Better Boat Fishing Part 1 – Choose Your Boat

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Good stuff Eric! Just a couple of points from my own experience of fishing the Scottish lochs:

I would always go for a planing hull when fishing a large water. When coupled with a decent engine this gives you the ability to get out of trouble fast if the need arises. I can think of at least 2 occasions when I made it back to base when the weather turned when guys with displacement boats had to take shelter and spend the night on the loch.

A 13ft boat is the absolute minimum for fishing a water like Loch Lomond or Loch Awe.

I can thoroughly recommend the Pioneer boats as I've had a lot of experience with them as yacht club rescue boats. They are stable, tough, will plane with a smallish engine and can handle rough conditions really well.

A lightweight folding cuddy makes a huge difference to your comfort in bad weather. A folding cuddy is a lot more versatile than a fixed one.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
This is getting interesting now, sorry Eric, I've read your articles in the wrong order....2...3...1 :eek:

Thanks for all the tips, I have considered a boat before, but didn't know where to start? I'm drooling at the thought of the unfished, inaccessable swims a boat would get me in on my local river.