BIG SNOTTIE'S & CleggNuts!!!

A

Alastair Rawlings

Any body out there have any experience catching specimen Bream on boilies intentionally? I'm going to target some big Bream (doubles)this spring using them as bait to try and stop other fish species having a go. Graham you must have experience at this.

C

Carp Angler

Gummy,
Activ-8 seems the best bet.
Ask any carper.......

A

Alastair Rawlings

Thanks Carp angler, now where can I get that from?

C

Carp Angler

Vegetarian gravy from any health food shop.
Add it to a fishmeal basemix (recipe if you need one)
roll to 12 to 14mm and bag up big style.

A

Alastair Rawlings

Yes please, Go on then, let's have a recipe for success

C

Carp Angler

4oz Provimi 66
6oz Hydrolized fish protein
4oz soya flour
2oz wheat gluten

or

7oz semolina
6oz Provimi 66
3oz Sluis CLO or Nectablend

A

Alastair Rawlings

Thankyou carp angler, i know just the man over here to help me with this mix. There's not many carp anglers here in Ireland, not mant carp you see!!!

C

Carp Angler

My pleasure.

while you're in the health shop, ask for some flourodent to stick your denture back in :eek:)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Alastair, take no notice of Popeye.

I've had another go at your picture and I think it looks better (given that I haven't got much to work with in the first place!). If you still don't like it send me another shot.

Boilies for bream? As I said in another thread, great on carp waters where they're used to them, but you'll struggle on waters where they're not.

On most waters in Ireland just throw in plenty of groundbait, fish with maggot and worm, tolerate the smaller, nuisance fish, and before long a big shoal of bream will move in and push everything else out.

A

Alastair Rawlings

Graham,
Yes my photo looks alot better now well done. About boilies for Bream, I'm not after the usuall Irish Bream bag up job! I'm fishing a water with only a handfull of doubles in it. It's typically slow fishing as big Breaming can be. One bite a week job, if your lucky! But the challenge is great with a good reward, possible a new Irish record. This stands at 13Ib.02oz at present. I would say if I catch a female in May early June I could possibly do the record. The reason why I asked about Boilies, was because I'm trying to iliminante nuisence fish like Tench and Perch etc. Do you reckon boilies would still not work, unless the water get's them regulary?

David Preston

Reaction score
Surely you can't eliminate tench as a nuisance fish - anything a bream will eat, a tench will, too.
And even if you could find a hookbait or rig they didn't go for, they'd still be over your groundbait/loosefeed, hoovering that up, even if you didn't catch any of them.
Tell you what you could try - big salmon pellets - you'll still catch tench, but perch will leave you alone and bream love pellets from the off.