Burbot

B

binka

Just listened to quite an informative programme on Radio 4 about the Burbot, quite a few things I never knew including the last known capture in England, they are a member of the Cod family and have a present day relevance in Rotherham dating back to the 1300's :confused:

Quite easy listening when you've got half an hour...

BBC Radio 4 - Natural Histories, Burbot

greenie62

Reaction score
Quite a nice little article. The unfortunate thing - from the Burbot's point of view - was that the program had quite a slant towards the culinary aspects of the Burbot - maybe not the best way to start a groundswell of support for re-introduction of a species! :eek::eek::eek:mg:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
was that the program had quite a slant towards the culinary aspects of the Burbot - maybe not the best way to start a groundswell of support for re-introduction of a species!

. . . from an environmental aspect I would totally agree with you.

However, form the culinary stand point, then poached Burbot with a beurre blanc sauce is a thing of beauty, and one of the tastiest benthic fish . . . . . .

Windy

Reaction score
Quite a nice little article. The unfortunate thing - from the Burbot's point of view - was that the program had quite a slant towards the culinary aspects of the Burbot - maybe not the best way to start a groundswell of support for re-introduction of a species! :eek::eek::eek:mg:

Surely the other way round..... I have gone from never having heard or cared about the species to looking forward to lobbying hard for its re-introduction. And a tax break on light hollandaise sauce ;)

The bad one

Reaction score
I watched a programme over the weekend down at my lad's (well part of, the grandkids were trying to stop me watching by wanting me to play with them)
It was on the Alps, France I think, on one of the Sky channels. Don't ask me which one, I'm a Public Broadcasting man, so won't have it at home. But there was a piece on Burbot on it, rather good shots of one feeding on fish eggs.
As I don't know how Sky works, and don't want to, those that do, might still be able to access it and watch it.

Philip

Reaction score
I notice people mention (re)-introduction to the UK but wasnt there some people out there trying to prove they were not actually extinct by catching one ? ...I think even **** Walker had a go way back didnt he...

Makes me wonder .....if any of those hardcore long stay bivvy boys are fed up fishing for Gertie the 50 on some massive gravel pit & fancy a REAL challenge perhaps they should setup on a remote streach of the river Cam and ledger some lobworms...

Now THAT would be a catch to really brag about wouldnt it ;)

flightliner

Reaction score
. . . from an environmental aspect I would totally agree with you.

However, form the culinary stand point, then poached Burbot with a beurre blanc sauce is a thing of beauty, and one of the tastiest benthic fish . . . . . .
Even better with a starter of eggs benedict:wh.

theartist

Reaction score
Really interesting stuff reading about the Burbot so copied this article from 2010.

'Extinct' burbot spotted in River Eden and Great Ouse
By Angling Times
General News
09 July 2010 15:00

Presumed to have been extinct since the 1970s, two recent sightings have sparked hopes that burbot could still be clinging to survival.

The last living specimen of the distinctive species was captured from Cambridgeshire’s River Cam in 1969, and since then none has been seen in the wild…until now.

Just weeks apart, at different ends of the country, anglers have reported witnessing burbot swimming in our rivers, news which has sparked an impromptu Environment Agency netting operation to see if any specimens can be caught.

The first sighting was made by 49-year-old lifelong angler John Kitson, from Norwich, who had a mystery 2ft 6ins-long fish rest at his feet for five minutes while he was wading a stretch of the River Eden in Cumbria.

“The fish was unlike anything I’d seen in 40 years of angling,” said John.
“It was blotchy, with a rounded head, a long dorsal fin and a stubby little tail. I’m positive it wasn’t a catfish or a lamprey. A friend suggested it might be a burbot and when I got home and Googled a burbot image online I thought ‘Oh my God, that’s it’.

“I feel privileged to have seen a fish that’s supposed to be extinct. I can guarantee that it’s not!” he added.

The second sighting, by French-born angler Emmanuel Hovette, was made on the Great Ouse below the sluice downstream of The Pike and Eel pub, at Needingworth in Cambridgeshire.

“I was perch fishing with my partner when we spotted two marbled-brown, 2ft-long fish which I’m certain were burbot, a species I’ve caught from the River Cher, near Bourges in France, on numerous occasions,” said Holywell-based Emmanuel, who has a masters degree in fisheries.

“I spotted them in clear water 1m deep and I immediately though ‘burbot’. It was only when I returned home and went online that I realised they’re meant to be extinct in the UK. That clearly isn’t the case. I reported my sighting to the EA and they said that they might try netting the area to see if they can catch any,” he added.

In 2007, fisheries scientist Ian Wellby, then a lecturer at Brooksby Melton College, successfully bred burbot as part of plans to eventually reintroduce the species to UK rivers.

“We don’t know all that much about the nation’s rivers – the EA’s fisheries surveys aren’t that extensive and anglers don’t fish them that much, so isolated populations could have survived undetected all these years. It’s unlikely, but it is possible,” he said

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Could the sightings have been a snakehead!!?

One caught in the Witham a few years ago.

What are the chances, Ray?

Hope not nasty critters .. i used to keep one in an aquarium got to almost 2 foot long whole makerel down in one gulp 2 a day till it charged the end of the aquarium at full tilt for some reason and killed itself pity in a way i had had it from about 1.5 inches long ...

But nasty all the same . no way would i put my hand in that tank at all :wh

PG ..

Philip

Reaction score
...no picture... but it was definitely a Burbot says the captor.

🤨

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Probably a small wells catfish or another catfish species. Outside chance of a pleco, which would survive at current water temperatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badgerale

Reaction score
Why hasn't there been any reintroductions made?.

edit: seems there are plans, but i'm not sure why it hasn't already happened.

Philip

Reaction score
I wonder why no one has lugged one over in a bucket from Europe and claimed they caught it in the Thames yet ...

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Why hasn't there been any reintroductions made?.

edit: seems there are plans, but i'm not sure why it hasn't already happened.

I don’t believe canals were really their natural habitat. I would suggest that a reintroduction would fail. There must be a reason that they became extinct and if it’s because of pollution, abstraction, etc. then I doubt the situation has improved and any reintroduction would almost certainly be doomed to failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
This seems extraordinarily unlikely! I also can't work out why, in this age of phone cameras, a photo wasn't immediately taken, if just to help work out what it was. I'm thinking it's a miss-ID. And a costly one for the EA, because they'll have to investigate it!

Philip

Reaction score
There must be a reason that they became extinct

Someone will probably correct me but wasnt it because they were used as feed for animals & fertilizer and were basically captured to extinction ?

Not that I have ever eaten one but being a cod I suspect it probably tastes quite good..

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
Someone will probably correct me but wasnt it because they were used as feed for animals & fertilizer and were basically captured to extinction ?

Not that I have ever eaten one but being a cod I suspect it probably tastes quite good..
Yes and no. They were used as feed, because they were so common and easy to get hold of. However they went extinct because of the usual reasons: habitat loss and pollution. They're a migrating species and dams cause a bit of a problem for that, but also poor water quality.

Some evidence suggest they're vulnerable to introduced species as well, so quite how well any reintroduction would go when we've gained a new apex predator in zander, I'm not quite sure...