Anyone Fishing In Dumfries And Galloway Area ?

GrayG70

Reaction score
Hello.
I just wanted to ask if anyone on here is fishing or has fished in the Dumfries / Annan areas of the borders?, and may know of any good Lochs or Ponds etc that contain in particular Pike and Tench?.
So far ive only found one, Kelhead, Most of the Lochs seem to contain Pike and Perch only, we are a pair of anglers, one of us mainly fishes for Pike and myself i prefer species like Tench and Carp, finding a water that contains both seems to be a problem.
If you do know of anywhere please do drop a reply on here, many thanks in advance.

Siblick

Reaction score
Hi Gray,

I've come across a place online called broom fisheries in dumfries and galloway. Haven't been there myself but once i get some gear sorted think i will be heading over.
Have you had any luck in finding anywhere?
I'm in the borders and looking to get back into course fishing, but everything I come across is fly fishing. I think I will be resorting to getting some pike fishing gear and hitting some lochs just to get out there (although it seems impossible to find out who manages them after messaging various clubs and people and just getting ignored).

GrayG70

Reaction score
Hi Gray,

I've come across a place online called broom fisheries in dumfries and galloway. Haven't been there myself but once i get some gear sorted think i will be heading over.
Have you had any luck in finding anywhere?
I'm in the borders and looking to get back into course fishing, but everything I come across is fly fishing. I think I will be resorting to getting some pike fishing gear and hitting some lochs just to get out there (although it seems impossible to find out who manages them after messaging various clubs and people and just getting ignored).
Hi, thanks for the reply.
Ive fished Broom in Annan, its ok, easy easy water, can sit and pull tench and small carp out all day long, however be warned, lots of rules and day ticket prices are high.
I was looking in particular for a pike Loch that also has Tench, theres not many, there is Castle Loch in Lochmaben that has both, thats a day ticket water, theres also Garwachie Loch, however i think that one is owned by the forestry people who for some very strange reason dont do a day ticket, but they do a 1 week ticket at £35, which is no use to me if im just wanting to fish there 1 day to try it ha ha, so my struggle continues on.
Loads of Lochs are usually all the same, either just Pike and Perch, or Pike, perch, eels, roach, Bream etc, it appears its hard to find Tench waters in Scotland.
I grew up in a former mining village, around me was at least 20+ classic small muddy bottom ponds, farm ponds, former mine shafts filled in etc, I was lucky, all were Tench waters, but up here in the far North of England theres nothing like that, just the odd Loch, Tarn and a load of syndicates which are all carp, it appears im out of luck. :(

GrayG70

Reaction score
PS, if its Pike youre after, theres no Fishing license needed in Scotland and every Loch has pike, MOST are free, Kirk Loch and Mill Loch , Loch Arthur, Lochrutton Loch just to name a few, just turn up, you dont need worry about that.