Camera Action Fishing Pictures

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Now here's a thought, am I the only angler in the world who does not take pictures of my catch or do others not bother? From very early on in my fishing campaign :) I decided that taking pictures was just not something I wanted to do. My main reason for this is that I tend to see every catch as an exercise on getting the fish back in the water and unhooking it as quickly as possible. The approach of holding the fish up and then smiling over it for me has no appeal. So what about everyone else? Are you catch snappers or do you also use the memory of the mind to remember your catch? I have only thought about this because I caught a lovely Tench today and as luck would have it the bailiff was hovering. When he asked me if I had a camera I told him no and he gave me a very strange look. Picture or not guys?

mikench

Reaction score
Good to see you posting. I will take a snap of a nice fish, big or small for the HDYGO thread as I consider a report with photos is so much more enjoyable. I rarely if ever hold a fish in classic pose being content to take a pic after unhooking the fish in the landing net and just before it’s returned to the water.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Maybe it's something to do with my poor memory? I need "prompts" to recall so many things and I find a photo brings back to my mind the whole story surrounding it.

It's the same with old fishing magazines, without the photos I would quickly have forgotten even the most interesting story. My memory is very much image based!

One of my most useful tools to help my memory recently has been Google Earth. I found that you can do your own project on Google Earth and attach your own photos and links to YouTube or other info.

Using Google Earth, and my many photos, I pieced together an enormous amount of info in a form my mind has struggled to keep in any order previously. Now I use my project to give me visual clues when making plans for fishing and camping in my area of France. Now I can see all the places I have visited or have info on I am astounded how much my brain can hold - and realise how important photos are to my mind organising and retrieving that information.

Screenshot 2022-08-09 8.23.45 AM.png

It works well for me! I don't expect, now that I have passed 70, that my memory will get any better - but with photos and other visual prompts hopefully I can still retrieve these memories ;)

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
I am with the OP on this. I almost always fish alone so apart from the occasional snap on the mat, my focus is to get the fish back in the water asap.

Each to their own, but I cringe when I see some of the palaver that some anglers go through to get a picture they can post on Instachat or something else.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I try to get a picture of the day as much as possible. Most of my photos of fish are in the net. I rarely take selfies but I carry a bank stick and phone adapter for the once in a lifetime shot. I carry scales but only use them for exceptional fish.

Sometimes the beauty of the surroundings are worth recording or interesting sights that you see while you are there.
41e86f0c1103eb95eef0236cafcf2ab2.jpg

62ce7a273442306a8247d2930263d2b9.jpg

These three photos are from the fish in before last at Boddington Reservoir and show the change in the weather within a few hours. And a fish in the net shot. On its own the fish on the net could be anywhere but along with the other photos serve as a reminder of the day.

efd7b0b0594f595769f6f6e62de0a4c2.jpg

2c49b9108cbefc585fc6f5442c1c2982.jpg

3321a19dcb53bf3ab838154eefbb914b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john step

Reaction score
I try to get a picture of the day as much as possible. Most of my photos of fish are in the net. I rarely take selfies but I carry a bank stick and phone adapter for the once in a lifetime shot. I carry scales but only use them for exceptional fish.

Sometimes the beauty of the surroundings are worth recording or interesting sights that you see while you are there.
41e86f0c1103eb95eef0236cafcf2ab2.jpg

62ce7a273442306a8247d2930263d2b9.jpg

These three photos are from the fish in before last at Boddington Reservoir and show the change in the weather within a few hours. And a fish in the net shot. On its own the fish on the net could be anywhere but along with the other photos serve as a reminder of the day.

efd7b0b0594f595769f6f6e62de0a4c2.jpg

2c49b9108cbefc585fc6f5442c1c2982.jpg

3321a19dcb53bf3ab838154eefbb914b.jpg

That was one hell of a wet day wasnt it.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
That was one hell of a wet day wasnt it.

I’ve only just dried out. What a difference a few hours make. Oddly, as the weather improved the fishing got worse. I binned that jacket and bib & brace after that trip. I fished directly into the wind, brave or stupid? On balance stupid because it didn’t benefit me at all.
4d5ee2bb3cc1911339d2f9912ddd3f5c.jpg

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Great to hear from you all and glad to hear so many have methods for snapping. I have just realised that I have once or twice taken a picture on the net (very rare) however I have seen guys and gals that do the following.
1. Catch Fish.
2. Put it in the landing net.
3. Place it on the matt.
4. Weight it.
5. Realise that the batteries are gone in the scales and so hunt for the pack of batteries and then the scissors to open the pack.
6. Take what seems like an hour to find the correct pose or even worse search the pegs to find another angler to take the snap.
7. Stand and talk about the catch with the found cameraman.
8. Light up a Henry Wintermans and praise heaven / sorry that was a joke folks.
9. Release the fish.

So yeah, taking a quick snap in the net sounds good.

Once again mikench you are on the same wavelength and great to hear from you also. That Drennan Series 7 has never let me down and has become the reel of choice, couldn't fish without it, was a nice 7lb Tech yesterday and for the lake that's a big one so well happy. Caught it on the Shakespear Agility Feeder and the be honest they are a match made in heaven (reel and rod). Hope your fishing is going great!

I guess a variation on the theme would be. Unhook in the net or not. Here comes another thread I feel.

nottskev

Reaction score
Taking a pic may or may not be related to bad angling. It all depends how far an angler has got their act together as regards the whole process of netting, unhooking and returning. Done the right way, a pic takes a second in a smooth operation that doesn't need to involve steps 4-8.

I unhook netted fish in or over the net between my knees. Bigger fish often can't be handled like that, so the fish, in the net, is laid on the mat and unhooked. A pic at this stage, with a phone camera already switched on and at hand, makes little difference.

I do share your disapproval, though, of people messing about setting up selfies or weighing run-of-the mill fish. And video presenters holding fish up for ages, when the fish can be taken in at a glance.

theartist

Reaction score
I take pictures of loads of average fish and when I get lucky some good ones, If I didn't I'd have nothing to draw, people shouldn't be under any pressure to take or not take photos of whatever they like, the more they do it the better they get, I can take a self catch photo quicker than I can weigh a fish now. If I do both then so be it, seeing certain fish grow for years and years on some waters I frequent shows I can't be doing them any harm, neither are others.

Philip

Reaction score
I guess it's a bit like taking holiday pictures..some take loads others less or none at all.

Weighing and self take can be very simple and quick. The key is to have everything ready and to hand so you dont have to go rummaging around. For example the camera or phone can be already setup and framing the mat before you unhook the fish so you can just unhook and take the picture in one go. Same for weighing. Wet sling plus scales next to mat and all already zeroed and ready to go.
Having a means to prop your landing net up in the water already in place is handy in case something does not go exactly to plan (..accidents happen..) so you can quickly get the fish back in the water and recompose yourself before having another go but in most cases having everything ready and to hand and a clear plan in.mind should avoid most pitfalls to minimise stress on the fish.

A nice photo of a special fish is something you can look back on in years to come. Memory's good but i am pleased when I have photos as well.

Last edited: