Barbel Trotting - Rod Choice

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I really fancy having a shot at doing some River Wye trotting for barbel next season. Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a strong rod for barbel trotting? Thanks a million. :)

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I really fancy having a shot at doing some River Wye trotting for barbel next season. Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a strong rod for barbel trotting? Thanks a million. :)

The drennan acolyte range would definitely be worth looking at,

However if yer looking for real quality hi end rods I'd then perhaps look at the Tri-Cast range :thumbs:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Dave,

Either really. Happy to go top end but if anybody has found a useful "off the peg" rod then all the better.

The nearest I currently have is probably a Drennan Tench float but I don't think it would be powerful enough.

dave m

Reaction score
Much depends how light or heavy you are likely to go on line strength.
Most of these power waggler type rods are rated at up to 6lb. i would think the drennan tench rod would be comparable to others in this group.
you can maybe get away with a bit heavier with a drennan acolyte plus or a harrison gti SU or heavier still with a gti SU-SU.

Last edited:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Much depends how light or heavy you are likely to go on line strength.
Most of these power waggler type rods are rated at up to 6lb.
you can maybe get away with a bit heavier with a drennan acolyte plus or a harrison gti SU or heavier still with a gti SU-SU.

Completely agree, well said Dave :thumbs:

lutra

Reaction score
Most stepped up carp match rods with a line rating of 6lb and up will do the job quite happily in all but the tightest of swims. Should think a drennan tench rod is as good a rod to start with as any.

6lb straight through or with a 5lb hook length is a heavy float setup. Its important your rod is well matched in power to the line you are using. If you us heavier rods you will need heavier line and probably catch less.

fishface1

Reaction score
On the Wye, when trotting, I tend to find a swim that allows me to either wade, or fish in a way that means I'm not casting more than a couple of rod lengths. This means that generally I can get away with a 13ft rod. I have used the drennan tench float rod, a maver powerlite, and a Drennan acolyte. I would say, of all of these, for dealing with the 4-6lb barbel normally encountered, I prefer the powerlite, normally with a 4lb hooklength.

flightliner

Reaction score
Never fished the wey , but done loads of float fishing for Barbel on the lower and non tidal Trent. Have taken many many Barbel with plenty of doubles to 14--1 using a 15/17 foot Leeda assassin float job, never ever let me down . I think they have stopped making them now but have seen them on internet auction sites from time to time.
I think I paid around £60 + for mine at the time and wouldnt be without it, superb action that can handle the barbs with ease and the extra two feet allows the angler to keep the fish away from the steep rocky underwater slopes that can cause a cutoff.
Cosmetically not the best looking rod on the market but I'm not sniffy about that sort of thing--- it does exactly what it needs to do with lots to spare.
check them out.

thecrow

Reaction score
The nearest I currently have is probably a Drennan Tench float but I don't think it would be powerful enough.

These get some really good reviews on BFW from those that trot for barbel, don't know if you are a member but there was a very good thread on this subject a few months ago.

Keith M

Reaction score
I use my 13ft MkIV Drennan Tench float rod when I'm trotting for Barbel. Its recommended for lines and braids up to 8lb but the most I've used it with so far is 6lb mono.

I caught the barbel in my profile picture trotting on my Drennan Tench float rod on my local stream.

Keith

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Dave,

Either really. Happy to go top end but if anybody has found a useful "off the peg" rod then all the better.

Tigger's right mate you've got just what you need in the bag already

sam vimes

Reaction score
The biggest difficulty is in balancing what you deem as heavy enough compared to those making the recommendations. Many folks consider 5/6lb mainlines as heavy for float gear. Accordingly, their heavy float rods will be rated to match. If that's your idea of heavy, no problem. Otherwise, be aware that your idea of heavy may not correspond to others.

I'd suggest that proper heavy float rods, with an action fast enough for trotting, are relatively thin on the ground. There's good reason that the ageing early versions of the Drennan Tench Float still crop up in threads like this. I've accumulated a few heavy float rods now, for big carp and barbel, but they aren't the easiest of things to find.

Be wary of many of the heavy float rods intended for commercial stillwaters. Many of such rods cope with big fish by being very through actioned. They often aren't the best for casting a normal waggler or trotting a top and bottom float.

All of the heavy float rods I have are long since current. I've no doubt that a few manufacturers will have something suitable lurking in the recesses of their catalogues. Whether
you can actually get to see them is another matter entirely. A couple of current heavy float rods that do come to mind are Harrisons and Freespirits. Whether you would want to spend that kind of money is another matter.

I'm still waiting on the new "budget" Freespirit float rods. They were due back in September, but still hadn't appeared last time I checked. The CTX Special Float (NOT the Carp Waggler) comes in 10, 12, 13 and 15' flavours. I've no idea what it's going to be like yet, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
The biggest difficulty is in balancing what you deem as heavy enough compared to those making the recommendations. Many folks consider 5/6lb mainlines as heavy for float gear. Accordingly, their heavy float rods will be rated to match. If that's your idea of heavy, no problem. Otherwise, be aware that your idea of heavy may not correspond to others.

I'd suggest that proper heavy float rods, with an action fast enough for trotting, are relatively thin on the ground. There's good reason that the ageing early versions of the Drennan Tench Float still crop up in threads like this. I've accumulated a few heavy float rods now, for big carp and barbel, but they aren't the easiest of things to find.

Be wary of many of the heavy float rods intended for commercial stillwaters. Many of such rods cope with big fish by being very through actioned. They often aren't the best for casting a normal waggler or trotting a top and bottom float.

All of the heavy float rods I have are long since current. I've no doubt that a few manufacturers will have something suitable lurking in the recesses of their catalogues. Whether
you can actually get to see them is another matter entirely. A couple of current heavy float rods that do come to mind are Harrisons and Freespirits. Whether you would want to spend that kind of money is another matter.

I'm still waiting on the new "budget" Freespirit float rods. They were due back in September, but still hadn't appeared last time I checked. The CTX Special Float (NOT the Carp Waggler) comes in 10, 12, 13 and 15' flavours. I've no idea what it's going to be like yet, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

Very true and wise words there, thanks for sharing :)

Arhh yes the free spirit rods, these are fantastic rods, god why didn't I think of these rods seeming that I used to have a set of 3 of there carp rods years ago :eek:mg:.....doh

I may well now check these rods out meself :thumbs:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Out of the drennan tench rods (i've had most of 'em) I finished up keeping the super tench.

theartist

Reaction score
Quite what help the following will be given that it's the final day of the river season who knows but in regards trotting for barbel lets dispel the myth that you need anything special. If your rod can handle good chub in a snaggy swim then barbel shouldn't present any more of a problem for it.