Big pike are not hard to catch

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
wow after reading that i feel like my head has been tipped upside down. dek you must be so proud of not only what you have achieved in pike fishing but also the fact that you are willing to help when many others would refuse well done mate. also well done pat i bet your fingers are like stone:)

Hey up you pike crazed fool :D, glad you enjoyed it.

Don't forget the most ''exciting'' form of piking is nearly upon us, ''Surface lure fishing''.

Just remember the cardinal rules, strong gear, play 'em hard, and return 'em quick.

If you don't have a water in mind, PM me, I might just be able to help, because at least you take the trouble to respond, and I'll go the extra mile for anyone with your enthusiasm. ;);)

madmatz

Reaction score
Thanks for that dek you really are gem. I have fished with two professional pike fishing guides and i have to say your knowledge and disire to help is second to none i just hope in my piking time i can gain half your knowledge
and catch some of the awsome fish you have caught.

keep up the good work:D

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Thanks for that dek you really are gem. I have fished with two professional pike fishing guides and i have to say your knowledge and disire to help is second to none i just hope in my piking time i can gain half your knowledge
and catch some of the awsome fish you have caught.

keep up the good work:D

Flattery will get you anything mate, except where I am currently fishing :D. Having said that, it seems ages ago since I was by the waterside. We will have to have an afternoon out together and see if I can convince you of the effectiveness of the larger lures. Or perhaps make myself look a proper plonker :D. Do you think my zimmer frame will fit in the back of your car.

madmatz

Reaction score
well as you know im more a bait angler than lures but thats all due to lack of confidence with lures so any help you can offer would be very welcome as for going out with you mate i would get your arm chair in my car :D just let me know when and i will be there

Last edited:

mogs

Reaction score
Fished local loch last sunday put on surface lure ( jitter bug ) swirrle behind lure then wham pike took lure result 4lb jack only fish of day worth putting up with heavey rain and north wind GREAT FUN

madmatz

Reaction score
surface lures eh? must be heart stopping stuff i myself am just getting into lure fishing but theres so many types of lure its hard to know where to start. theres loads of hints and tips in this thread but i was just wondering how some of you other lure men approach lure fishing? any advice would be great

greeny1321

Reaction score
surface lures eh? must be heart stopping stuff i myself am just getting into lure fishing but theres so many types of lure its hard to know where to start. theres loads of hints and tips in this thread but i was just wondering how some of you other lure men approach lure fishing? any advice would be great

If you are just starting out with lures I can recommend savage gear 4plays and deviators, both about 7" long although I think they now do a 9" deviator wake bait but I have yet to try them.

The 4plays are good catchers they have saved me from blanking quite a few times, they are slow sinking swimbaits (they say suspending but as soon as a wire trace is added they are slow sinkers) and cant really be fished wrong you can twitch em, jerk em, straight retrive, erratic retrive, it doesn't seem to matter!

The Deviators on the other hand I tend to do better with when the pike are up for it, the way you work them is with a tap of your rod tip and get a nice rythm going and it will dart from side to side with a nice belly flash, hold on to your rod though cos they tend to hit em hard! I've had a few fish on them literally seconds after they hit the water.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys on here with more experience and better catches than me who can add a bit but those are two lures I have done well enough with since I started lure fishing in january.

Also worth noting, I seem to do better on my darker colour 4plays but better on my bright coloured Deviators. I dunno the reason but in the few months I've used them it certainly seems to be the case, for me at least.

madmatz

Reaction score
thanks greeny its great to get adive from people who have been there and done it i do have one of the 4plays in my box its the dirty roach with the lip on i have only tryed it the once though mate im a bit limited at the moment as to when i can get out. what sort of waters do you fish mate?

greeny1321

Reaction score
This year I've been mostly fishing the leeds and liverpool canal and one of the pits beside it :) the lures I mentioned have caught me plenty fish on both, not huge fish but enough of them :)

madmatz

Reaction score
can anyone offer advice on the best time/conditions to go lure fishing as i have limited time at the moment

thanks

pikingpirategramps

Reaction score
Depends on the water but 6:30 - 9/10:00 that's when I do most of my fishing, perch and pike, get back from work get my dinner and off I go, you'll get cracking sport between these times most days, first light onwards to mid morning also, I've had plenty pike in the middle of the day come rain or sunshine but mostly had perch midday if it's been cloudy

Last edited:

pikingpirategramps

Reaction score
Always lures, unless I'm away for a day or two then I spin till mid morning then bait fish the most productive spot while spinning in and around my bait till bout 5 i chop up some bait and ground bait the area before getting some thing to eat and then go back to lures then bait fish the hour into darkness at the same spot as earlier this is just a rough guide mind you, it all depends how I feel on the day but for short sessions it's always lures you can cover lots of water at differents depths and speeds so is quite versatile

madmatz

Reaction score
can anyone offer any advice? i have been trying lures for a few weeks now with little success i dont expect to be catching 20lb fish at this stage but i have only had a hand full of small fish and feel im missing out i try all kinds of retrieves but still not much joy

scrowell

Reaction score
From past experience fishing with my Dad, I've learned due to his words of advice and close inspection of how he fishes, it's all down to the choice of lure regarding the condition and type of water you are fishing.

For example in fast moving or disturbed waters like drains, rivers and weirpools there is a constant change in visibility in the water down to things going through the water like fallen branches,litter and even dirt and weeds dragged up from the bed of the water, in cases like this a brightly coloured lure preferably luminous colours like yellows, oranges and greens are your best bet and will catch the pikes attention by being very distinguishing and not easilly mistaken for anything other than a fish.

In cases where you are fishing still waters like reservoirs, canals and ponds its more down to the choise of lure type than the colour, in hot weather the pike will be reluctant to to move but as a predator its instinctive to attack prey so a slow retrieve with alot of movement ( making your lure looking like an injured fish) will be too much of a teaser for the pike not to attack. In weather where it is overcast or a mild temperature its a case of trial and error to which lure fishes best in that specific water, whether it be a lure like a spinner bait that produces alot of vibration in the water and displays bright colours or a replica of a fish like a trout or perch.

It was always stressed to me the working depth and action were the main considerations.

hope that helps mate

Matt

madmatz

Reaction score
thanks for that mate im trying so hard with lures but having only small bits of success i dont expect anything great at this stage and understand all good things come to those who wait its soul sapping stuff when you keep going and only getting little success but hey rome weren't built in a day

is anyone else in the same boat?

scrowell

Reaction score
The best advice that I could offer you is to find a water that you can give alot of attention to and work at it alot, finding what time of day the water fishes best, what lure works best in that water and in time you will get alot of knowlege about that water and you catch success will increase dramatically.

madmatz

Reaction score
thanks for the replys guys i know how important it is to find one water to learn but to be honest im struggling to find a place i had three waters in mind and all three dont allow piking of any form until oct 1st :rolleyes: and alot of the canals are full of weed making life so hard

im going out of my mind :confused: