Burghley House lake

M

MarkTheSpark

I can't find anyone with any up-to-date info on how this place performs. Maybe someone could post or PM me some details - anticipating a run over there on Sunday.

honslow

Reaction score
As I understand it you can only fish one very short section of bank Mark. The lake's rammed with bream, but also boasts plenty of tench, roach and some fairly big carp. I understand that it's not very deep and is pretty silty (as you'd expect).

M

MarkTheSpark

Not been there yourself, then Greg? I'm told it was dregded a few years back because of a problem with oxygenation and now much better. But it doesn't seem like many people have fished it recently.

I remember the bream from matches, but I'm hoping there's a pike or two in it (actually, I know there is, from the Burghley tree surgeon).

M

MarkTheSpark

Well, I went to Burghley - what a terrible shame. It has been allowed to become silted very, very badly, and I could find only one spot where it was deeper than 2 feet.

I know it offers public fishing in the end of the lake west beyond the bridge, but don't bother. They need to spend some money there and get the dredger in.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Hi Mark, Yes i fish it every year at the mayday bank holiday it is very shallow at the west end but if you fish off the concrete valve you will get about 4-5 foot 15 yds out, ive had as many as 15 bream in an evening session upto 8lb tench to 6lb+ all on float and feeder ive seen the carp at the other end of the lake theres some very big ones (upto appx 30lb i should think). Dont think they can get past the bridge ive never seen one anyway.Had the odd pike follow my feeder only small must be bigger ones , never seen any roach topping ,I fish 6pm until 1am suppose that makes a difference as well, mate of mine had a 3 and a half pound rudd there about 4 year ago sorry infos late only just read the thread
Derek

M

MarkTheSpark

if you fish off the concrete valve you will get about 4-5 foot 15 yds out

I plumbed it and couldn't find more than 4 feet anywhere - by the concrete, as you say. Pleased to hear there's a few fish about, but what a shame it hasn't been dredged. It would be a fabulous fishery.