Big Perch, A Few Thoughts

barbelboi

Reaction score
Sorry to butt in on this thread but I am using Tapatalk and I seem to have lost the option to create a new thread of my own?!
Anyway, I have some time off work next week and I fancy a trip to the Nene after perch on my ultra light lure gear. I fancy a couple of nights B+B in a pub and a few days fishing. Can anybody recommend anywhere that is available on a day ticket? All help gratefully received!

I haven't fished it myself as I've joined a local club that has stretches of the Nene and Great Ouse (amongst others) but have a look at this. Personally, if I was going for large perch it would be from the Ouse...

terry m

Reaction score
For me the most successful bait/method for large perch is without exception a Mepps No 5 (Largest) spinner. Gold or silver, it does not seem to matter.

Over the years I have tried almost all of the other things listed, and for me they just have not worked.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
If I had one lure to use for perch it would be a red fluff tailed colorado spinner.

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Years ago Ondex was the lure that almost everyone swore by for perch except me, I swore at it, never caught me nowt. Now the voblex that's a different story.

B

binka

By way of an update on my most recent session on a water that I suspect holds big perch (my biggest recorded on here 3 - 6) I reverted to the trusty old worm after catching a few blade size live baits on maggot for a sneaky second rod that was bound to do the business.

I fished the lives around four feet away from my baited area and took a few perch around the 1 1/2 pound mark on worm without even a graze to a live.

Call yourselves predators... ? :eek:mg:

john step

Reaction score
By way of an update on my most recent session on a water that I suspect holds big perch (my biggest recorded on here 3 - 6) I reverted to the trusty old worm after catching a few blade size live baits on maggot for a sneaky second rod that was bound to do the business.

I fished the lives around four feet away from my baited area and took a few perch around the 1 1/2 pound mark on worm without even a graze to a live.

Call yourselves predators... ? :eek:mg:

They are definitely being awkward so and so's this Autumn. Makes it interesting though.
I am off to have a go tomorrow despite the rain forecast. It seems this will be the last mild overcast day for a while in my neck of the woods.
Fingers crossed.

B

binka

They are definitely being awkward so and so's this Autumn. Makes it interesting though.
I am off to have a go tomorrow despite the rain forecast. It seems this will be the last mild overcast day for a while in my neck of the woods.
Fingers crossed.

Good luck with it John, we've had torrential rain around here this afternoon which flooded the front garden for a while... Let's hope the stripeys get just as excited about it.

Harvey

Reaction score
I came across this today, it's not in English but thought you would like it all the same.

http://youtu.be/JygMfmpPqjI
There are lots and lots of swedish perchmovies (predatorfishing in general; perch, pike, zander, burbot) on YouTube. And they are usually great quality. Well made, informative and funny. I know swedish, so for me it's not a problem to understand what they're saying. This is the first one I've seen with english subtexts.

Last edited:

wanderer

Reaction score
Sorry to butt in on this thread but I am using Tapatalk and I seem to have lost the option to create a new thread of my own?!
Anyway, I have some time off work next week and I fancy a trip to the Nene after perch on my ultra light lure gear. I fancy a couple of nights B+B in a pub and a few days fishing. Can anybody recommend anywhere that is available on a day ticket? All help gratefully received!

The lock at Cogenhoe Mill, has Perch to over two pounds, Billing bridge just by the roads, there is a single swim, can be weedy though, The ouse, Radwell , under the railway arches and the pool in front of it, Odell, country Park.

soft plastic

Reaction score
Thanks wanderer, will.make a bee line for the places you mention. Will let you know how I get on next week.

wanderer

Reaction score
Good luck buddy, mind the chub and pike at Cogenhoe, fantastic place, try the millpool and the backend of the marina lake at Billing, also behind the service road at riverside shopping centre is a lane to Weston Mill, go try there, anglers paradise and I will say no more.

soft plastic

Reaction score
wanderer, you have a p.m.

---------- Post added at 03:32 ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 ----------

Just remembered, I did actually fish the Nene, and a tributary called Harpers Brook, a few years ago. Think I stayed at the Fox Inn at Thorpe Waterfall, if I remember correctly? The Brook looked very fishy but never had a touch. Fished it all the way down to the Nene. A few pike anglers walked past, obviously heading for the main river. Remember I had just the one perch for the day in spite of walking miles and trying some lovely looking spots. Disappointing, really. Here's the solitary fish.
cba864e3e039b2750b39d6a270956db9.jpg

soft plastic

Reaction score
Wanderer, I arrived back from a four day trip to the Nene last night. Have to say from the outset that I didn't fish the areas around Billing Aquadrome you mentioned. I concentrated my efforts from Orton staunch and other spots as far upstream as Oundle.
I must also stress that the river wasn't in the best condition. Absolutely gin clear and still a lot of weed around. It badly needs a prolonged amount of rain and a good flush through. Having said all that I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed. The amount of cormorants around Orton staunch was simply staggering. Very brazen and would happily land in your swim with no fear whatsoever. I stuck it out for around an hour and managed to catch a solitary half pounder. Wandsworth was the best spot I visited. A lot of perch but nothing bigger than a pound but a fair number of these. Also a few chub and a couple of pike. Oundle looked fishy but in spite of trying a lot of swims and walking miles all I managed was a few small perch and a couple of pike. The bailiff on the Oundle waters told me that the fishing has deteriorated, as with a lot of rivers. All my fishing was done with lures. Either on the drop shot or small jigheads. In spite of the far from ideal conditions it was dispiriting. Just to cap things off I dropped in on my local river on the way home and had far more perch in a few hours and managed a nice one of around a couple of pounds. Still, an enjoyable trip. Especially as my digs were next to the local village pub!