Avenue Angling Valuation day update!

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score
What a great day we had at Avenue Angling Valuation day last week in Beccles. Adam and the guys made me more than welcome and it was a laugh from start to finish.

A rabbit’s warren of a shop with an amazing variety of tackle, mainly geared towards coarse and sea anglers. The shop was busy right from the off and remained this way all day; it’s a popular venue.

Among the tackle brought in for sale and valuation a rarity popped up, not for sale but to show. Cast your mind back to May 2015 when Keith Elliot carried an article in Classic Angling relating to the Jacobs Mystery reel.

aveang2-rs-534x400.jpg

Of all the wooden reels I have bought or seen this one has eluded me until today. E Jacob Patent was sealed on April 3rd, 1915, exactly 100 years prior to Keith’s article, that’s destiny for you.

It was such a fascinating reel, Adam and I made a video blog of the event as neither of us has seen such a thing. Initially, I thought it was a twisting foot model, but no, the spool sits at 90 degrees to the rod, the line falling off the rolled front edge of the wooden spool front. I suppose it’s a combination of a wooden star back Nottingham and a tournament distance reel. Have a look at the video below, it’s a fascinating reel and I am grateful for the opportunity to have a touchy feel!

A huge thanks to Adam and the staff for making the event a success. I’m looking forward to seeing him the Redditch Tackle Fair and possibly a future valuation day at Avenue Angling if I can afford the biscuits!

If you like the idea of a Valuation Day in your tackle shop or fishery get in touch with me and we can discuss the details, john@thomasturner.com or call 07548 871985.

John Stephenson

The post Avenue Angling Valuation day update! appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Continue reading...