bouncing bomb on big rivers

nenboy

Reaction score
have read a couple of reports on decent barbel catches on the trent and severn which seem to suggest the use of fishing a light bomb and letting it basically go with the flow with your chosen hookbait attached,seems to be a cross between fishing static and properly rolling a bait down the river ,as I only fish these rivers a few times a season I haven't had any bank time to try it ,has anyone any tried this method ?

jasonbean1

Reaction score
It does work well in the summer, I've used it on the middle Severn with a small dinsmore flat bomb. Just pellet on the hook and loose feed with catapult. Set a good bow in the line and a twitch every now and then gets the bomb skidding through.

dicky123

Reaction score
While it doesn't matter, I think rolling meat, and bomb bouncing (if thats what you call it, are different)

For years we have been moving leads through swims to find fish. It could be casting a lead across stream, and lifting the tip on occasion. To casting upstream and doing the same, both are as old as the hills and catch fish. I do this a lot when touch ledgering for chub.

Rolling meat is slightly different I feel. You use little or no weight, and hold the rod high, allowing the bait to slowly move through the water, not unlike high sticking with a weighted nymph when fly fishing. Also the angler is mobile moving from swim to swim.

Bites on both techniques are felt by hand, watching the tip, or tip movements.

I'm not being pedantic, but feel there is a difference However I'd not argue about it?:D

theartist

Reaction score
Had a chap below me on the Severn a few weeks back using a very light lead, It caught my attention as it wasn't the usual thud hitting the water. He did ok too.

Would it be fair to say since the hair rig became commonplace a rolling or bouncing lead has become rare? I remember it used to be all the rage back in the 80s