Best method for catching large perch...

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Thats reminds me of an experience I had on a small South East lake that had no Pike whilst fishing for Perch with livebaits. I got a take and struck, felt resistance for a few seconds than it came off and the bait flew back out of the water at me. It was literally perfectly cut in half. Tail end was gone and I just got the head end back. I could not have cut it cleaner with a knife.

I spoke to the owner who absolutly insisted there were no Pike in there (and I never saw or caught one dispite using live baits allot).

Best guess I had was it may have been an Eel.
Could have been a turtle. There are a few about and some are vicious brutes.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

shane99

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip
Thats reminds me of an experience I had on a small South East lake that had no Pike whilst fishing for Perch with livebaits. I got a take and struck, felt resistance for a few seconds than it came off and the bait flew back out of the water at me. It was literally perfectly cut in half. Tail end was gone and I just got the head end back. I could not have cut it cleaner with a knife.

I spoke to the owner who absolutly insisted there were no Pike in there (and I never saw or caught one dispite using live baits allot).

Best guess I had was it may have been an Eel.
Could have been a turtle. There are a few about and some are vicious brutes.

reading Phillips post I was thinking its an eel, then he suggested it at the end :) - then Ray Roberts suggested a turtle & I kinda agree with that also as I have had a turtle from a S E water & looking at the mouth could easily cut a fish in half.