Bullheads and Stone Loach

P

Phil Husselbury

My first two fish, twenty five years ago, were a bullhead and a stone loach and I've never caught an example of either since. Can anyone help with any venues in the Berkshire/Bucks/Oxon or general South East area where either of these little fellows can be caught, pref on a day ticket?

Grateful Thanks.

M

mervyn jones

Before the recent floodings there was a re-established head of both stonies and bullies in the river Darent in Kent but as it has been in raging flood for about 6 months it's anybodies guess whether there are any left now or where they might have got to. As to catching them on rod and line thats something I've never tried as a kid I used to catch them by hand and use them as bait for lunking chub . good luck in your search.

C

Carp Angler

The bullhead is the Millars thumb yes?

If so, I've caught them in the middle reaches of the Hants Avon and the lower Severn.
Not the areas you want, but weird fish......

P

p jackson

thanks for reminding me about these little fish i'll now take my son's net fish (chilren's nets)this summer (thing)permitting. never caught one on rod and line. mit try it for fun.

P

Phil Husselbury

Thanks, guys, for the answers so far. Is the River Darent available on a day ticket or is a club book necessary? Sorry to sound like an anorak about these little guys but they kick started my fishing life and I've never seen either since. Strangely the bullhead was caught on four maggots on a hook way too big (prob a 12 or 10) and the stone loach right in front of me whilst waiting for a canal boat to pass. Happy days, how many of you guys remember your first fish with such clarity...?

Then there was the 8 meter Garbolino pole Dad bought me for Christmas that year. But that's another story...

R

Rob Brownfield

Phil. My first fish was a Roach of about 2 oz. Infact, my first 70 or so fish were Roach of this size. All taken on a single white maggot, size 16 hook, 4 pound line, a large quill float and a 9 foot solid glass (blue) rod made in the Chech republic.
All caught from the Little Warren in Stanford-le-hope, Essex. I loved that place. Weed choked, FULL of stunted Roach and the odd big carp that would every so often glide through my swim, sending me into a state of awe!
I progressed onto the Big Warren a year later, this time with proper gear, and caught so loverly Tench, big roach and bream, but I always had to go back and knock out those wee roach.
Phil, thanx for reminding me of those wonderful childhood days!

M

Mervyn Jones

Re the river Darent, most of the river appears to be free fishing i.e. I have never been asked for any memberships or day ticket money . There are a couople of stretches that are controllled by trout syndicates but most of the accesible parts are free. If you are serious about your search I would suggest you try the picnic area at Horton Kirby ,Westminster fields . Officialy this is a no rod and line fishing area but in inclement weather and early mornings a blind eye is turned.Good luck on your hunt ,

regards,Mervyn Jones

P

Phil Husselbury

Mervyn,

Thanks so much for that. I know it sounds a bit odd but I'd definitely like to catch them both again. You don't get (m)any of either in grim, industrial Northern canals but now I'm exiled close to the southern chalk streams, Game On. they have been warned!! Thanks again, mon ami.

P

Paul Williams

CARP ANGLER,
It has been decided at the highest level of the Millers thumb appreciation society that you are to either be expelled or face trial by thumb!!! you know it is against our code of practice to publicly give out thumb hotspots!!!!! trial by thumb? a dead thumb is inserted head first into all your body orafices and then slowly withdrawn,allowing all those nasty sharp bits the thumb is endowed with to open up on withdrawal if you so much as whimper you are expelled any way!!! wierd fish indeed!!!!!!

P

Phil Husselbury

Paul,

Yep, a weird fish indeed but the first fish you catch always stays with you and it's one of the few things I've encountered with worse looks than me. Tight Lines.

G

Goose Ganderton

Nice one Paul, mind you I would rather have a thumb up me bum than that Perch/ Roach that you are holding

A

Andy Nellist

My youngest son regularly catches bullheads from the brook at the end of my road in Tring where they grow v large for bullheads. I have caught smaller ones by accident in both Startops and Wilstone Reservoirs. But its close season on the stream and the reservoirs are shut because of foot and mouth.

There are still loach present in numbers in the river Ver at Park Street near St Albans. We used to catch them with nets when I was a kid but never on baits.

P

Phil Husselbury

Andy,

Thank you very much for the info. Will bear that in mind.

J

john conway

Use to take my girls fishing in two of our local Dales Rivers “The Wenning and the Greata” we caught both Bullheads and Stone Loach by hand or with a child’s fishing net or combined tactics. I’ve often thought of keeping a fresh water aquarium and these two little fellers would certainly be included. By the way does anyone have a cold-water aquarium?

P

Paul Williams

John,
That brings back memories! long school hols, fishing for sticklebacks,red bellied butcher!! and bringing them home in a jar to keep in an old bath at the bottom of the garden, the only worry was how long a wash could be avoided.....:eek:)

R

Ron Clay

I have very fond memories of the bullhead, Millers Thumb or Sculpin as it's called in US. The Notts rivers Ryton, Maun and Meden used to be full of them. Turning over stones of the river bed and grabbing used to work. We also got stone loach on this way.
Happy days