Big Roach Video

Reaction score
No,I wasnt casting any misdeeds on you,but guys were fishing Standlake with 15lb line and smothering it all over the angling press as if they were doing something special catching big roach.If the guy fishing under the Drennan banner was casting 80 yards plus hitting the clip that would possibly be necessary,but on his own admission he wasnt casting far and he certainly wasnt casting 100 times a session...anyway,nothing more to say on it,other than he gets no plaudits from me,not a one...

steve2

Reaction score
It's always a shame when someone catches big fish and others find ways of running down the achievement just because it does comform with what they do. But there will always those people in all walks of life no matter what is said or done.

flightliner

Reaction score
Hitting a line clip should'nt really put to much strain on a line, when a feeder or bolt rigged maggot feeder hits its target distance the rod is allowed to move slightly forward.
If its found that the line IS damaged (unlikely in my experience) then a fine diameter braid should solve the problem.
Regarding big 2LB + Roach I've had the pleasure of fishing two venues in the past where any angler would be unlucky to get several near target fish and not have at least one two pounder in the bag.
On such waters they are dead easy. ( retires to the anderson shelter now with tin hat?)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
If you fish for large roach in open snag free water, then it’s no more of an achievement in using six pound or four pound mainline over eight pound mainline. You would have to be a right numpty to get snapped up on any of them.

He said in the video that he fished in some horrendous conditions. If you choose to fish with a fairly heavy mainline and a short hook length then the hook length has to be beefed up, if you don’t then there is a tendency to get broken on the take. Something I found out about the hard way with tench. Certainly float fishing would be out of the question in some of the times and conditions that he fished in.

I used to live right next door to a lake that in anything but still conditions had a terrible undertow. If it got a bit breezy then you had to fish a fairly heavy feeder or it would be dragged all over the place. It took quite a few visits to get the hang of it and to be honest the size of the fish didn’t warrant the effort involved and as there was better fishing less than a mile away I concentrated my efforts there.

I definitely don’t agree with the sporting chance shtick, what’s sporting about leaving a hook in a fish, or risking it being tethered, possibly trailing line behind it? In my book that’s the definition of poor angling.

I’m quite in to lure fishing at the moment and on my heavy jerk-bait outfit I fish with 50lb braid, not because I think I will be broken by a pike, but because I don’t want to lose lures that cost upward of twenty quid a pop. I also don’t want to leave long lengths of braid in the lake or river that could be a hazard for years. If I used braid a quurter of the strength that I do, then I could most probably land any pike that ever swam, but I choose not to, that doesn’t mean it’s less of an achievement to land a double figure fish whatever the breaking strain of the line.