me, it was still a fishing day to remember ;).

PS. God bless my ESP waterproof bib and brace and my best recent purchases, a pair of Camoustreme waterproof and insulated boots from yorkshire Game Angling + TOG 3.5 fleece socks. Immense.

And the same God please curse the French swine who claim Tresspas entrant to be as waterproof as Goretex. It ain't. And this really wasn't the day I needed to find that out the hard way.

---------- Post added at 11:10 ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 ----------

PPS. If anyone fishing near the Pulpit finds an inside out pair of black leather gloves buried in the mud then please please please do not post them back to me :mad:

---------- Post added at 11:14 ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 ----------

PPPS. Whose planning next years ? :wh

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score

---------- Post added at 11:10 ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 ----------

---------- Post added at 11:14 ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 ----------

PPPS. Whose planning next years ? :wh

Hopefully this years, preferably October/November time - before the blizzards.
Jerry

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that the weather turned even nastier as the day progressed.

It was tipping it down with rain all the way home and then turned to Snow by lunchtime when we were on our way to lunch at the local pub.

I'll take on the arrangements for the next one if no one else comes forward, as the most difficult part if getting Lyndsay to answer her darned phone.

If we can get 15 or so then we can get the kitchen area opened up for use too.

Windy

Reaction score
I don't know why, but looking back over the last four or five years of participating in occasional fish-ins almost every single one I have gone on (with the notable exception of the Marsbar's goodbye bash) has experienced freak weather conditions at some point.

Record breaking downpour + thunder and lightning crashing about overhead as Mark Hewitt reeled in his 60 odd pound Catfish on the second Catfish Fish-in, ridiculously high temperatures at the next one, gale force cross winds at Clattercote, then another record breaking downpour at Marsh Farm.... then this.

Is someone up there trying to tell me something ?

Perhaps I should send the Met office a copy of my fishing calendar by way of advance warning :eek:

Can't wait for the next one tho ;). Masochism, it must be.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
What was the "parking" like up the top Skippy, people said unless you had four wheel drive, getting out could be a problem. Main reason I stayed below the bridge.

Its fine.The track is a bit rutted in places but you just keep going & going dodging the biggest potholes until you reach a nice BIG fishing hut type place and park on the big grassy lawn area in front of it. Loads of room and shelter from the elements too. I suppose you could get stuck if it was very wet but how much wetter could it get than Sunday and I got in and out perfectly OK.

Its still a bit of a walk from there though.You keep heading upstream along the track to where the river splits,across the rickety rackety bridge & then diagonally across the meadow towards the viaduct. The main fishing is the bend and runs below the viaduct and on the straight from the bend above down to the viaduct. There are a few swims at the very top of the beat but they were far too pacy on Sunday and full of tom tit.A bit less water and I understand they do fish though.

If you want grayling on the LIF "up top" is where I'd head...or the middle beats but there are normally some real dogs up the top.The fish I lost was nearer 3lb than 2 but I just couldn't move him...should have gone to him with the net like I did with the others all of which stayed on.

Hey ho...roll on next time.

Windy...you're a bloody jinx mate. I got washed off in a biblical flood at MF and nearly froze to death on the LIF.Common factor = YOU.

I'm not going with you anymore:D

Last edited:

Windy

Reaction score
Windy...you're a bloody jinx mate. I got washed off in a biblical flood at MF and nearly froze to death on the LIF.Common factor = YOU.

I'm not going with you anymore:D

Hang on a minute there.... common factor not just me. Common factor you as well..... so who's the Jonah ????? thee or me :cool: ?

Or is it one of those unholy combination things, like two benign chemicals that do no harm until mixed and then.... Kabloooey !?! :eek::eek::eek:

Seriously a lot happier with the weather today, just puddling about with my silly little winter roach in the lake across the road and happy as a sandboy. And three days holiday from now to Friday to keep on repeating the experience :D Weather permitting that is..... tho a trip into the centre of Guildford to my favourite chub swim to finish the season off with a six or better would be good, and maybe a bit of last minute pike lure fishing or...

Dammit ! So much to try and so little time !!!!

It's not even as if I was any good at this fishing thing, but I do love it so. Thank God for the British affection for the inexpert amateur bumbler.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Hang on a minute there.... common factor not just me. Common factor you as well..... so who's the Jonah ????? thee or me :cool: ?

Or is it one of those unholy combination things, like two benign chemicals that do no harm until mixed and then.... Kabloooey !?! :eek::eek::eek:

Seriously a lot happier with the weather today, just puddling about with my silly little winter roach in the lake across the road and happy as a sandboy. And three days holiday from now to Friday to keep on repeating the experience :D Weather permitting that is..... tho a trip into the centre of Guildford to my favourite chub swim to finish the season off with a six or better would be good, and maybe a bit of last minute pike lure fishing or...

Dammit ! So much to try and so little time !!!!

It's not even as if I was any good at this fishing thing, but I do love it so. Thank God for the British affection for the inexpert amateur bumbler.

Oops, I was present at both as well but am not accepting any responsibility - you two fight it out between you :p - I think Simon's got away with blame on this one though:wh
Jerry

S-Kippy

Reaction score

Its you...MF and the LIF are the only two times in the last goodness knows how long that I've got wet. One thing I will say...there is no question of "light precipitation" when you're afoot. Its Noah time.

And I've been called many things in my time but never before have I ever been referred to as a "benign chemical"....quite the opposite normally. :D

I should join the SAS....it can't be any tougher than fishing with you !

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Oops, I was present at both as well but am not accepting any responsibility - you two fight it out between you :p - I think Simon's got away with blame on this one though:wh
Jerry

No...you've been eliminated Jerry. I've never got soaked at SP.

Simon is different class...his middle name is Poseidon.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Common factor you as well..... so who's the Jonah ?????
Oh come on Windy. That night on the Thames it was thundering and a lightening like we hadn't seen in years AND YOU WERE THERE. Fair plays, it didn't rain, at least not while I was there, but then no fish either. You are the jinx, no doubt.

But the bearer of a good wine.... it has to be said.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know why, but looking back over the last four or five years of participating in occasional fish-ins almost every single one I have gone on (with the notable exception of the Marsbar's goodbye bash) has experienced freak weather conditions at some point.

Oh contrairre . . . . what about Snetterton?
We had decent weather there for the 3 days except for a little shower on the Saturday night to Sunday morning.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Thank God for the British affection for the inexpert amateur bumbler.
See below Windy, God help all if we ever get adjacent pegs!

but how much wetter could it get than Sunday and I got in and out perfectly OK.

Thanks Skippy, I'll know for next time.
I may be partly responsible for the jinx, until Graham "lent" me his swim I was on a blank. The float he donated lasted one cast into a small bush and in freeing the line it came off and sailed past him!
I managed to break another float and sent one into a tree (at least they were mine)

Still there's always the next one.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score

"But the bearer of a good wine.... it has to be said."

I like the sound of this chap............................