boilies

P

p jackson

would the use of boilies and hair rigs catch fish in the sea or has anyone ever tried or thought of trying this method as boilies are now fish,crab,and mussel flavoured of course hook size would have to be bigger. your views or experience would be most helpful

S

Stewart Bloor

Hair rigs were invented to keep one step ahead of wary coarse fish. With no hook in the bait, the bait behaves more natural, thus prompting the fish to take the offering. Sea fish generally, are bold biters, there's no need for hair rig presentation. Get into a shoal of winter whiting for example, and it's non stop action, they are not going to inspect the bait, just eat it before another fish gets it.
Remember, sea fish aren't going to be under the same sort of pressure as coarse fish who live in a much more enclosed environment. Repeat captures are not going to be a problem, making fish hook or bait shy.
As for boilies, I suppose there's no reason why you couldn't fish with one on a hook, but it would be far better to stick with the natural baits available ie lugworm, ragworm, peeler crab etc, all tipped with squid etc as and when suitable. A bait won't be 'blown' as far as sea fish are concerned. Stick with the natural baits. Leave the boilies to the coarse guys...

C

Carp Angler

Sorry Sedge, hair rigs were invented to enable marlin anglers to tie fish baits on and get better hook ups, this was in the 19th century.

The history of the hair rig is in my next Carp Column article.

P

p jackson

here's one for stewart when fish are few and crab are many eating your bait befor the fish can find it would the boilie(s) not have more staying power? hairrigs,boilies at sea is like saying crab bait(boilies)in lakes but it works this is a question worth answering for me. your comments are valid but more debate is needed from allfishing areas carp angler what's your comment and some more input from sea angler's themselfs .graham your veiw please

S

Stewart Bloor

Rik...you've got me on that one, but I was in effect referring to modern day (coarse) fishing.
Crabs are a pain whenever present. I don't think fishing a hard bait would stop them necessarily because you'd still be striking at a 'bite' and once you've struck you'd probably wind in to check if the bait is still there. And a crab has a powerful nip, which would soon break up a boilie.

C

Carp Angler

As a sea angler as well, I would say it's an interesting idea.
Sea anglers have only just started to use swimfeeders and groundbait, so it's use would be very slow to be taken up.

I'm not sure if there would be enough of a flavour leakoff from a standard boilie and it would be a case of making your own, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
The rig would need a bit of thought, as most sea fish have teeth in the mouth and not in the throat.
Something like a pennel rig with the hair coming off of the top hook and looping over the bottom one and an oblong boilie running the length of the hair.
Very intriging subject and worthy of further investigation and thought.

P

p jackson

carp angler had any more thoughts!would a standard type hair(braid)on say a no1 not be ok? as for the boilies they would better being disc shape would they not (like a crab)and if bait is before hook,hooking in the throat would be less as fish will close mouth to swallow so hooking itself in mouth area.
can a boilie be made with alot more flavour without making to soft and would you use bait peaces in them or can you soak them in say fish oil to enhance them.
I'm willing to give it a go and let you all know,so more answers & idea's please
carp angler what are your colleagues thoughts on this one

C

Carp Angler

I'm away fishing for a couple of days, but when I get back on Friday, I'll tinker with some rigs and bait shapes and then post some piccies somewhere.
I already have an idea for bait ingredients and flavours.

What type and size of species are you aiming for?

P

p jackson

any of the summer fish ie bass will be the main target with ell & flounder/plaice a close second
if you're back on friday that will give you 10day's befor i go fishing in aussie enjoy your break

R

Rob Brownfield

U can get lugworm, crab, mussel and various other flavours so I reckon a plain fishmeal base mix should do the job, but drop the *boilies* into a dip with one of these flavours and soak it for at least 48 hours.
I think it would be a total waste of time going for any flash baits such as Big Fish Mix etc and would probably get some of Nev Ficklings base mixes as they are cheap, have a more porous texture and bind well.

What about making up Peeler crab flavoured and shaped baits but before boiling, mould the hook into the bait with the point standing proud. That way you can boil for several minutes to produce a hard bait, then air dry for 24 hours, and bingo, a crab bait that will taste devine (hmmm) and will be castable without fear of it flying off. Its a bit like side hooking a boilie.
You could add foam to make it hover just above bottom too...geeeez.....i must give this a go!!

R

Rob Thompson

Frank Warwick has caught six or seven species using boilies in the sea. From what you would expect (mullet), through to mackeral, scad and black bream. I've fed them to feeding mullet at Christchurch in one of the side streams when I was about fifteen, they were so easy to catch with spinners / worm that we didn't bother going any further with it.

P

p jackson

Hi rob glade it got you thinking (WOULD IT WORK)when you have given it a go please let me now how you got on. boilie moulded on the hook hadn't thougth of that,that way would let you cast a bait a long way without it disintergrating before it hit the water &there will be no masking of the hook great eh! question would you soak in flavour befoe are after boiling.

P

p jackson

rob t did frank catch with a hair rig or just on the hook and were the fish court in a river estuary.

R

Rob Thompson

P

I'm not sure we had a quick chat about it at the N.E.C. I don't think he was fishing with a stiff rig and popped up fluoro boilie at 200yds.

I would imagine that they would work v. well if you can get fish feeding with confidence. A shirvey or rubby dubby mix to bait up from rocks etc, feed fragments of boilie with the chum if the fish start hitting it pop a piece on your hook.

R

Rob Brownfield

I would make up the fake crabs, soak them for 24 hours, then freeze. That wat, u can put them on the rig frozen, so that u get a flavour boost as soon as it hits bottom, then the flavour will leak out over time.

P

p jackson

soaking in the flavour(sinking in)wonder if carp angler as got any more ideas yet as i'm thinking! of using a wishbone rig
would we also use the hair?

C

Carp Angler

Sorry, haven't forgotten just been a bit busy at work.
I will get around to do something this week.

P

peter webber

What about using a swimfeeder ( see AM April 7 for pic page 52 ) and puting some foam in it soaked with a flavour ie crab/mussel or squid this then would send out a sent trail to your bait.

Pete

C

Carp Angler

I tried that whilst codding last winter and never had a sniff with it.
Flavour was Hutchy Monster Crab.