avon rod

C

Carp Angler

Graham,
I feel that you need someone to do an INDEPENDENT review on the Harrison.
Someone who can catch barbel and put it through its paces.
:)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Okay, I'll LEND you one of my Interceptors and throw in a few tips on catching barbel while I'm at it. Although, forget the tips, I don't think you need 'em! You can give me some instead.....

P

paul williams

Don't let him take the plastic off the handle! all those carp flavours don't half stain cork!! (Rik, thats the funny covering on the FULL length handle)

C

Carp Angler

Cork's something i put in my baits, or in the top of my wine bottle.
Why would you need it on a rod????????????

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
So the rod'll float when you fall in. So Sedge says.

A

Andy Blessett

Forgive my ignorance but what is an AVON rod? How did it originate and what is it's prime use?. I've seen combination rods ie. twin tip, avon/quiver tips and I'm aware of the quiver tips use but I'm mistified by the "Avon" side of things.

P

Paul Williams

Andy,
Basically the Avon rod is a stepped up version of what used to be discribed as a ledger rod.....they were designed by Richard Walker and others to fish......the Hampshire Avon!....

D

Dave Johnson

its nice to have an 'old geezer' in the camp.......thanks for that Paul.....

you didnt miss much on the Severn yesterday, apart from a good walk....LOL

P

Paul Williams

DJ,
Sod off!....i read it somewhere last week at my 30th birthday party!!!

But i could have shown you young whippersnappers how to do it....and a walk is no problem at my age and my level of superhuman fitnness.....must go now all this typing wears one out!!!! LOL.

R

Ron Clay

Where's your sense of tradition. Anyone knows that the only material for a fishing rod handle is natural cork. And for goodness sake take the silly plastic off the cork or it will rot.

The term Avon rod comes from the origional Wallis Wizard which was designed by FWK Wallis in the thirties for fishing the Hants Avon.

These rods had a whole tonkin cane butt with split cane middle and top; and a cork handle.

Which reminds me, several years ago I was in Joe Taylor's shop in Bicester chatting to Peter Stone. A young guy with an East End accent asked to see a particular rod. One of the shop assistants pulled a bag out and pulled out the butt section of the rod in question. The young guy looked at the butt section in disgust and exclaimed "I don't wan a rod wiv a bleedin' rabber eyndel".