Browning Sphere MGTi 940/950reel

mikench

Reaction score
Has anyone seen or bought one of the above. The spec looks impressive with a few innovative features.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Has anyone seen or bought one of the above. The spec looks impressive with a few innovative features.

I've looked at them in the past. Having Sphere rods, I've idly wondered about getting one since. However, the reality is that there's nothing particularly special about them. The innovative features and light weight that Browning promote are largely illusory. They don't have any particularly innovative features and they aren't particularly light. I suspect that they are badge engineered reels from the far east. They share features with a few other reels from other brands. That's not to suggest that they aren't perfectly good reels, but they may not be any better than many others out there or better than some you already have. One thing they will do is look pretty on your Sphere rod.

mikench

Reaction score
You are right Sam about the reel matching rod and luggage.?. It's an idea for an xmas pressie from my daughter. Thanks for the link Steve but the 920 is the smallest size and they don't have the 940 or 950 at that price.

rayner

Reaction score
How many reels do we need, I have just a few months ago bought a couple of cadence reels two for one. I only bought them for spares.
I Have a Sphere bomb rod it is a nice rod bar for the shape of the rod butt which I do not really like. I can manage without a Browning reel. I do favour Shimano reels mostly for the baitrunner aspect to release the tension on the rod after landing fish. The sphere reel does not have a baitrunner, that is another strike against the reel.

sam vimes

Reaction score
You are right Sam about the reel matching rod and luggage.?. It's an idea for an xmas pressie from my daughter. Thanks for the link Steve but the 920 is the smallest size and they don't have the 940 or 950 at that price.

That's fair enough. Be a little wary of the sizing and weight of the reels you are thinking of. 4000(940) and especially 5000(950) size reels may be a bit much for a 13/14' Sphere Match rod. If they are for a Sphere tip rod it might not be an issue. In the same vein, a 2000(920) might be a little small.