Big bank stick for big river fishing

mvwales

Reaction score
I have a tall ajustable bank stick made of metal but when extented it seems slightly floopy works fine but I like things to be perfect when fishing can any one recomend a sturdy bank stick for barbel fishing on a big river

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use the Dinsmores powerdrive but also use the equivalent in the fox banksticks.

I sometimes find the ordinary spear points go in the ground better than the screw types.

mikench

Reaction score
I use the Dinsmores powerdrive but also use the equivalent in the fox banksticks.

I sometimes find the ordinary spear points go in the ground better than the screw types.

I like the Dinesmores arrow point bank sticks and they do go in the ground easier whether by brute strength or a rubber mallet;)

I have bought a 48" one especially for trotting with and which Tigger knows i have yet to use:)

robtherake

Reaction score
More praise for the Dinsmores, again with the caveat that the wide screw thread can be troublesome to get in, in some circumstances, although a stirring motion can often get it past any stony bits.

In the past I've used an Ian Golds beach tripod on the river, either pushed into softer banks or with a bag of stones/sand hanging underneath on harder ground.

B

binka

Dinsmore's for me too, I use the arrowhead and they've been fine.

The longest length are great for using off of platforms too but don't do what I very nearly did a couple of weeks ago and go putting that much weight on it to drive it in that it suddenly shoots down, leaving you perilously overbalanced and in danger of going in head first :eek:mg:

If I needed anything heavier I would go with what has already been suggested, either a storm pole or a tripod.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The longest length are great for using off of platforms too but don't do what I very nearly did a couple of weeks ago and go putting that much weight on it to drive it in that it suddenly shoots down, leaving you perilously overbalanced and in danger of going in head first :eek:mg:

Bin there, done that :mad:

mvwales

Reaction score
Looks like im going to get the dinsmore powerdrive then thanks guys, altho I do own 2 beach tripods might have to try them out one day on the river

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The fox sticks I mentioned are called Cam-lock and they are good ones. Their prices vary but generally they ain't cheap.
I have tripods for beach casting and have looked at the coarse fishing tripods...they seemed to be unstable in comparison to sticks and every time i've seen someone using one it's fell over numerous times!
Personally unless it's impossible to get a stick in i'd steer clear of the tripods.

Reaction score
Have to say it's banksticks all the way for me,tripods are unstable and need a bivvie peg to secure them,banksticks are in,if you put em in properly,got my beach tripod,i'd feel embarrassed using it on a river.:eek:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen those gardner scud blocks but you either need to place your rod butts on the ground (not so good if your setting it up in the river) or get a sliding rod holder from somewhere to put it/them in. You also need a buzz bar for the top.
You can't alter the angle of the banksticks either.
Between one of those or a korum tripod, i'd go for the korum by a country mile.

Last edited:

mvwales

Reaction score
Have to say it's banksticks all the way for me,tripods are unstable and need a bivvie peg to secure them,banksticks are in,if you put em in properly,got my beach tripod,i'd feel embarrassed using it on a river.:eek:

Yeah turning up to a nice picturesque river and erecting a pylon lol

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a couple of these that used to serve as rear rests on steeply sloping banks. They lock in position but hinge back, so the rod comes out cleanly. Mine are an older design in a more tasteful green plastic, I hasten to add.

Sea Beach Fishing Rod Stand Rest Spike Holder Folding Spike | eBay

Rob, do they not cause a indentation on your rod handles....I would imagine them causing a pressure dent on the handle where ever it rests on the top lip of the tube/holder ?