Car trouble

R

Rob Brownfield

I used to have a 125cc Vespa scooter. I could get a 100 litre rucksack between my legs, a 6 foot holdall across my back, and a couple of buckets of bait on the fromt legsheilds. I couldnt get up any hills though!

Trouble was, when it rained, because my helmet was on the bacnk, it used to get soaked. I had all sorts of rare moss and algae growning in it. I am sure the helmet could have been made a SSSI for its rare fauna.

R

Ron Clay

The true classic of course was Ray Webb's van - a Morris Minor ca 1961.

It looked old two weeks after he had bought it brand new. The roof rack was adapapted to take two rods made up with herrings attatched. Bedding for sleeping in consisted of an old mattress with housing a family of rats. To keep warm you wrapped a mixture of old sacking, landing nets , keepnets, snap tackles and wire traces around yourself.

In addition there were several boxes of herrings of dubious vintage, regular bluebottle hatches, jamjars full of salmon spawn, a plastic bucket containing livebaits, various old cans of mollasses, dead pheasant carcases, a matted and unholy pile of old Angling Times, at least 4 gallons of petrol in jerry-cans, an old primus stove and numerous bits of woolen jumper and sheepskin that had seen better days.

The odour pervading this van could be detected several miles away.