Best way to clean rod handles?

maceo

Reaction score
I find my handle, like my hands, gets encrusted with groundwater residue, sweetcorn juice, maggot drippings and lots more besides over the course of a good session.

What do people use to clean handles? Just a wet cloth, or is it generally safe to use some kitchen spray or whatever?

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve always just used a hand scrubbing brush with some washing up liquid on my cork handles and it’s always worked fine for me.

For really deep stubborn stains on old rods I’ve occasionally also used a plastic washing up scouring pad together with some washing up liquid together with a smallish drop of kitchen bleach added but I made sure that I’ve rinsed it well afterwards.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Use a magic sponge, especially for cork handles. On the blank just wipe off residue after using the magic sponge with a micro fibre cloth. I use carnauba wax on the blank and polish off. My rod blanks are impeccable.

John Aston

Reaction score
Mine aren't, rate rather the reverse in fact . My Acolytes are now the piscatorial equivalents of a rat rod - well patinated ....

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I just wait until they have got a bit grimy then I give the rod a good clean with hot soapy water, washing up liquid usually, the cork handles come up fairly clean with a vigorous scrub.

Molehill

Reaction score
As above, warm water, a bit of washing up liquid and a nylon kitchen scourer (gently). This is presuming modern fixed reel fittings, if you have a rod with sliding winch fittings obviously a bit more care taken not to wear the cork handle with a scourer or whatever used.

mikench

Reaction score
The magic sponges available on eBay are brilliant on cork. I bought a Tricast John Allerton waggled from a bloke and the handle was nearly black. It came up like new.

nottskev

Reaction score
I keep handles clean. I like the fact that I have some pretty old and well-used rods that look like new. I clean handles, remove deposit from rings and blanks, and keep joints clean of any speck that will grind the carbon. There can be an attractive patina on old cork, no doubt, evoking the romance of the antique and expressing our long use. But that's not what I'd call an accumulation of groundbait, oils and additives, bait juice and fish slime. Most of the stuff that gets on a rod handle, I want off asap.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I keep handles as clean as is possible. I've calmed down a little of late in that I don't always clean them after every session.
Small amounts of washing up liquid and a soft nail brush keep on top of anything if used regularly. If cork gets discoloured with muck or dye from bait, a magic sponge may become necessary. They tend to bring up tired cork as well as possible without having to resort to abrasives.

I have well used thirty year old rods that certainly don't look unused, but they do look tidier than some folks two year old rods. I'm fairly certain that I could wipe my backside on some folks cork handles and I'd end up with a dirtier bum hole while they ended up with a marginally cleaner rod handle.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am pretty ch OCD when it cpmes to my rods and tackle. After every second trip my tod handles get a light scrub with a soft nail brush using a mild soapy water and then air dried naturally.

theartist

Reaction score
All this talk of rod handles and peoples rear ends gives a new meaning to the term rod butt, each to their own. I know the 'badge of honour' quote usually pops up but in this case perhaps the rusty sheriffs badge of honour would be more apt :ROFLMAO:

Philip

Reaction score
Read this thread with interest . ..thats a 30 year old JW Avon ...its never been near anything that even remotely resembles soap or a scrubbing brush and has been put to extensive use. Handle still looks ok to me.

While I am impressed by the levels of rod care on display on this thread I have to say the idea of wiping off my rods after every trip or scrubbing the handles with a tooth brush is just a non starter. I really dont have the time or inclination. Hats off to those that do. :)

Attachments

• rod handle 2  (2).jpg
    rod handle 2 (2).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Read this thread with interest . ..thats a 30 year old JW Avon ...its never been near anything that even remotely resembles soap or a scrubbing brush and has been put to extensive use. Handle still looks ok to me.

View attachment 17263
It does look just fine. The kind of thing I can't abide is a crust of groundbait and maggot sawdust/maize bound together with the finest roach/bream/tench snot. Some folks obviously couldn't care less. That's fine, it's their gear, but it can't do anything for the longevity of a cork handle or a reel. I'd also be very wary of eating my butties after using a rod with encrusted gunk from the ages.

Philip

Reaction score
The infamous JW sliding reel seats probably help…your forever sliding the reel back and forth on the handle all day long to stop it dropping off which scours off the dirt.

…perhaps it wasn’t a design flaw after all, it was actually a self cleaning enhancement! ;)

Last edited: