Are Pike On The Decline In Gravel Pits?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I rarely fish gravel pits so I'm unable to comment, but are RMC Angling right? Are pike on the decline in gravel pits?

RMC say the single agent most responsible is the cormorant.

What are your views?

R

Rob Brownfield

Fishers Green used to be my local water and I can remember catching loads of pike there and in Hooks Marsh.

Undoubtably, if the food source is removed, the predators will suffer.

However, I know of very hungry waters up here that contain very few prey fish, but prouce many large pike. The reson is, cannibalism and predating on ducks, voles etc.

Is it possible that, with the re-surgance of Pike fishing, the fish are suffering at the hands of anglers? As we all know, Pike do not like pressure, and, on popular waters, the fish seem to fade away after a period of time. I have also found that Pike learn very quickly when it comes to large lures and Jerkbaits.

My local water I can safely say, is only fished by myself with Jerkbaits. At first I was getting up to 10 doubles a day, but after around a year, i was struggling to get a hit. I switched to large Flies, and...low and behold, the doubles were back. 3 months later though, I cant get a hit on yellow flies anymore, but switching to orange has brought me fish again.

Maybe the fish are just getting clever. Has there been any scientific data on this problem?

P

Philip Inzani

Its an interesting question, all I can say is I hope not! I fished a number of RMC waters for Pike in the past and although I did not really notice a reduction in total number as such I did get the impression on some waters that the size was getting smaller...generally due to a couple of the big ones rolling over and so an explosion of jacks followed. I would be interested to know where RMC got their facts from?.netting returns or angler feedback or whatever ?

I agree with Rob that if the food source is hit by Cormorants then the predators up to a certain size will also suffer. However what I would expect (but dont have any real facts to back it up) is that one or two big Pike who have reached a size where they can take prey of a size that is cormorant proof will really prosper. However I don think that this will be good for the balance of the fishery over all.

P

Paul Williams

I've heard the cormarant theory a couple of times now, but one thing puzzles me, if the theory was true then wouldn't we get a period of very hungry very easy to catch pike? on the waters i know this didn't happen.
Incedently one thing i have noticed on cormarant hit waters is a profusion of fry......there may be fewer fish to spawn but there are far less predators to prey on the fry, and i don't mean perch and pike, all fish will predate on fry.....i can't make up my mind whether this will all balance out in the long term.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Yes I too think that there is a decline in Pike on gravel pits.However like it or not I think this is due to the increase in people fishing for them! A lot of this is down to the "instant carp angler" phenonomen.(Please note I am not starting an anti carp angler/angling thread here! just reporting the facts as I have seen them)With a lot of people comming straight into this area of the sport they often only own carp type equipment.When the carping gets a bit slow in the winter they often look towards something else.The gear they have is obviously more suited to Pike than Roach or Chub!This in it self greatly increases the amount of fishing pressure on the Pike.Sadly to say a lot of these lads also try to fish for Pike using the only style they are familiar with ie bolt rigs and bivvies.This often has disasterous(for the Pike) concequences.Even the growth in Pike angling in general has had major effects,after all we all know that Pike thrive on neglect.I certainly agree with Pauls comments on why it is not the Cormarents fault.