BIG PERCH Challenge 2015/6.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shush... Shush...

I'm currently in second place and in line for the £75 runner up prize :)

Prizes?:eek:

3-10 won't be good enough I'm sure, Friday I'm after a 5 pounder.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Shush... Shush...

I'm currently in second place and in line for the £75 runner up prize :)

75p if you're lucky. Collection only from SW Herts....

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:02 ----------

Interesting??

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
75p if you're lucky. Collection only from SW Herts....

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:02 ----------

Interesting??

What I go after and what I get are normally totally different.

Harvey

Reaction score
I haven't spent a lot time targeting perch. I caught my first big perch a couple of weeks ago, when fishing for bream on a new venue. There wasn't any signs on the riverbank indicating that anyone had fished the venue for years.

I fished worms on the bottom. I was truly delighted when this obese fellow showed up

harvey-albums-perch-picture4144-p1030507-640x480.jpg

1140 gram and only 40 cm. He hardly had facial features at all. More like a ball with fins. The fattest fish I've ever caught.

Since then I have fished my usual venues for perch, and caught a lot of 450 to 600 gram fish. On worms dragged along the bottom. Many of them were hooked very deeply, which took away quite a lot of the joy catching them.

From reports I have discovered that almost all of the big perch caught this year have been caught on jigs. And some on dropshot tecniques. I have decided to learn this style of fishing. I will start with dropshoting lobworms and (dead) bleak. Which I believe will reduce the risk of deephooking. Where I live, livebait is banned by law, and is therefore not an option. Then I will go on to try jigfishing with softbaits.

I have bought two polish made jigrods (Dragon Fishmaker II Sensitive jig) to use for my perch adventure. I'm quite exited about this project, and are looking forward to a more active style of fishing than what I'm used to.

----------------------------

Added in proof: I have posted in the wrong thread. I was supposed to go in the Big Perch — a few thoughts-thread. Can anyone move it where it was supposed to go?

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I haven't spent a lot time targeting perch. I caught my first big perch a couple of weeks ago, when fishing for bream on a new venue. There wasn't any signs on the riverbank indicating that anyone had fished the venue for years.

I fished worms on the bottom. I was truly delighted when this obese fellow showed up

harvey-albums-perch-picture4144-p1030507-640x480.jpg

1140 gram and only 40 cm. He hardly had facial features at all. More like a ball with fins. The fattest fish I've ever caught.

Since then I have fished my usual venues for perch, and caught a lot of 450 to 600 gram fish. On worms dragged along the bottom. Many of them were hooked very deeply, which took away quite a lot of the joy catching them.

From reports I have discovered that almost all of the big perch caught this year have been caught on jigs. And some on dropshot tecniques. I have decided to learn this style of fishing. I will start with dropshoting lobworms and (dead) bleak. Which I believe will reduce the risk of deephooking. Where I live, livebait is banned by law, and is therefore not an option. Then I will go on to try jigfishing with softbaits.

I have bought two polish made jigrods (Dragon Fishmaker II Sensitive jig) to use for my perch adventure. I'm quite exited about this project, and are looking forward to a more active style of fishing than what I'm used to.

That is a beautiful fish Harvey, someone has to top my 3-10, it is the ugly duckling compared to these smaller beauties.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Couldn't even manage 5ozs let alone 5lb, a nice 8lb common and losing a huge Sturgeon did make the day interesting. Another attack next week with a different approach, off to find some molehills.:)

qtaran111

Reaction score
Any reward for biggest and smallest in same session? These two are obviously twins separated at birth.

IMG_4019-M.jpg

IMG_4014-M.jpg

B

binka

Still the bridesmaid I'm afraid... But slowly closing in! :)

3lb 2ozs...

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Beauty Bob, care to divulge tactics?

Peter

It was caught using a small Gudgeon livebait, lip hooked on a single size 10 AFH hook, using a short trace of 6lb bs Knot2Kinky titanium wire that is knot able, because the Lea has a good head of small Pike, the wire avoids bite offs and this wire is exceptionally thin.

The rig was a sunken sliding paternoster, which allows little or no resistance to a Perch taking the bait, this is incorporated to a front bite alarm and drop off indicators.

Giving instant detection and more or less eliminating deep hooking if you are on your rod quickly.

Perch can be notorious for dropping or throwing baits and judging the timing of the strike is essential, which is the tricky bit with this type of Perching.

Some anglers use double hooks and complicated rigs, but I prefere the simple single lip hooking method with a small piece of elastic band to hold the baits in place, which means that most of the baits go back in a similar condition to when I caught them !!

Bob

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lovely fish Bob.

My quest to up the anti has resulted in a few Perch blanks. Last Tuesday a few swims from where I was fishing I witnessed this beauty being landed and was on hand to take the photo. Just under 4lb at 3lb 14ozs caught on livebait. The successful angler wishes to keep the venue undisclosed, not sure he will be posting to go top of the FM leaderboard.

27adc46a515fca229b13f42cbe5d24d8.jpg

Last edited:

jimlad

Reaction score
Some cracking fish in this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john step

Reaction score
I cannot compete so far this year. 2lb 13ozs my best has been overtaken many times on here.
Binka.......that very neat and tidy posers float box again in the photo. Fancy carrying it everywhere just as a photo prop!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

B

binka

Binka.......that very neat and tidy posers float box again in the photo. Fancy carrying it everywhere just as a photo prop!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

Lol... It's only 'cos I'm barred from handling forceps John, although the forceps were much lighter to lug around :D

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
Would you guys say worms are better then red maggots when trying to catch a bigger perch? Also what size hook do you guys tend to use when trying to catch ' bigger perch '

B

binka

It can vary from venue to venue, even day to day Jamie but a big juicy worm dropped into a likely looking spot is a favourite of mine at any time of year.

With maggots it's not so much the maggot as the way they're fed, perch get very preoccupied with a constant rain of small moving particles pouring down through the swim, I reckon it's the element of interception that they like as opposed to clearing 'em up off the bottom and it often pays to re-cast regularly when you've got 'em feeding on maggots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqluVSjZS_8

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
Thanks for responding Binka, Think next time i go fishing i will have to collect up some worms and take them with :)

Do you personally cut them up or leave them whole?