carp rods

B

big boy

Are carp rods any good for pier/rock work, is it worth buying a sea rod.

M

madpiker

carp roda would be ok for pier work,but not rock marks.there are plenty of beach rods at cheap prices around

B

big boy

what speices could i fish for. could i go for small bass and the likes of that?.

P

Phil & Jo Hyde

Carp rods tend to be through - actioned, a trait which in these rods slows and stops a fish of some size by appling continuous steady pressure, as does a salmon fly rod. They are rated using the old - fashioned "test curve", which was used mainly for split cane, which could be damaged if overloaded. A modern carbon stick can take rather more than a simple test curve indicates, for pier work opt for a 2.5lb T.C. rod by any of the reputable makers, you don't need SiC rings you can drive a train through, a size 25 butt ring is more than big enough. For comfort fit a decent grip, EVA or better still real cork for warmth and comfort. Forget looking cool, comfort is best.

Philtherod.

B

big boy

hears the good thing if i buy a carp rod i can use fixed spool. but if i buy a sea rod i have to look for one with different numbers of rings for fixed spool or multiplier

alan

Reaction score
most sea rods that ive come across can be got in either f/s or multiplier setups.
less and bigger rings is normally f/s and smaller and more is multiplier.
i used to use my multiplier on a f/s rod, and still use a f/s on my multi rod if i cant be bothered with the multi, ive never had a problem doing that so far.

M

magicdog

I bought a Ron Thompson 'Bass' rod complete with f/s reel a couple of years ago for ?35 new.
It's an ideal first pier/light surf rod and is probably a carp rod in disguise - I would estimate around 2lb TC.

For ?35 how can you fail?

B

big boy

I would'nt mind at all at that price i could buy new terminal tackle!!.

Stew

Reaction score
I've used a 2.5lb t/c carp rod at Gravesend for flounder,Deal pier and on the Medway at Chatham for pout with no problems. Actually, first sea fish I caught was on a bargain basement carp rod.

William Foxall

Reaction score
use a carp rod all summer 2-3oz lead 2 boom trace etc for bass flounder etc and side of stone jetty in morecambe in winter. 2half tc fixed spool reel, good fun.

Jeff

Reaction score
I too have fished from peir and rock marks with carp rods but found that bite indication has been the major problem.

THey will allow you to get your bait out there etc but the tip of the rod tends to bounce around like mad once you set them down and try to watch for bites...

I would strongly recommend you invest in a beach caster rod of about 12' with a casting strength of 6-8oz's. THis will not only give you the strength to get a heavy lead to firmly hold the bottom but will give you a firm enough tip (no jokes please) to effectively see bites. Also while working on rocks you could probably use the extra length of a 12' rod...

Lastly, you can use fixed spool reels here as your not having to cast a mile to get at the fish...

Cheers,
Jeff

William Foxall

Reaction score
i use awarrior carp rod or morecambe angling center has a zebco ste rod an baitrunner setfor 65 notes they dont bounce around that much and the bit indicater is fine,usin this type of set up for a while, but if yur fishin heavy rock mark, i have to agree with jeff, for winter you can use a float in summer.