Best looking rods

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Clive, the last time I saw Peter Dawson was at the Pennine Fishery at Littleboro in Lancashire.
He's a very accomplished fly angler with plenty of big Trout from the venue.
If you google the the Pennine fishery there are lots of anglers shown with pics of their catches.
Ps, is the mullet shown in the picture one of your Lincolnshire fish?
Is Pennine still any method ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The special MK 4 Carp Rods Barder commissioned for Farlows of Pall.Mall are simply stunning and works of art. One which belonged to the late John Mason who run the Wooton syndicate for years is available for a cool £2000.
It's not a bad price considering thats the price of a mid range pole .
Personally I would probably balk at paying that but think nothing of buying a pole around that price which I have done a couple of times .
Horses for courses I suppose

GT56

Reaction score
I think most rods if not all look good when on display in tackle shops and I now try to avoid looking.

flightliner

Reaction score
Is Pennine still any method ?
I'm not too sure Mark.
It's been around five or six years since I was there last.
When I was there it seemed to be mainly dry and wet fly or simply stripping a lure fast or slow.
Only on one occasion did I see a women using a tiny blob on her leader to allow the fly to be either static or drift on the wind or breeze,
but I never saw anyone using traditional a traditional coarse fishing method if thats what you were referring too.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I'm not too sure Mark.
It's been around five or six years since I was there last.
When I was there it seemed to be mainly dry and wet fly of simply stripping a lure fast or slow.
Only on one occasion did I see a women using a tiny blob on her leader to allow the fly to be either static or drift on the wind or breeze,
but I never saw anyone using traditional a traditional coarse fishing method if thats what you were referring too.
At one time you could use worm , and not sure if spinning was allowed

seth49

Reaction score
I’m sure they have an any method spell at the end of each season, to reduce the numbers of fish especially the ones which don’t take the fly often.
had my biggest rainbow trout from there 14 lb 3 ozs.

@Clive

Reaction score
We used to fish a place in Pickering where you paid a small fee to fish, but then you had to buy everything you caught. No returning fish. My mate hooked a double figure rainbow that would have cost him over twenty quid at the time, 20 years ago. He played it out then used the tip ring as a disgorger and 'lost it'.

It was handy to stock up the freezer though once Ladybower Res' went downhill.

Blue Fisher

Reaction score
For me the best looking rods are the ones I made myself. Not only do you get to choose the finish but they will always feel better for the experience of making them.
Some say that functionality is all that matters, but I feel there is still room for some nice IMO touches.
I needs to be functional though so on this twin tip even the copper coloured decoration on the guides is missing from all of the top section rings. The fish see that bit so it’s not decorated, they don’t see the butt section so I can do what I like there.
Not used this yet hope the blank lives up to its reputation.

Attachments

• IMG_0861.jpeg
    IMG_0861.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0862.jpeg
    IMG_0862.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Back in the early 60's a gang of young anglers were happily fishing on a riverbank. Their rods were either one or two piece solid fibreglass with tinplate reels or (flash git) one had one of the Japanese 5 piece combination rods that would tackle anything with fins from sticklebacks to tuna.

Into this bucolic scene strode an angling God, who settled at the swim beside us and out of his rod bag came an apparition in the shape of an Apollo 'Taperflash'... !!!

Here was a thing of astonishment to young boys who stood open mouthed as such a thing was unveiled. It was black in colour, we had never seen the like, and adorned with scarlet whippings, it might well have come from another planet, such was its appearance to us wide-eyed youths.

Certainly qualified as thing of beauty on that day and I still remember some 60 years on.... 😁

Philip

Reaction score
That reminds me a little of when i was a kid & we all had Woolworth rods then one of my mates got a 3 piece "match rod" ...i think it was from Argos ...but the fact it was in 3 sections and was more than 6 foot long had us drooling over it. :)

steve2

Reaction score
Back in the early 60's a gang of young anglers were happily fishing on a riverbank. Their rods were either one or two piece solid fibreglass with tinplate reels or (flash git) one had one of the Japanese 5 piece combination rods that would tackle anything with fins from sticklebacks to tuna.

Into this bucolic scene strode an angling God, who settled at the swim beside us and out of his rod bag came an apparition in the shape of an Apollo 'Taperflash'... !!!

Here was a thing of astonishment to young boys who stood open mouthed as such a thing was unveiled. It was black in colour, we had never seen the like, and adorned with scarlet whippings, it might well have come from another planet, such was its appearance to us wide-eyed youths.

Certainly qualified as thing of beauty on that day and I still remember some 60 years on.... 😁
A taperflash, I bought one of those with the money I earnt from helping out on a bread delivery round. Up and out by 6am do the round then off to school. I would have only been 13/14. The only rod I had that rusted away and bent when it hit a tree.

Keith M

Reaction score
Maybe not necessarily the most attractive rod by today’s standards but I used to love the steel match type rod that my fathers mate owned back in the 1960s; it was made of tubular steel with standoff rings and perfect for trotting a float down the Thames; and was fairly light back in the days when we used Split Cane rods and the very early fibreglass rods.

Keith

Last edited: