baitcasting reel and fishing with lures

Fousse Cyril

Reaction score
Is it possible to use a baitcasting reel (as the shimano curado 201bsf) to fish with lures (in saltwater)?
Thanks for your answers!

M

michael rouse

Yes as long as you rinse it under cold water and oil it every so often.I use an Abu C3 which is fine for casting leads.Its a baitcasting reel.I doubt the Shimano Curado being a low profile casting reel would suffer from more abuse than a larger reel if maintained properly.

Fousse Cyril

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer!
In fact I have just finished a very interesting lesson on how to cast with a baitcasting reel and the conclusion was that, according to the author, baitcasting reels are more accurate in fact for fishing with lures than with baits! Reason is the precision and ability for long casting.
In an other page, written by and with american reel maintenance professionals- I discovered the information you gently confirmed to me.
Yes, I can use it in saltwater (above is better) but I must dedicate 5mn after any fishing party to open, rinse and oil (lightly) my reel... I will do that !!!

I have been fishing for around 30 years now, in France first and for 10 years in Spain. In fact the material used on the continent is quite different, (mainly spinning reels) of the one used in the anglo-saxon world. I explained on an internet fishing site in France yesterday I was deeply impressed by an english guy casting for his first time a lead and reaching a fantastic distance (120m but 30 years ago) with a no spinning reel. I was 10 yo then. Old fishermen in the harbour comentated then: incredible! He reached the Bream area! Sure he will catch one! Five min later a nice one effectively landed...I understood the superiority of those reel for reaching long range casting.
So now I am jumping into a new world - fishing lures with baitcasting reel - and it was dificult for me to obtain good information in french.
Many thanks for your interest!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Don't have the water to warm as you will wash all the oil and greese out as well. I just fill a bowl with luke warm water and place the stripped reel in for a few min's. I then use a old toothbrush and brush the areas where you can not get a soft cloth and dry in the airing cupboard.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Forgot to mention it's wise to rinse your lures as well. It does not take long for the rust to get hold. I dry them on a line stretched across the indow above the sink.