Bream Ground bait

N

Neil Wayte

Graham I would be gratefull for your thoughts on this subject,bearing in mind it must be catapulted out.Many thanks.
Neil

J

john conway

Neil & Graham I would also like to hear your thoughts on this subject of ground baiting for Bream as this will be my target species this year, if we get a this year?
My contribution to this is: -
I have come to the conclusion, not all on my own, Matt and a couple of other River Lune lads have also come to the same conclusion, that the hot spot where we fish probably holds bream most of the time during the winter it’s just a matter of getting them to feed. It took me at least three of four trips and two new catapults to get the consistence of the ground bait just right so that it could be catapulted forty metres. In the end I settled on a commercial mix, “Double Concentrate Irish” from Whizzo ground baits @ ?6.50 a bag (no weight on the half bag I have left, but I guess it would have been about 3Kg full). I mixed this as instructed on the bag 50/50 with brown crumb. Don’t know what the other lads have been using but we have all had Hybrids to 5lb and Bream to 11lb. The hook bait is always worm or bread in the winter. I was going to have a session of per-baiting running up to the closed season but the Foot & Mouth put an end to that.
I would very much like to mix my own ground bait and experiment with flavored bread flake. I would also be grateful for any advice on mixing bread flake into my ground bait so that it all stays intact for a forty-metre throw.

N

Neil Wayte

Trying to be as cost effective as possible John.I intend to be using huge amounts because there are some huge shoals of doubles in the water.Fished for them thursday friday but had trouble with my ground bait breaking up.The base is Vitalin which I think is to course for bream okay for carp.

P

Paul Williams

Huge shoals of doubles eh? would you like me to bring my little boat down? i'll row the groundbait out into nice breamy dinner tables that will have em grazing for hours!! loads of particles dead mags, rice, hemp,etc etc, might even put a bit in your swim!! goo on!!

N

Neil Wayte

Thats part of the problem Paul no boats allowed.If they were then getting the ground bait right would be no problem.I was interested in what mix people use ie how much brown crumb and white crumb.
Layers Mash with brown crumb and Molasis seems a favorite.Just loking for a bit of guidance.
How long would it take you to get from the Black country to heathrow cos a guest ticket is no problem and your more than welcome.

N

Neil Wayte

It's still abit cold at the moment.As mentioned earlier I have just spent 36 hours on the water.I did see the odd bream roll but not the numbers that you will see in a few weeks time.A bit of a pre emptive strike this week.

P

Paul Williams

Neal,
shame no boats, but i might hold you to the offer of a guest ticket later in the year!!....my own groundbait is similar to what you have aready discribed but i do like lots of particles put down so i personally would be looking at spodding if i couldn't get the boat on.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Neil, all, I've just posted an article on this topic. Click here: <a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=r&UAN=984>'Groundbait for Bream'.

P

Paul Williams

Nice one Graham !! whilst there i took a look at the others, does the place you took your spectacular 2hr catch from still produce?

N

Neil Wayte

April/May best time then they seem to disappear into 30 acres of water.

N

Neil Wayte

Thanks Graham a great read and full of good advice.Can't get my head around using boilies for bream,silly I know but I spend enough time fishing with them for carp.That statement also seems silly when looking at my rigs which are basically paternoster bolt rigs.
To get away from groung bait all together I guess a large carpet of spodded particle type baits would also work ie dead flavoured maggots trout pellets hemp and odd pieces of corn.I read some where(Tony Miles I think) that some of the Queensford bream came to a small amout of particle feed with no ground bait at all.
Although Kingsmead 1(thats the water I'm fishing) does not hold fish of that stamp it is probably one of the best volume doubles waters around the M25.This type of baiting would work.Any further thoughts would make interesting reading.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Paul, Strangely enough that particular Cheshire mere never has produced big catches other than that one.

I think the most fish it ever produced in one session, other than my catch, was five, three of those were doubles. Many of the members, and all are experienced anglers, have yet to catch one double in the 7 or 8 years they been members. Doubles are more common than singles by the way. It's the same water where I caught my PB of 14lb 1oz.

I dropped out of the syndicate four years ago and I believe it has only produced four or five doubles each year to the 20-odd members. They know the big bream are still there because they occasionally see them roll.

It's a very difficult water, even more difficult than the usual Cheshire mere.

P

Paul Williams

Neil,
Thanks again for the offer.
Graham,
Make's your day all the more special....don't think i'll try to find it though, i know plenty of hard waters!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Neil, without knowing more about the water you're fishing it's hard to offer more advice. But particle spodding sounds like a good bet for you. I'd be inclined to trying loading a swim with groats, caster, chopped worm, feeder maggot, and maggot.

You can spod live maggot okay and that they'll bury in the silt and weed is an advantage. They'll keep the bream rooting longer, trying to get at them. Not all the maggot will stay buried. Enough of them keep reappearing on the surface of the silt to trigger the bream into rooting for them.

P

Paul Williams

I am now salivating at the mouth at the thought of a warm night and big bream !!!!

N

Neil Wayte

Thanks Graham thats more than enough info for my tiny carp orientated brain to digest.Just hope the tempretures pick up again towards next weekend.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I know what you mean Paul about hard waters. I dropped out of the syndicate because I'm no longer prepared to put so much time into catching them as I used to. Nobody hears about all the nights you spend for not a sign of a bite.

That's one of the reasons I fish rivers more often these days. They're so much easier to catch fish from than stillwaters, for any species.

But I also know what you mean about those warm nights spent after big bream, when you can see or hear them rolling in the distance. And why I still fish for them on easier waters now and again.

Magic moments that will never be understood by those who have never tried to catch big bream; those who, in innocence and ignorance, call them snotties and other derogatory names that tell you just one thing: they've never tried it.

P

Paul Williams

I reckon what we need for spodding like this is a spod that will turn in flight as the line is stopped (by the clip)this would "scatter" the bait a little more than a standard spod.....my old mate Merv Wilkinson has knocked up a particle deliverer that might do this so i'll give it a try!!

M

Malcolm Bason

Hi Neil, now - as far as I am concerned you and all on here seem to know a darned sight more about fishing, bait, rigs and so on, than me. However what I'm gonna say may be helpful, it may not - if the latter, then just ignore it! And I'll go and sulk in the corner somewhere!!! LOL

If you look at the "Used Tackle" ads in the fishing weekly's you will see they advertise "10 bags of groundbait for ?10" Now, at a quid a bag, one can't go wrong as far as I'm concerned! I order mine from there and have thus far received an equal amount of two different types: (1) 'Brazeam' & (2) just called 'Strawberry'. They come in 1 kilo bags. Brazeam contains Mollasses, and the latter is self explanatory. They are quite a fine mix, but mixed together (one of each for eg.) with the appropriate amount of water, they bind together pretty well and the 'sweetness' that bream love can be enhanced by a syruppy flavour such as strawberry or banana - which in turn, I find, binds the mix together even better.

As a further attractor I will add x-seed which contains everything and which I get from "Carp-Lines" And it still binds together for distance catapulting. As has already been suggested, perhaps larger amounts of seed, particles, etc, could be spodded out.

I should add that though they cost a quid a bag, there is ?5 postage to be added, but I always make the point of ordering a few other smallish items to make it more cost effective - if you see what I mean?