Big Pike ?

GrayG70

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Im looking for some info.
Does anyone know Where i may catch BIG pike in Scotland?, when i say big i mean 30lb+, Im not far from Dumfries, and there are an abundance of Lochs around the area but i have no idea where there may be some monsters lurking, any info would be fantastic.
Tia.

GrayG70

Reaction score
Loch Ness lol, but seriously please, if anyone knows anywhere pref in my area.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Time to research historical catches in the areas you are interested in.
Failing that you'll have to get lucky not sure many people will disclose this information on an open forum.

Join the PAC, attend meetings meet fellow anglers, show that you have the fishes best interests at heart, prove your worth and someone might help you fulfill your dream.

By the way my pb is only 28lb a 30lb fish is still really something special a true fish of a lifetime for any angler.

GrayG70

Reaction score
Failing that you'll have to get lucky not sure many people will disclose this information on an open forum.

Join the PAC, attend meetings meet fellow anglers, show that you have the fishes best interests at heart, prove your worth and someone might help you fulfill your dream.

By the way my pb is only 28lb a 30lb fish is still really something special a true fish of a lifetime for any angler.
Thanks, great answers, everything youve said i can work with. Totally agree Pike PB is difficult going these days, my PB is only 14.1, but the places im fishing i know they average around that up to about 20 max, so a 28lb fish is phenomenal well done, 40s especially are fairly rare these days except for the big well known Lochs. i do have 2 places earmarked where there are good pike over 25lb, i will keep researching, thanks again.

John Aston

Reaction score

Mine is 28lb too , but I don't preface the number with an 'only' !

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
It's probably 15 years ago now, so not sure if this series of events still happens. I joined the Pike Anglers Alliance for Scotland and had a couple of good days pike fishing on the Lake of Menteith.

https://esoxscotland.co.uk/

The lake is a well known trout water but has some limited pike fishing through the winter.

I had my best lure caught pike there one year....

Menteith pike edited.JPG

..... the following year I dead-baited a launce in a spot I had mentally noted for potential the first year....

Pike 27.jpg

That pike went 27 lb. Immediately after it was returned to the lake my boat partner had one of 24 lb, then I hooked something that straightened my XXX Partridge treble hook!

You might want to consider joining PAAS, they used to do a magazine. Sure you could learn a lot about the pike fishing that side of the border!

hague01

Reaction score
A nice guy in Sale who makes brilliant rigs which I used all the time at one stage is a pike buff. He has a pic on his site of him holding a truly enormous catch. Sadly he had forgotten his scales. That would have driven me to drink, again and again and again!

seth49

Reaction score
How’s this for a river pike from the ribble back in 2008, caught by my good friend Andy Robbins, who sadly died from a heart attack at the age of 46 just two months after, it was Andy who got me into coarse fishing a lot more, after being a game angler for most of my life before. It weighed 34 pounds exactly

AF5178FC-6D2B-49E0-A377-B60B4EE8F998.jpeg

hague01

Reaction score
I would be afraid that it would eat me. Wonderful fish!