Boilies and float fishing .

fishydave

Reaction score
Am I right in thinking I can set up float method with Boilies ?

I saw something about the lift method and think is the way to go . I'm looking for something simple .

Thank you

@Clive

Reaction score
You can fish any bait using a float. If you are laying on or float ledgering the weight of the boilie does not have to be taken into account. But if you were fishing it at less than full depth you would require less shot to trim the float as the boilie would affect it.

fishydave

Reaction score
You can fish any bait using a float. If you are laying on or float ledgering the weight of the boilie does not have to be taken into account. But if you were fishing it at less than full depth you would require less shot to trim the float as the boilie would affect it.
Thank you ! My understanding was enough shot around the float to cock it and then some shot near the hook to sink the bait ? Do I have to fish the boilies at the bottom or can they just be anywhere ? I'm not fussed about catching specimens I want to get the feel for it .

I'm pretty new to fishing and done mainly fishing on rivers . First time using the boilies tomorrow and I just want to get it right.

I've been and bought everything I think I need. It's just getting the setup right now . Any advice is appreciated.

@Clive

Reaction score
You can fish boilies anywhere in the water column, but if you want to use the lift method that you mentioned, it has to be on the bottom. That is probably the best way to fish. I would start with around 12" of line between the hook and anchoring shot, something like a BB or AAA. The rest of the shot under the float.

If you think of how zigs work it is very much like an upside down float fishing method so don't be afraid to fish the boilie at mid depth. Some days that is where the carp are.

fishydave

Reaction score
You can fish boilies anywhere in the water column, but if you want to use the lift method that you mentioned, it has to be on the bottom. That is probably the best way to fish. I would start with around 12" of line between the hook and anchoring shot, something like a BB or AAA. The rest of the shot under the float.

If you think of how zigs work it is very much like an upside down float fishing method so don't be afraid to fish the boilie at mid depth. Some days that is where the
Thank you much appreciated!

I'll try a few different approaches. I think I've got the general idea of how to set up . I've seen so many complicated rigs and I was just looking for the most simplest way of using them .

I'm taking my little boy for the first time and hoping he gets to see a half decent carp .

Thank you

@Clive

Reaction score
The simplest way of using boilies is not to use them. Don't think that carp can't be caught on other baits. Boilies were designed for a specific purpose much of which is now lost as you can buy boilies designed to catch fish the original boilies were designed to avoid.

Sweetcorn is a good bait for carp as is chick peas and small pieces of luncheon meat. If you are taking your son I would suggest using a bait like sweetcorn that will catch roach, bream, tench and crucians that could be put off by a bigger bait. Or use soft hooker pellets. I'm sure the lad would enjoy catching more fish than awaiting hours for one fish. Even if it was bigger.

fishydave

Reaction score
The simplest way of using boilies is not to use them. Don't think that carp can't be caught on other baits. Boilies were designed for a specific purpose much of which is now lost as you can buy boilies designed to catch fish the original boilies were designed to avoid.

Sweetcorn is a good bait for carp as is chick peas and small pieces of luncheon meat. If you are taking your son I would suggest using a bait like sweetcorn that will catch roach, bream, tench and crucians that could be put off by a bigger bait. Or use soft hooker pellets. I'm sure the lad would enjoy catching more fish than awaiting hours for one fish. Even if it was bigger.

I used corn the previous time I went with my friend . The only thing we got was Ide on the corn as much as they were great it wasn't what I went for . I have got corn prepared again this time and also some spam . I was more intrigued to try the boilies for myself , just a different angle to try . I had most success on worms the last time I went a few of the mirror carp went mad for those .

Thank you for the advice . I'll try a few different approaches and see how it goes. It's all learning .

I'm looking forward to winter fishing next it's my first winter season .

peterjg

Reaction score
If you definitely want to use boilies and float fish (close range?) then I suggest that you cut the boilie (hookbait only) and hair rig it as per normal. The half-boilie will sink and land flat side up, it looks the same to a carp (round) but when sucked it behaves very differently to normal. In the past I've caught loads of carp fishing like this including 30lbers. If you leger half-boilies, usually a much longer cast, they tangle badly and spin when reeling in. Good luck.

PS: I forgot to mention: it might also be worth using a couple of pieces of dissolvable foam on the hair, lick one and then stick the other to the first piece. I don't know why but the plain white foam dissolves much better than the multi-coloured foam.

Last edited:

fishydave

Reaction score
If you definitely want to use boilies and float fish (close range?) then I suggest that you cut the boilie (hookbait only) and hair rig it as per normal. The half-boilie will sink and land flat side up, it looks the same to a carp (round) but when sucked it behaves very differently to normal. In the past I've caught loads of carp fishing like this including 30lbers. If you leger half-boilies, usually a much longer cast, they tangle badly and spin when reeling in. Good luck.
Yeah fishing close in on the margins is my plan .

I've got bayonet hair rigs ready to go , was going to use the simple lift method with some shot to sink the bait . Hopefully this works .

I've got other backup baits too incase it all goes wrong. It's different to river fishing completely and I'm struggling to adjust .

lakelegend

Reaction score

If you think of how zigs work it is very much like an upside down float fishing method so don't be afraid to fish the boilie at mid depth. Some days that is where the carp are.
Gotta say Ive had some great days using the lift method with boilies. this trick does magic!

flightliner

Reaction score
Back in the eighties when I was i to carp fishing I had a call from a friend who was at Cuttle mill asking me if I could come down for an overnight session.
The kicker behind his request was that I had to call at his home to pick up some extra food and a spare coat "cos the nights are cold".
Agreeing, I collected said items and made my way to Cuttle,in those days anglers had to draw a numbered ball that told them which peg they had to fish but the owner told me all but the corner ones were taken so I made my way past pegs 1234and 5? to that corner.
Having set up two boilly baited rods i cast them to a nearby tree that grew out of the water.
The corner had a hemmed in sort of feel to it and in some ways felt that my day would end in a blank but tomorrow I could take the draw with evreybody else who was fishing.
It was a warm day and in the middle of the lake was a large patch of weed, the kind that pops up to the surface on many stillwaters and it occurred to me that if a breeze sprang up one of the anglers present (me included) could have it drift into their swim.
It did, and it was my corner it drifted into covering the entire area of water available to me!
I could pull out my rigs to rebait but recasting would maybe have my baits covered in a very slimy goo.
I sat there for a half hour or so pondering what i should do when out of the corner of my eye I noticed that a carp "humped" the weed to my right, near one of my rod tips, the answer came in a second— it would be a float job.
Pulling in both rods I set up a simple float rig, lightly shotted and with a 6 hook with a side hooked home made boilly, I made a tiny hole in the weed by swishing it with my rod tip and before it could close up I gently lowered the rig and float into it before it disappeared and sat back to await any results which didn't take long.
Slowly the float sank out of sight and striking found myself playing a carp that eventually turned out to weigh 17+ lb after a really hard struggle.
It seemed that many of the lakes carp had found the floating weed and feeling safe beneath it threw caution to the wind.
In total(from memory) fourteen more followed thro- out the day with a biggest of 26lb- 9oz.
After a rather uncomfortable night I had a diffefant peg to fish but I kept an eye on the cornerwhere i'd fished the day before, the weed had gone and the angler in it only had three carp!
My big day was a one off, only by chance of a phone a call did I have the chance to take advantage of it!
IMG_20220220_161603.jpg

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I've used 10mm tutti frutti boilies fished pellet waggler style and had good results .
Plus with feeding them as casting you don't need to feed as many as if using pellets , two or three will suffice for feed each time