Braid for beach fishing 2

PIKEMAN

Reaction score
Firstly , thanks for the info about braid for beach fishing, now there are a few other questions i have for you all, this may be a stupid question but with the high strengths of braid do i still need to use a shock leader, i use fixed spool reels ,(Daiwa GS9000 Millionmax and Shimano Biomaster GT 8000) does the same principle apply with loading the reel with a small amount of mono to stop spool slip of the braid and finaly whats the best knot to use for joining braid to shock leader (if i need to use one) i pendulum cast, so i don`t know if this has any bearing on the answer to these questions. Thanks in advance.

Ian Pickering

Reaction score
Hi,
first of all, always use a shockleader at the rate of 10lbs per ounce of weight, braid is no different to any other line when it comes under critical strain, it will break and you will have a 5 or 6 oz. weight flying off at the speed of sound. Therefore usual rules apply, 5oz weight minimum 50lb leader etc. I use braid from the beach on both multipliers and f/s reels. I have found that with f/s reels there are few problems either casting or retrieving but with a multi I had to use an extra long s/leader otherwise the leader bedded into the braid with the inevitable crack off. You will find that putting mono on your spool first will enable you to fill it to the lip at a fraction of the cost of using braid only, its a matter of guesswork as to how much mono. I use an eight or ten turn grinner when tying the braid to the leader. Hope this helps

alan

Reaction score
the other reason to use a shock leader with braid is so that you dont cut you finger when power casting.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Always a shock leader 10Ib per oz of lead plus 10Ib as always been my rule 5oz lead equals 60Ib shock leader. I always ensure that i have at least 6 turns on the reel.

Braid to Leader. use a grinner and butt it against a blob on the leader created by melting the end of the leader line with a lighter.

Hope this helps

PIKEMAN

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help lads, i have always used a shockleader for every occasion,it`s with the advances in tackle and me being out of circulaion for a while ( no i have`nt been in the nick, lol )i thought there might be some wonder braid that ommitted the use of a shockleader, hey Brian , is that a reliable knot, to be honest with you mate i have always used the overhand knot with the thinner line passing through it and then a grinner knot tied in the thinner line and slid down.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Thats the one i used untill i was introduced to the blob. It makes a lot thinner knot which flows through the eyes a lot easier. Try it you will not be disapointed.

Ian Pickering

Reaction score
I have used the blob knot and yes it is a lot thinner. You have to be sure though that when you heat the end of the leader to form a blob you don't make the line brittle. Always give it a test tug after tying to be sure.

ian hewett

Reaction score
I used braid on the beach once and was well impressed with it. It seems to cut through the weed unlike mono and the sensitivity is great but I did bump a fish off in the margin probably due to a lack of stretch so take it easy when landing fish. I would make sure you casting is up to scratch before using braid as it could get very expensive!!

P

Phil & Jo Hyde

No-one has mentioned using superbraid with a multiplier - yet!
I have used several brands of these for shore fishing, and the one to use is the fusion technology version. Slightly thicker, I load my spool right to the rim with the new braid, then walk all the line off when I get on the beach, along the surfline, with a 6 oz. lead on. Rewinding gives a firmly packed braid. The reels are run with firmer control than with mono, but I can still cast more than far enough for any type of fishing I do, including extreme range. In strong lateral tides, I am still using 25lb braid with a 50lb shock leader, and the braid is as thin as 10lb. mono line. One good thing is all the braids I use float, which means the line is less likely to get buried in shingle when it gets a bit rough. One point - if you try superbraid, do not try to tighten or wind down to a breakout lead, just gently tighten - up, a bite is unmissable, and DO NOT STRIKE AS IF USING MONO, just a gentle lift is all thats needed.
Try it, you will be amazed. I now use 125 instead of 150 grams, and 150 instead of 175, and can use lighter rods all round, with all the benefits, easier casting, no wrist strain, etc.

F

Frothey

the other 2 reasons to use a leader are a:as a "rubbing" leader - if braids get nicked and they'll break much easier and b: if you snag up, it'll break at the knot, not just somewhere between the lead and the rod tip.....

alan

Reaction score
Phil, is that with or without a levelwind?

i know that the levelwind sacrifices distance, but i can still get 140meters with it and bait(measured down the shore line)

what is it like for birdnests? ive heard that they can be worse then mono for them.

P

Phil & Jo Hyde

I use reels with and without levelwinds; for the heavy work I use Abu 6500CT rockets, for lighter work either a 5500c or a 6500c. For match type work I use a 6500CT elite (non-magnetic). Not all my reels are filled with braid; I use Stren as much as possible (Bass Pro Shops "Excel" mono is I am convinced, Stren with another label)rather than do what some "experts" recommend, refill every trip with cheap rubbish. Learn to cast with the cheap stuff, once you've got the hang, go over to the premium stuff. Yes you can tell the difference, and it lasts. I've had stren on one reel for seven years, and it is still fine. as for distances, with a 6500CT Elite i,ve cleared 185 yards with 25lb Herculine micro and a 50lb leader and 125g. with the same outfit and mono, I can clear 220 yards so there is some loss (reel is tightly controlled), as an overrun with braid hurts!! (My pocket, i'm referring to!!).
Hope this helps,
Philthefish.